Durbin Must Go

`Nazi’ comment disgraceful
By Boston Herald editorial staff
Friday, June 17, 2005
news.bostonherald.com/opinion/view.bg?articleid=89685
The second highest ranking Democrat in the Senate has compared American servicemen and women to Nazis on the floor of that body. Has political debate sunk so low that a comment that hideous can be made by Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) without repercussions?

Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.) lost his leadership position for the lesser if still odious offense of praising Strom Thurmond's presidential campaign which had taken place decades earlier. 

``If I read this ... and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime - Pol Pot or others,'' Durbin said of Guantanamo ``abuses'' like ratcheting up the air conditioning in detainees' cells. 

When Amnesty International makes such comparisons it irreversibly damages its credibility. When a U.S. senator does so, he damages the institution and the country he serves. 

Durbin must go.

This man is as Hugh Hewitt stated, a total moron. Apparently he continues to defend his statements, weasling and waffling all over the place. The final irony was that he said that we must never do anything to besmirch our reputation abroad… huh???

Lisa N

He has commited treason (imo), he must resign.

The Anti-Defamation League blasted Illinois Democrat Dick Durbin on Thursday, demanding that he apologize for comparing U.S. troops at Guantanamo Bay to “Nazis.”

“Whatever your views on the treatment of detainees and alleged excesses at the Guantanamo Bay facility, it is inappropriate and insensitive to suggest that actions by American troops in any way resemble actions taken by Nazis in their treatment of prisoners,” ADL chief Abraham Foxman wrote in a letter addressed to Durbin.

newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/6/17/104848.shtml

[quote=TPJCatholic]He has commited treason (imo), he must resign.
[/quote]

:amen:

indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050617/OPINION02/306170001/1093

indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050617/OPINION02/306170001/1093

[quote=swampfox]indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050617/OPINION02/306170001/1093
[/quote]

Good one! Sadly it’s likely true. I heard a caller on Hewitt’s show who is an American of Iraqi descent who said he has relatives in Iraq calling and emailing him about the “torture” reported at Gitmo. This is not doing us any good.
Lisa N

Durbin only said what the major donors to the Democratic party wanted him to say.

From Al Jazeera:

US Senator Stands by Nazi Remark

Wonder what the Arabic version of Al Jazeera is saying.

[quote=David_Paul]Durbin only said what the major donors to the Democratic party wanted him to say.
[/quote]

Just another political whore.

If Durbin should resign, Bush should be impeached. Has anyone ever heard of the Downing Street Memo in the USA? (I don’t hear about it on the US media, but I did on the BBC). He lied to bring a country into an unjust war, he should be impeached, plain and simple.

Causing thousands of lives to be lost in a war is far different than calling someone or something a Nazi.

[quote=SeanMc]If Durbin should resign, Bush should be impeached. Has anyone ever heard of the Downing Street Memo in the USA? (I don’t hear about it on the US media, but I did on the BBC). He lied to bring a country into an unjust war, he should be impeached, plain and simple.

Causing thousands of lives to be lost in a war is far different than calling someone or something a Nazi.
[/quote]

see separate thread on the memo

[quote=SeanMc]He lied to bring a country into an unjust war, he should be impeached, plain and simple…
[/quote]

Nonsense.

[quote=SeanMc]but I did on the BBC).
[/quote]

That is your first clue to read further… :rolleyes:

[quote=SeanMc]If Durbin should resign, Bush should be impeached. Has anyone ever heard of the Downing Street Memo in the USA? (I don’t hear about it on the US media, but I did on the BBC).
[/quote]

George Soros (Project Death in America), John Conyers, the rest of the so-called “progressive caucus”, the MSM and their marxist mindless drones on forum after forum write and speak of little else.

George Soros (Project Death in America), John Conyers, the rest of the so-called “progressive caucus”, the MSM and their marxist mindless drones on forum after forum write and speak of little else.

I don’t even know who those people are. I don’t listen to commentators, I use my mind.

What I see among Americans is an idiotic, polarized political situation wherein people attack the other side without even thinking the issues through.

[quote=SeanMc]I don’t even know who those people are. I don’t listen to commentators, I use my mind.

What I see among Americans is an idiotic, polarized political situation wherein people attack the other side without even thinking the issues through.
[/quote]

Goody for you. Must be difficult however. Seeing as how everyone else is stupid and doesn’t think.

[quote=SeanMc]What I see among Americans is an idiotic, polarized political situation wherein people attack the other side without even thinking the issues through.
[/quote]

Discussions about whether or not Saddam should be removed from power started in the mid 90s, before Bush even took office. In fact, among the prominent politicians to say Saddam needed to go were then President Clinton, then Vice President Al Gore, then First Lady and future Senator Hillary Clinton, future presidential candidate Senator John Kerry, and then Democratic Leader Tom Daschle.

There was almost a decade of thought and discussion, before Bush even took office, including many who voted “yes” and now say Bush lied (even though he wasn’t even president when most of them said the same thing Bush has been saying).

:nope:

[quote=TPJCatholic]He has commited treason (imo), he must resign.
[/quote]

and the punishment for high treason in old English law is…:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.