Dropping the Oremus

Often I find my self praying the Angelus or the rosary etc., on my own. Take the Angelus’ conclusion for example:

Let us pray: Pour forth, we beseech thee, O Lord, Your grace into our hearts, that we to whom the incarnation of Christ Thy Son was made known by the message of an angel, may by His Passion and Cross be brought to the glory of His resurrection; through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Should the oremus be dropped in solo-recitation?

I always say it because I figure others are praying with me, as I tend to pray it at noon and 6 pm.

(in case anyone is interested, there is a nice article and video here)
fisheaters.com/angelus.html

Replace with orem?:slight_smile:

In the Divine Office the oremus is only to be said if the Pater Noster is not recited aloud prior to the collect.

Which would limit it to the minor hours, Vigils and Compline.

I don’t man dropping the entire prayer by the way, just the “Oremus”.

right, Oremus (Let us pray)

At 6 AM, Noon, and 6 PM, someone somewhere is praying it with us :slight_smile:

Which is actually the reasoning why I have continued the practice up until now. We are a communion of faithful united by Christ after all! But it’s still a little weird saying “let us pray” on my own :p!

Well I shall see you at noon anyway :D!

I meant the invocation “Oremus”, not dropping the prayer!

At Lauds and Vespers, the celebrant goes directly from the Pater Noster to the prayer without saying “oremus”.

At the other hours the Pater Noster is not said, so the invocation “Oremus” is said before the prayer.

It shouldn’t be. We say “Our Father…give us this day…forgive us our…as we forgive…lead us not…deliver us…pray for us sinners…our death” on our own as well.

That just feels natural though. We had it drilled into us every morning for 7 years.

And to think that they could have done it just as easily with the Latin. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.