Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/duck-dynastys-phil-robertson-indefinite-666808

A&E has placed Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson on indefinite hiatus following anti-gay remarks he made in a recent profile in GQ.
OUR EDITOR RECOMMENDS

GLAAD Slams ‘Duck Dynasty’ Star Phil Robertson for ‘Vile’ Comments About Homosexuality

‘Duck Dynasty’ Stars Don’t Mind Knockoffs and Imitators: We Need ‘Clean Television’

Rule Breakers 2013: ‘Duck Dynasty,’ Bowie and ‘Breaking Bad’
“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty,” A&E said in a statement. “His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.”

I’ve never watched the show, but I’ve heard it’s popular. :shrug:

What a bunch of amoral cowards at A & E. I’m sure the networks would do the same thing for people who my Christianity on a regular basis? Right?

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

A&E is getting hammered on their facebook page over this decision. Even people that don’t agree with Phil are complaining. Bad move, A&E, bad move.

While his comments may have not been very sensitive (it’s one thing to say “I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman”, but he didn’t really need to say all those things about anatomy and logic), ultimately I think the decision to suspend him over expressing his religiously informed opinion in an interview is atrocious. Don’t get me wrong, they have the right to do this (just like he has the right to say it), but I suspect there will be considerable backlash from the Christian community over this, and given that Duck Dynasty is one of their most popular shows…well this was probably not a great business decision.

The whole Duck Dynasty cast should refuse to do the show until Phil is allowed back. If A&E still refuses, I’m quite sure there will be many other networks more than willing to pick them up.

[quote=Dawnia] A&E is getting hammered on their facebook page over this decision. Even people that don’t agree with Phil are complaining. Bad move, A&E, bad move.
[/quote]

I would like to see what specifically they didn’t approve of? The whole notion of not approving of the lifestyle, or specific parts of what he said?

I suspect it is the former, but if we get an explanation, it will be the latter.

Not exactly a loss to American cultural life.

Well, then they would be in breach of contract. Which would mean a big lawsuit. Duck Dynasty is most likely the property of A&E. They wouldn’t be able to just go to another network without consequences.

A&E wasn’t happy that he isn’t on board with supporting gays. The faux “outrage” over Phil’s statement was spearheaded by GLAAD.

GLAAD seems to be the only ones where were upset that Phil wasn’t all “go gays”.

Depends on the contract. The only ones who know are the lawyers for each side.

I think it was him comparing it to bestiality that angered the channel.

^ this. Everything else he said was fine, but this was unnecessary.

[quote=SMGS127] Quote:

Originally Posted by VanSensei

I think it was him comparing it to bestiality that angered the channel.

^ this. Everything else he said was fine, but this was unnecessary.
[/quote]

Then I am sure A&E will clarify it. All they have to say is " while we support his Christian beliefs and opposition to homosexuality, we do not approve of the comparisons to beastiality."

Since they are most definitely oppose his beliefs in their entirety and his discussion of Christianity, they won’t do that either.

The comparison to bestiality he made was entirely appropriate.

Except for the fact that he didn’t compare it to bestiality…

What’s interesting is that I found the article online and this is what else Phil had to say:

"We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ’em, give ’em the good news about Jesus—whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ’em out later, you see what I’m saying?”

Read More: gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson?currentPage=2

If all the shows that did not contribute to “cultural life” disappeared tomorrow, you would be watching test patterns on every network. :o Rob

Phil articulated, a bit cruddely, what countless millions of straight men think about man on man sexual activity. What the GLAAD extremists demand is silence from anyone who opposes their views and agenda, and they will go to any length to enforce this.
Hopefully, someone like Glenn Beck will pick up this show. :sad_yes: Rob

People should once and for all reject political correctness as the fascist ideology that it is. It’s only job is to shut people up (mostly Christians) and we’ll end up with ‘hate speech’ laws like other countries have.

GLAAD said it was hateful that Phil revealed the fact on the anatomical coupling of homosexuals. Homosexuals, evidently, are sensitive people who do not like their private unnatural acts to be discussed. Trust me, if a priest got up in the pulpit and said the same or similar thing he would be in trouble too. We’re supposed to celebrate unnatural acts, not expose them as such. What a country. My bet is A&E will figure out a way around this and Phil will tell them to go fly a kite up a dark alley.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.