Dropped chalice

Was a mass for students soon to be confirmed. One of our priests was standing in as a Eucharistic minister (trousers) whilst another priest was celebrating mass. The child’s hands slipped.

“endures as long as the Eucharistic species subsist” (Catechism, no. 1377)

The Church teaches that Christ remains present under the appearances of bread and wine as long as the appearances of bread and wine remain (cf. Catechism, no. 1377).

You have to be careful with children. It’s best to have your hands near the chalice even though they “have” it. That way, if it slips, you can catch it. I always hover one hand below the base and have the other hand near the top poised to catch it.

@Odilon
@PeterT
As I said above, once it can’t be consumed, once the appearance of wine is gone, so is the Real Presence.
http://jimmyakin.com/2005/10/when_the_real_p.html

I’m at peace now, this is what the priest was getting at, thank you. Makes sense now xx

As long as the accident of wine remains the Precious Blood remains. A purificator/s should be used to cleanse the area and these are then cleaned appropriately before being washed. Nothing to do with being able to drink it or not.

It was cleaned, but he very clearly said don’t worry, because you can’t drink it now it’s not the real presence it goes back to being wine

According the Jimmy Akin post, it’s not that once it can’t be consumed, but once the appearance of the wine is gone. That’s why it’s usually the standard procedure soak up the Precious Blood with purificators until a purificator no longer soaks up the Precious Blood. At that point, the appearance of the wine ceases so it’s no longer our Lord’s Precious Blood.

The way I am choosing to look at this is whatever happened the spill was dealt with reverently and the child was comforted and took part in mass . Jesus doesn’t mind. He’s glad we met with Him today at mass

Yes this is what my dioecese does, I’ve seen and partaken in it

Whether or not the Eucharist changes back to just bread or wine in the case of being dropped or abused, has been a debate in the Church for centuries.

The Church has nothing in tradition or Scripture showing that once the bread and wine are changed to the body and blood of Christ, if it ever changes back.

We just don’t panic over it as the nuns did when I was growing up. You’d think Jesus was being tortured in front of our eyes.

It’s my personal belief that God having the power to change it into the body and blood of Christ, can easily reverse it.

But that’s not what the Church teaches and I’m not the Pope, so don’t go by me. :smiley:

Jim

Was it diluted before being sopped up?
Was whatever it was that was used to sop it up subsequently rinsed out in the sacrarium (or otherwise disposed of as holy water would be)?

I would imagine it splashed up when the vessel hit the floor.

Anyone who has made their First Holy Communion may receive the Most Precious Blood. Such an accident could happen to anyone.

The Catholic Answers response cited above is in keeping with what we were taught concerning handling an accidental spill. The proper thing to do is to treat the spill with water immediately (I was taught to use an amount that was at least equal to the amount spilled, so it all is diluted at least 1:1)

Oh I forgot, but when a consecrated host is dropped and not edible, it’s taken to the Sacristy after Mass, where there is a special sink with a cover, lock and a pipe extending down into the ground under the church. The host is placed in there with water, and allowed to dissolve into the ground. They would also place purifiers which sopped up the precious blood in there and allow the water to rinse it to the ground below.

I forget the name of that sink, but have seen it myself.

Jim

It’s called a sacrarium.

I have never heard that the Precious Blood turns back to wine when it hits the floor.
One reason I only receive Communion on my tongue and do not receive from the Chalice is for fear of dropping and spilling.

Don’t they have a sacrarium in the sacristy ?

GIRM:
239. If the eucharistic bread or any particle of it should fall, it is to be picked up reverently. If any of the precious blood spills, the area should be washed and the water poured into the sacrarium.

My parish doesn’t have a sacrarium. The flower pots indoors or the flower beds outdoors is OK instead. It is basically the same as long as the water is not poured where people are waking.

If the sacramental wine is spilled on a hard floor where it is still liquid, then it is still the eucharist. However, I have a hard time believing that wine soaked into clothing still appears to be wine, since wine is a liquid. However, the clothing must still be carefully washed and the water poured into the sacrarium.

We do, but they pour the remnants into plants as the sacristy is good walk up an incline to get to. They don’t want to risk spilling any more. We were taught into a plant is sufficient.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.