Drinks on Good Friday

Do drinks like coffee, soda, juice, etc. break the obligatory fast?

I was told they don’t.
But I struggle with this question a bit too. Mainly if it is drinks like juice that also give you energy. And thus lessen the hunger.
I felt it was ok to drink OJ at work this morning, I needed some energy, I couldn’t have done my job right, even like this it was hard I admit.

Kathrin

Fasting concerns the consumption of food. You can have the coffee, just skip the donut.

There are many that beers specifically brewed for the Lenten season, to sustain the body of those who are fasting. Paulaner Salvator was the first, originated by the Paulaner monks of Germany, and now many exist, such as Ayinger Celebrator and Lowenbrau Triumphator.

***If they have calories, they are food.

I would stick with water.***

It is my understanding that the Good Friday (Ash Wednesday would be the same case) fast is NOT like the pre-Communion Fast. There are different rules about what is allowed.

I really thought drinks were allowed, unless they are definitely food (such as thick milk shakes).

If you can drink it without using a spoon it is a liquid and can be taken except during the communion fast. Lots of juice and milk shakes, and such would seem to be legal, but hardly in the spirit of what Lent is all about. How about the person who gorges himself at the main meal so that the two collations or mini meals can be substantial? Legal, but hardly in keeping with the spiritual reasons for fasting. It was Isaiah { Isaiah 58:3-13} who said in so many words that unless fasting changed the heart, one was fasting in vain.

Lipsticks are often made with oils of various kinds - they get absorbed into the skin, and almost certainly contribute some calories. They ain’t food.

I have never seen or read anything indicating any prohibition relating to drinks for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Surely I hope our most loyal bishops would have spoken on this topic if it were an issue. We have weekly reminders about food inour bulletin never a word about drinks.

Do lipsticks now come with a “Nutrition Facts” label? Inquiring minds have to know. :smiley:

Fast applies only to solid food. Some would apply it also to semi-solids - a thick milk shake or a puree - a gray area.

On the other hand some feel that alcohol violates the spirit of the fast, but I don’t think it breaks the rule.

Ordinary liquids milk, coffee thin soups do not violate the penitential fast;they do violate the Eucharistic Fast.

I wonder if it matters whether you drink your drink because you’re thirsty, or because you are so very hungry that your body cries out for the sugar in the juice.

Ordinary liquids do not break the fast. So, no, canonically it really does not matter. As to the spiritual benfits of the fast, I guess that’s one that each person would have to answer for himself.

But you don’t eat lipstick!

My grandchildren do:D

Yum!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.