During the Reformation, did the Protestants "

During the Reformation, did the Protestants “re-evaluate” all the deutero-canonical and apocryphal Christian writings such as the Gospel of St. James, the Acts of St. Paul, the Apocalypse of St. Peter, the Gospel of St. Mary Magdalene, the Gospel of St. Thomas and the myriad of other writings from the first and second centuries of the Christianity? No. The Protestants accepted the New Testament as defined by the Catholic Church in the late 4th century. Why accept the Canon as defined and preserved by the Catholic Church yet not accept the other teachings of this same Church?

Discussed ad nauseam before.

Don’t bite, folks.

catscans.com/catholicsite/bible.htm

Oh come on Luke, there has gotta be some fresh-to-CAF-meat willing to take Catholics to the woodshed!!

Amen. Same stuff, different day.

**i disagree, it is important for those who “protest” to prove their point.
You don’t have to rehash old arguments, just reference the thread.

We all want to learn all sides of an argument so we can fully understand the Truth as Jesus Christ taught us!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Por Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

where is the bait I DO NOT SEE ANY BAIT

www-cathloic-defense.com

Mark I m sorry here it is catscans.com/catholicsite/bible.htm

And the small print:

©1997-2006 Chris Tesch. This Web site first loaded on July 10, 1997.
Domain name - www.catholic-defense.com secured April 5, 1999.
Written permission is needed to copy any portion of this web site. All rights reserved.

Good point, Mark77.

Originally posted by Bill Pick:
During the Reformation, did the Protestants “re-evaluate” all the deutero-canonical and apocryphal Christian writings such as the Gospel of St. James, the Acts of St. Paul, the Apocalypse of St. Peter, the Gospel of St. Mary Magdalene, the Gospel of St. Thomas and the myriad of other writings from the first and second centuries of the Christianity? No. The Protestants accepted the New Testament as defined by the Catholic Church in the late 4th century.

I am certain that theologians down through the history of the Church, including Reformation contemporaries such as Luther and Cajetan, discussed and evaluated many books, including the d-c’s and apocrypha. It is what theologians do. No big deal.

Why accept the Canon as defined and preserved by the Catholic Church yet not accept the other teachings of this same Church?

Why not accept the NT canon that the Catholic (and Orthodox) Church thankfully preserved down through the ages? The short answer is we believe that some of the things the CC teaches does not square with said NT canon. So, we agree with many things the CC teaches, and disagree with others, on that basis alone.
When we agree, give thanks to God. When we disagree, pray the Holy Spirit guides our communions to unity.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.