Drinking

Is it a sin to drink for the effect (in other words a “buzz”)? Say a gentleman comes home and has a glass of whiskey to derive a sense of euphoria and relax a bit. Is he in a state of mortal sin now?

(I want to make clear that we’re talking about one or two drinks here, not slamming them back like an assembly line. Also, such drinking is not a coping mechanism for any serious problems/disorders. I think it’s clear that nobody should drink to deal with depression, anxiety, getting fired, etc.)

Doesn’t it say in the Bible that the Lord made wine to gladden our hearts? (Psalm 104)

There was also the Wedding at Cana (John 2). Jesus made a lot of wine, more than a hundred gallons, and that was after the guests had already got off to a good start, drinking all that was there to begin with.

For the record, I drink infrequently, only a few times a year, but I enjoy the feeling of a mild alcohol buzz. I don’t wish to drink more often because I feel that it would prevent me from enjoying life in other ways and getting the most out of life.

For most of my life I worked in a very stressful environment. Once a week, there was nothing that I enjoyed more than one whisky on ice after dinner. I never drank at work,nor have I ever been drunk in my life, as I never wanted to lose control.
However the thought that this one drink damned me forever to eternal punishment goes against my common sense. I believe in a caring Lord who may share a nip with His family when all this nonsense is over. Don’t fear Him for He loves us.

I find this interesting…I have never gotten any such feelings from imbibing…not a thing really…so it is a rare thing for me to bother…

Moderate and responsible drinking is fine. Drinking to excess or irresponsibly is not. Driving drunk, drinking to excess, and alcoholism violate the fifth commandment: thou shalt not kill. Alcohol loosens inhibitions so even if the drinking isn’t a sin, what we say or do after consuming some alcohol may well be sinful. We can enjoy some drinks as long as we understand these parameters and stay within them.

(As to what that particular persons state is I cannot say.)

Re-posting a post I did in the past:

When it is excessive there is sin. When drinking is contrary to temperance or health etc.

Examples of when drinking is grave sin (mortal sin) would be - getting “drunk” -that is -total loss of ones reason, drinking leading to other mortal sins, drunk driving…

Going beyond temperance can be venial sin (I set aside any question of driving…that brings other aspects into things…but suffice to say let someone else drive). Going beyond temperance in eating oreos too is a sin.

But what is temperance for one person may not be temperance for another. Body weight etc can come into play here.

I know for example that I ought not have more than two drinks (and not more than a few oreos!). Now someone else will say that about one drink. Someone else will say 2 1/2…

So can it be the case that a person on some occasion has a nice glass of wine (or other reasonable drink) to relax or as part of dinner or part of good recreation with friends etc - knowing that yes there will be effects from the alcohol- without sin? Yes.

(And one ought to look a new research as well in terms of health as well as the effects medically on a person of such and such a weight and it varies according to gender too - of how long it takes for the body to remove the alcohol.)

(And of course a person with a history of overdoing it -ought to take great care - and if any have say alcoholism - that is a “never drink” situation)

This is what my aunt said when I was 13-14 years old. She said, “whenever you begin to drink, you drink the beer don’t let the beer drink you”.

When I drink, it might be 1 or 2 at most. Predominantly I do so at home.

I would imagine if the people at that wedding were drinking so much, there was likely a lot of sinful things that started to take place as a result…?? I mean, thats just what happens when people in large groups consume large amounts of alcohol, fights, lusting, etc.

I dont know if Id go so far as to call driving drunk a sin though, in the cases where someone is killed, sure that would be sinful, but there are far more cases of people driving home after drinking too much, that have no problems and make it home fine, but these are non-events really, Im sure they happen all the time, I personally used to do this all the time in my younger days, I never had any problems.

So you think it would be fine to shoot a loaded gun into a crowd, as long as it didn’t hit anyone, no sin huh?

Drunk driving is a despicable sin and those who do it should be flogged.

Not even comparable…shooting a gun into a crowd is most likely going to result in some death…how often are there drunk driving related deaths? I here of them from time to time, but its not like they happen daily, but MANY MANY people do go out partying, drinking quite frequently, and many of them attempt to drive home afterwards, the majority make it without any issues.

You are delusional.

About one in three traffic deaths in the United States involve a driver with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or higher. Drivers with a BAC of 0.08% or higher (i.e., drunk drivers) are considered alcohol-impaired by law.

In 2014, 9,967 people died in the U.S. in alcohol-impaired crashes, down 1.4 percent from 10,110 in 2013, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

There was an alcohol-impaired traffic fatality every 53 minutes in 2014. (So, yeah you’re right - “its not like they happen daily”. NO, they happen HOURLY.)

There were 27 alcohol-impaired traffic fatalities every day on average in 2014.

Your attitude disgusts me.

Catechism of the Catholic Church

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. **Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness **or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

Driving drunk is a sin. End of story.

It’s an offense against charity in that it is disregard for the life of others.

It’s breaks the law. It’s a sin to break a just law.
geez…
A really solid case can be made that it’s mortal sin.

If that doesn’t impress…
It’s potentially catastrophic for you.
Look up someone who’s killed a family due to irresponsible behavior and see what sort of spiritual baggage they deal with.

Your first statement contradicts the second. Just add drunk driving to your first statement.

Also, There is nothing wrong with enjoying an occasional drink.

You are right, nothing wrong with the occasional drink.

What I was trying to say in the above posts, thru out the country, every single night, 100s of 1000s of people close the bar down, some of them choose to try and make it home driving, all I was saying is the majority DO make it home without killing anyone, yes they are taking a HUGE risk and I do consider it a sin if you kill someone when you are drunk behind the wheel.

Im in no way saying its right that people choose to try and drive though, the potential for disaster is always there, even if they have done it 100 times before with no problems.

Hello.

Nothing wrong whenever a person uses what God has given us for its intended purpose.

I don’t drink any more because it makes me itchy.

my two cents…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.