During lent you are invited to a party on friday

If during lent you are invited to a party, let's say a barbeque, a friday, can you go, and later make penance in a different way?

well, you can't eat meat on that day unless you get a dispensation......but you could go to the party if you felt an obligation to....but you need to do some form of penance for that day. Going to a party could in itself give you lots of opportunities for self denial.

We are a witness to our faith when we make these six Lenten Fridays plus Good Friday/Saturday days of abstinence. It is a group effort! It is in keeping with the penitential season to eat less also, not just avoiding meat.

Fridays in Lent and Good Friday are obligatory days of complete abstinence from meat (in the Latin Catholic Church, for all who have completed their 14th year).

Yes, you can go to the party. You cannot, however, eat meat.

You can do extra penances. You cannot ignore the obligation to abstain from meat.

If you REALLY want to attend the party you could inform your hosts that you cannot eat meat. They could provide an acceptable alternative. You could bring a dish that would allow you to fulfill the abstinence requirement. Or you could eat at home. :smiley:

This sounds like something that’s happening at my home parish, which happens to be the Cathedral. March 15th they’re having a St. Pat’s Day BBQ Shindig with all the festivities. I saw no mention of a dispensation from the bishop.

Go to the BBQ. Pretend you're a vegetarian for the day.

The best reason to abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent is to enable us to make a small sacrifice for the incredible sacrifice that Jesus made for our salvation. I see it not only as a small penance but it is also a personal expression of gratitude that leads to other forms of gratitude (i.e. giving a few extra dollars to the poor, helping someone that is sick or struggling with their faith, etc.) Hope this helps! :)

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:6, topic:314606"]
This sounds like something that's happening at my home parish, which happens to be the Cathedral. March 15th they're having a St. Pat's Day BBQ Shindig with all the festivities. I saw no mention of a dispensation from the bishop.

[/quote]

:tsktsk: Things like this really upset me. The Season of Lent takes precedence unless the Bishop grants a dispensation. My parish is having a corned beef and cabbage dinner on that Sunday, which is appropriate. A few years ago Saint Patrick's Day fell on a Friday and my Bishop did grant a dispensation. I also get frustrated with all-you-can-eat Lenten fish fries, because if it's all-you-can-eat it isn't all that penitential now is it? Besides that, we have a national obesity epidemic that just keeps getting worse and has actually become a threat to national security! The LAST thing we need is more all-you-can-eat buffets. What's needed is the virtue of temperence. :crossrc:

[quote="Jennifoo, post:9, topic:314606"]
:tsktsk: Things like this really upset me. The Season of Lent takes precedence unless the Bishop grants a dispensation. My parish is having a corned beef and cabbage dinner on that Sunday, which is appropriate. A few years ago Saint Patrick's Day fell on a Friday and my Bishop did grant a dispensation. I also get frustrated with all-you-can-eat Lenten fish fries, because if it's all-you-can-eat it isn't all that penitential now is it? Besides that, we have a national obesity epidemic that just keeps getting worse and has actually become a threat to national security! The LAST thing we need is more all-you-can-eat buffets. What's needed is the virtue of temperence. :crossrc:

[/quote]

I think I will write a letter.

If there aren't going to be a lot of sides and such to eat (non-meat items). You can always bring a box of Boca burgers (veggie burgers) so you can put something on a bun and not inconvenience your hosts.

Tomorrow I our office is having a meeting where we all come in the main office. They always have brownies, cakes, etc. It's going to be rough. Not only is tomorrow a day to fast... but I have a weakness for sweets AND I am giving up sweets and other junk food for Lent (with the exception of my birthday--just in case someone gets me a cake. So I feel for the OP.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:10, topic:314606"]
I think I will write a letter.

[/quote]

Go for it. Sometimes it's important to point out things that are just plain wrong. I find it sad that so many of my fellow Catholics don't really know or live their faith. I'm not saying this to be harsh- I'm being honest about what I've heard and seen. One thing I've noticed that's as common as gluttony is rash judgement and gossip. It's rampant.:sad_yes:

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.