Drug-Related Killings Skyrocket In Mexico

Mexico is close to anarchy. The Mexican drug cartels are more dangerous to the personal safety and security of US citizens than Islamic terrorists.

npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101166509

Mexico is at war, and the drug violence this month alone has flared all across the country.

More people were killed in Mexico’s drug war in 2008 than all the U.S. service members killed in the entire Iraq war. This year, the death rate has more than doubled, and experts say there’s no end in sight.

In Cancun, a former army general was abducted, tortured and killed less than a day after becoming the region’s top anti-drug officer. And last weekend on the Pacific coast, men hurled grenades at a police station near Acapulco.

Plus, they have oil. Mount up!

John

The drug cartels probably have a lot more money and weapons that does the government–money ultimately supplied by drug users in the U.S.

And Canada.

The problem with the U.S. “war on drugs” is that it has never really been a war. Drug sellers should be imprisoned in Uzbekistan and users should serve a stint at Gitmo. Drug tests at work and by law enforcement should be freely allowed, with or without “probable cause”.

The benefits to the US if Bush would have invaded Mexico rather than Iraq are quite something to consider.

1. Military destruction of the drug cartels would wipe out the financial source for a large portion of organized crime in the US, and decrease access to hard drugs in the US, which would decrease crime.

2. Government seizure of the marijuana market for medicinal and controlled recreational purposes could be a source of several billion dollars in tax revenue. (I hate drugs, have never done them in my life, but pot is less of a health risk than cigaretttes or alcohol. In fact, I read a study recently that found pot smokers decreased their risk of lung cancer, probably because of the green substance in the the plant.)

3. As another poster ironically pointed out, natural resources, including oil. I’d rather drill for oil in a desert than in a national forest.

4. Billions of dollars in savings by wiping out the immigration and border patrol bueracracy for Mexican citizens. Mexican workers would start paying into social security and medicare. The better paid ones would pay into federal taxes.

5. The alleviation of the suffering of the poor. Children are starving, being prostituted, and dying in these cities. We could use the dollars we are spending building infrastructure in Iraq to build hospitals and schools in Mexico.

6. Because the Mexican citizens are Catholics, and not Islamic, they would not resist the US as the Great Satan.

7. Iraq would still be run by Saddam Hussein, and Iraq and Iran would still be providing the Middle East with the equilibrium of mutual hostility. Iran would not be an unchecked power in the Middle East.

Or maybe the drug war is lost. Maybe it would be better to legalize them all and just tax them both at the import and retail level. Even with sales taxes, prices would fall, taking away the (exorbitant) profit motive. However, even if it were legalized, the drug cartels would not willingly give up their position as monopoly suppliers. It would be like the mafia trying to control business operations in a city. But that’s pretty much what it is now. The cartel controls the drug supply and controls the country by violence.

The problem with the US ‘war on drugs’ is that drugs won before it even started. Prohibition of alcohol didn’t work out (and in fact spawned more organized crime than most anything else), what genius thought criminalization of other drugs would?

The only way the ‘war on drugs’ is going to have anything resembling a positive end is through capitulation. Think about it: organized crime gets cut off at the knees since users can get their substances of choice at Walgreen’s, prison overcrowding becomes a thing of the past, drug-related deaths go way down due to better-controlled dosing by the pharmacies, the social attitude towards addiction becomes more understanding and reasonable (promoting actual rehabilitation instead of ridiculous punishments – did you know that people who get caught with a dimebag of crack get a minimum sentence about as long as the average time rapists serve?). Sure, it’ll be easier for people to get a fix, but at the same time having everything aboveboard will make addiction treatment both easier and more accessible.

Besides, you do know you’re talking about sending roughly half of the total population of the US to Guantanamo, right? Not just hippies, burgerflippers, and pizza drivers either: musicians, actors, lawyers, doctors, politicians, educators, you name it, they’ve done it. I have to admit it’d be rather poetic to see a certain junkie by the name of Rush Limbaugh getting waterboarded; but there are some things I would not wish on my worst enemy, let alone hordes of people whose private lives have absolutely no effect on mine.

As for drug tests… hope you like needles and specimen cups, because if you get your wish they’ll become fixtures of your life. 420 blood draws & urine tests everyday.

If we were able (perhaps we are) we could theoretically send troops there to assist the Mexican military/government. We have the ability to stop this, should Mexico ever request our assistance.

I’m not sure if you’re serious or not, so this is sorta a shot in the dark…legalizing hard drugs like heroin or cocaine would be a terrible idea. They are highly addictive and incredibly harmful/deadly substances. They should never be legalized again.

And Mexicans are such loyal Catholics too!

Yes they are incredibly harmful. I don’t know what the answer is, but the very illegality of them has made them greatly profitable for producers, distributers and suppliers. It’s more profitable to grow coca plants than other conventional crops. Supply will always rise to meet the demand, whether legal or not. The war on drugs hasn’t seemed to stop them. Perhaps if they were legal, we could regulate and tax them to death, much as we do with alcohol and tobacco products.

Actually the problem with the “war on drugs” is that it is fundamentally stupid, counterproductive, increases crime, funds crime, undermines the rule of law, leads to the corruption of the police, prosecutors and judges. Folks, PROHIBITION DOESN"T WORK AND IN FACT INCREASES CRIME

Y’all do know that William F. Buckley strenuously worked for the legalization of drugs because of what is said above - and what is clear to anyone who looks at the situation in an unbiased manner!

And Tequila! I’m in when do we go?

Amid growing alarm over drug violence in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, the Mexican government will deploy as many as 5,000 more troops to the border city, officials said Thursday.

The increase would triple the number of troops and federal police officers operating there as part of President Felipe Calderon’s offensive against drug traffickers.

Ciudad Juarez Mayor Jose Reyes Ferriz said the added troops would give the military a higher profile by taking control of police functions, including street patrols. Currently, soldiers tend highway checkpoints, guard crime scenes and take part in special operations, such as house searches.

latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-juarez-troops27-2009feb27,0,2667623.story

Hit men dressed in fake police tactical gear burst into a home in Phoenix, rake it with gunfire and execute a man.

Armed kidnappers snatch victims from cars and even a local shopping mall across the Phoenix valley for ransom, turning the sun-baked city into the “kidnap capital” of the United States.

Violence of this kind is common in Mexico where drug cartel abductions and executions are a daily feature of a raging drug war that claimed 6,000 lives south of the border last year.

But U.S. authorities now fear that violent crime is beginning to bleed over the porous Mexico border and take hold here.

Phoenix has an average of one kidnapping every day related to Mexican crime.
uk.reuters.com/article/burningIssues/idUKTRE5201MX20090301?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Hmmm. Not such a good Idea. Mexico, fault ridden as it may be, is our neighbor. You don’t just attack your neighbor. Unless your saddam that is. As for destroying the drug cartels. I agree, they should have been the target of our war on drugs all along. The criminal element however like the poor, will always be with us.

Now the government acting as the official supplier of recreational drugs. That would be interesting. Talk about a bureaucratic nightmare!

Mexican workers paying into social security? We’d have to be able to find them jobs. Unemployment in my area, is into double digits. California is about the same I hear.

Should we help Mexico? I think so. But of course it is their fight.

Did Saddam have to go? ABSOLUTLEY! Any sort of functioning democracy in that region will have a positive outcome. Wait, you’ll see.:wink:

Our neighbor several years ago, was kidnapped just outside of the airport. He was held for ransom for nearly a day before the kidnappers let him go after robbing him of everything but the clothes on his back.

The natives claim that if you act like a tourist, you are bound to get hit. So if you absolutely insist on going there…know that you are seriously at risk according to the State Dept.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.