Duck Stamp number brings callers to phone sex

Kind of a stupid story but you have to wonder who checks these things?

outdoorsweekly.com/news_archive/08_0912_news.html#news1

About 3.5 million federal duck stamps, featuring artwork by Joe Hautman, are affixed to backing paper that bears the misprinted number, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said last week

Rachel Levin, a Fish and Wildlife spokeswoman, called the misprint, which connects callers to a phone-sex service, “an unfortunate typographical error” that her agency “really regrets.” She adds that the agency will keep selling the $15 stamps with the naughty number because reprinting the stamps would cost too much.
The correct number, which connects to the U.S. Postal Service’s stamp fulfillment center is 1-800-STAMP24 (1-800-782-6724). This number is for people wishing to order additional duck stamps. Levin said two digits of the phone number are transposed on the self-adhesive version of the stamp. That incorrect number, 1-800-872-6724, translates to 1-800-TRAMP24. Callers to “Intimate Connections” are warned that they must be 18 years or older before proceeding.
Levin doubted that the digits were purposely transposed. “As far as we know,” she said, “it was just an error.” Levin said reprinting the self adhesive stamps would cost about $300,000, and “that’s a lot of money we could be putting into” conservation. “The stamp is perfectly usable,” she said. “It will just be a lot more interesting for people now.”

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=265929

yeah i saw it awhile back when i got mine for early teal season. typos happen, and odds are that is what happened here. my sophmore year in undergrad my parking pass had the maroon bluebonet and its scientific name on it, except a typo made it vulgar.

people already collect duck stamps, in a few decades this may be one of those rare ones(since later printings were corrected) that is worth something.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.