"Due to extreme load..."

Getting a message that “Due to extreme load, this is temporarily being shown to everyone as a logged out user would see it.”

According to Discourse Meta, “This means that page (usually a topic) was getting clobbered by a lot of users, so it switched into high performance anonymous mode for a bit to reduce load.”

What page/ topic is getting “clobbered” by so many users as to cause this? I also noted I’m getting the message at the top of the forum regardless of what topic I read, so I cannot match the message to a topic.

It doesn’t seem like we have some big showstopper like a Papal visit or election going on today that would draw thousands of hits…

I’m not getting such a message.

A couple of days ago my device kept seizing up though, I had to disconnect wait and then reconnect repeatedly, about five times one day. I couldn’t even turn my device off!

(Denial of service?)

It’s gone now. I wonder if there was a DNS attack as the CNN News page was also down for several minutes, as in completely blank, and is now up again

That’s what I wondered. I’m in the UK though, may make a difference.

I can’t remember who it was, but someone else was asking that question about a week or two ago.
They didn’t really get an answer as I recall.

I wouldn’t doubt that CAF is periodically attacked. We certainly have enough trolls popping up everywhere. It’s very disconcerting.

I’m hopeful that these continuing issues will be publicly addressed and rectified.

I can guarantee it is attacked. Hackers attack every website in the planet. They have bots designed to constantly probe weaknesses.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.