Drugs addiction Hell?

Hi all,

why do drug or alcohol addicts usually go to Hell? Do drug addicts still have free will when they are using? I think they would have some form of free will, but a lot has gone away. In other words, how accountable are drug addicts for keep using drugs and committing sin? Thanks!

Gr. Don

we don’t know who goes to hell and who doesn’t. Where did you get this from?

Well the Bible says drunkards will not enter the Kingdom. And using drugs is a deadly sin I suppose…

Well I’m damned then, I’m an alcoholic but I’ve not had a drink in 13 years

God bless your soul!

Nah…you’ll be alright. The bible I think talks in present tense…that’s the great thing about being catholic, nobody expects us NOT to mess up. :blush: But, Jesus is very forgiving when you rectify (or even just wish to rectify…He’ll help you out), so not to worry…you are good.

And congratulations!

To the OP, who knows what the Lord will do with all of us in the end. Like a priest told me once…sometimes we are stricter with ourselves than the Lord is. Remember, Jesus is love, and we all know what love can do…yes, it does the impossible. :wink:

we must read the Bible through three lenses.

which passage are you referring to…

after all poor old Noah got drunk and then all that happened with his sons, but I am sure Noah is in heaven

"9 Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God?
Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes,
sodomites, 10thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers—none of
these will inherit the kingdom of God. "

where is it from?

Corinthians 6 - Bible.

Luke 18:9-14

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

I think if you repent and are sorry god will forgive u

It seems to me that the missing ingredient here is repentance. All of us are sinners. But we have to stop loving our sin.

Where did you get the idea that drug and alcohol addicts “usually go to Hell”?

That depends on many factors.

That would be unique to the individual.

The Catholic Faith and principles of morality are not formed by select, out of context bible quotes.

72,000 US citizens - died last year - of drug overdose -

Some stats say - 100 people a day die.

that’s not to mention alcohol - and alcohol related deaths ( driving car ).

They say most prisons are filled with drug addicts - who committed endless related crimes.
And they naturally have a split / double personality disorder - from it.
Not all of them - etc -
Some find Jesus - while doing time.

I mean when you die as a drunkard or drug addict…

This is not specific enough.

There are people who would call themselves alcoholics or drug addicts who have not touched their drug of choice for years.

There are also people who may fall into use who are still actively trying to stop but have not been completely successful yet. There are a lot of reasons for this. The mere fact of use is not enough to say that they are culpable (let alone culpable for grave matter). Addiction is not the same as a bad habit, though they have some things in common. It’s also not very well understood yet.

From the outside, we can’t know a person’s state of grace when they die. We pray for them out of hope.

Those who die in a state of mortal sin - the things you mention are all grave matter and if they meet the other two conditions may be mortally sinful - are dying outside of friendship with God.

God forgives sins, not only the sins you mentioned above but even worse sins! We rejoice in God’s mercy!!

One late Saturday night a phone call woke up my husband and he got called in to work on some problem that came up. On his way there, it was around 2 am and there had been an accident outside the bar and strip joint. There was a car on the sidewalk facing the wrong way, and a guy on the sidewalk who looked as though he may have gotten hit. One might think that someone left the bar walking and another guy left the bar with too many drinks under his belt. My husband heard the ambulance coming so he continued on his way. My husband does the Divine Mercy Chaplet often and has sat at the bedside of a dieing person and done the chaplet for them. We saw on the news later that the fella had died of his injuries but his family will never know that in his last hour on earth he had a man praying the Divine Mercy chaplet for him, and it was the wee hours of Divine Mercy Sunday. The fingerprint of God was all over this situation. I would bet my bottom dollar that guy had a mother, aunt, grandmother, who prayed the rosary for him every day.

The mercy of God has been poured out on the world through the infinite merits of Jesus Christ. I know many people who pray for the souls who are in their last days and last hours on earth and are not ready to meet their maker. God will reveal on judgement day what incredible feats were done because of the intercession of his people of prayer on earth. Be one of those people.

Ok, here’s my interpretation. Some don’t pray to/through Saint Maximilian Kolbe for them. And, the sins that gather in SOME cases to support habits such as theft and other grouseome deeds accumulate at a rapid rate without visits to the confessional. We need to guide them to this series of truths.

12 step programs are based on a higher power, using or sober, they need God. From a Protestant point of view look at the Texas Rangers’ Josh Hamilton. It CAN be done but it takes a LOT of work.

If hell is eternal separation from God don’t willingly, do the math. I suck at life but for heavens sake I try super hard.

Try

We don’t know that drugs addicts usually go to hell.

Drug addicts aren’t necessarily better or worse people than anybody else. Most “good” people in the world have been given a wide variety of benefits in terms of family, peers, finances, education, etc., in order to make them into decent, self-reliant people by worldly standards.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.