Dropped host - what to do?

I was receiving the Blessed Sacrament at Mass today; in our parish, we can receive either in the hand or on the tongue, and I usually receive on the tongue. Today the ECM was putting the host in my mouth, I felt the edge touch my tongue, and then it fell to the floor! I was shocked and had no idea what to do; the ECM quickly retrieved it and put it in my mouth, but I was just stunned.

My question is, what is the proper and respectful course of action when this happens? Do I need to confess to a sacrilege - I feel so terrible, I’ve been questioning myself all day “did I not open wide enough? Did I contribute to this happening?”

In short, what is the proper course of action when a Host is dropped during Mass? And I feel so awful for being disrespectful towards the body of Our Lord; what do I need to do to make amends for this?

Hi,

Relax–it was an accident. The Lord can handle it. Actually, your stomach acids did a lot more to the host. If you had deliberately caused this to happen, then it would be sacrilege. It’s what is in our hearts that matters when we receive Him.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.