During Mass Are Statues of Saints Distracting You?

So I recently had a post on what reasons a diocese might prohibit or discourage a parish from not having statues of saints more specifically Ss Mary and Joseph in the traditional positions on either side of the sanctuary. I received a reply from someone working for the diocese with involvement and authority. She did not say that there is any rule that mandates where the statues should be, but she said that it’d be better if they are not “front and center.” I don’t agree with her. This is her opinion.

I can understand why it might not be a good idea to have several statues of the same saints, but I don’t see how having a statue of the saints mentioned above in a traditional set up would cause a distraction in celebrating the Eucharist. I would like to know what your thoughts.

Do statues of Mary and Joseph distract you from the Mass if they were in sight?

No way! They are wonderful!

[quote="Thumblessprimat, post:1, topic:293986"]
So I recently had a post on what reasons a diocese might prohibit or discourage a parish from not having statues of saints more specifically Ss Mary and Joseph in the traditional positions on either side of the sanctuary. I received a reply from someone working for the diocese with involvement and authority. She did not say that there is any rule that mandates where the statues should be, but she said that it'd be better if they are not "front and center." I don't agree with her. This is her opinion.

I can understand why it might not be a good idea to have several statues of the same saints, but I don't see how having a statue of the saints mentioned above in a traditional set up would cause a distraction in celebrating the Eucharist. I would like to know what your thoughts.

[/quote]

We do have statues of the Blessed Mother and St. Joseph behind the altar on either side of the tabernacle, but not in close proximity. They are not distracting to me because my focus in on the altar.

Oh certainly not! They add to the Mass, they do not subtract. I love statues, and we should have more in our modern statues.

Of course not! What better than statues of Our Blessed Lady and Saint Joseph, or of any of God's holy Saints and Martyrs?

No, statues are not distracting.

People in attendance fidgeting / making lots of noise etc is distracting.

[quote="superamazingman, post:2, topic:293986"]
No way! They are wonderful!

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

The statues of Mary and Joseph are high up on the walls at the front of the church. So far, they have not sprung into life, leaped from the walls and broken out in liturgical dance. So, not distracting. :)

No; certainly not a distraction.

There are no statues in the parishes I attend which is what it should be ;)

No. I find it highly improbable that an unmoving statue would be a distraction.

No.

The lack of statues I often find distracting.

Modernism at its best. :(

When you walk into a Catholic Church you should know it is Catholic.

Sacred art enhances and teaches. It is a gift to be treasured.

[quote="buffalo, post:14, topic:293986"]
Modernism at its best. :(

When you walk into a Catholic Church you should know it is Catholic.

Sacred art enhances and teaches. It is a gift to be treasured.

[/quote]

:thumbsup: Absolutely!

http://bp2.blogger.com/_ICCoEC9hSwc/RfQbjxz9ewI/AAAAAAAABA8/chJwdCv3nlQ/s400/Saint+Anthony+of+Padua+Church,+in+Saint+Louis,+Missouri+-+altar+and+baldachino.jpg

During Mass Are Statues of Saints Distracting You?

Only when they are ugly.

[quote="Thumblessprimat, post:1, topic:293986"]
So I recently had a post on what reasons a diocese might prohibit or discourage a parish from not having statues of saints more specifically Ss Mary and Joseph in the traditional positions on either side of the sanctuary. I received a reply from someone working for the diocese with involvement and authority. She did not say that there is any rule that mandates where the statues should be, but she said that it'd be better if they are not "front and center." I don't agree with her. This is her opinion.

I can understand why it might not be a good idea to have several statues of the same saints, but I don't see how having a statue of the saints mentioned above in a traditional set up would cause a distraction in celebrating the Eucharist. I would like to know what your thoughts.

[/quote]

no they dont bother.me .... they inspire me !

[quote="duneman, post:17, topic:293986"]
no they dont bother.me .... they inspire me !

[/quote]

AMEN!!! St Joseph is my patron saint. and seeing his foster son beside him, THE SON OF THE ALMIGHTY LIVING GOD...are u kidding? Distract? more like inspire!!!

St Joseph, foster father of our Lord Jesus Christ and most chaste spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary, PRAY FOR US!:thumbsup:

Beautiful statues of Mary and St. Joseph don't distract me at all. If anything, they help to
get me into a more spiritual mood, and they add to the beauty of a Catholic mass. My parish has 2 gorgeous full-sized statues of angels in white and blue on either side of the alter. My parish is St. Madeline, and there are two large paintings of Mary Magdalene showing important events in her life on either side of the immense cross of Jesus which hangs directly on the wall behind the tabernacle table.

I've been in some Protestant churches which don't have statues or even stained glass windows, and I think they're simply very boring and don't have any way to get you into a spiritual mood. I think religious art is the same as religious music, it just elevates your mind spiritually and, at least in my case, aids me in saying prayers and celebrating the mass.

Not at all!

I love having the statues there. I find them helpful and comforting, actually.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.