Dutch Protestants Protest EU Symbol

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7949140.stm

Apparently, there is a “bible belt” in the Netherlands and our Protestant brothers and sisters are not pleased with the alleged Marian symbol on their license plates - that of the European Union.

Interesting because I didn’t know there was a bible belt in the Netherlands, or any Christians left in continental Europe for that matter ;). More interesting is the alleged connection between Our Lady and the stringently secular EU.

It’s unfortunate, sad really, that such outrage stems from Our Lady in such a strange way.

(SEE ALSO THE GOOD WORKS OF THE PATRIARCH OF ALL GEORGIA BELOW!!!)

Here is an example of a Netherlands car plate:

Hmm… so they look at that and the first thing that springs to their mind is the Virgin Mary?

God certainly works in mysterious ways.

Well there is the color blue, clearly Marian, and the twelve or so stars that adorn the woman’s head in Revelation.

It is a little surprising that the first thing that the Bible-belters think of is Mary, for their argument usually is that the woman in Revelation is not Mary, but Israel.

Still, it is kind of sweet that the stars in the blue remind them of Mary.

Well, at least that is one thing good about the EU :smiley:

The argument is not new to me - the Revered Ian Paisley has been trotting this line of thought out for many years in the north of Ireland. There are parts of the north of my country which comprise a mini Bible belt too where there are hard-core Presybterians who still hold to the idea the Rome is the scarlet woman of revelations. I take the extract below from the European Institute of Protestant Studies :-

At this stage in the Community’s development Churchill’s vision of a free Europe of sovereign States was in a sense hijacked by the Vatican. The public was not told everything, but startling facts emerge from the great mass of papal encyclicals and pronouncements of those years. I shall mention some of them later. The religious aspect of the European idea had at that time not yet emerged to the public view (nor is it yet overtly apparent). It was still to be concealed in the background while the emphasis remained on achieving political unity in economic disguise. Indeed, the Vatican’s post-War diplomatic peace efforts were not particularly apparent to many: the eyes of the general public were too closely focused on space exploration, the rearmament contest, Berlin and the Viet Nam War to recognise the true significance of the Vatican’s crusade.

1962 was the year of the Common Agricultural Policy resulting in a single European market with price fixing – a further step towards uniformity. In that year the Northwest Technocrat recognised the EEC as already much more than simply an economically united Europe and commented:

Fascism in Europe is about to be reborn in respectable business attire, and the Treaty of Rome will finally be implemented to its fullest extent. The dream of a Holy Roman Empire returning to power to dominate and direct the so-called forces of Christian mankind of the Western world is not dead, but still stalks through the antechambers of every national capital of continental Western Europe, in the determination of the leaders in the Common Market to restore the Holy Roman Empire with all that that means!

Pope John XXIII envisaged a European religio-political monster which he called “the Greatest [Roman] Catholic superstate the world has ever known”. Subsequent Vatican pronouncements and developments in the Community vindicate that view. Pope John XXIII envisaged a European religio-political monster which he called “the Greatest [Roman] Catholic superstate the world has ever known”. (The Papal Nuncio in Brussels was later to describe the EU as “a [Roman] Catholic confederation of States”.) United within the ancient boundaries of the Holy Roman Empire by the common spiritual bond of religion, in a burgeoning and booming industrial economy, situated geographically in the world’s most productive industrial complex, it would march onto the scene of world history – so said John XXIII – as “the greatest single human force ever seen by man”.

Also I would like once again to point out to Americans that religous matters in Europe are not so simple as assuming Christianity has no force and also that the very term ‘Europe’ is problematic as the various nation states in Europe all have varying religous experiences.

Quite an amusing essay. If indeed the EU had Catholic principles and was a reborn Holy Roman Empire, then indeed I would support it, but it is far from it, being dominated by Masons who use it as a secular club against Catholicism.

Interesting article on the Catholic origins of the EU: zenit.org/article-23687?l=english

The flag/symbol was only adopted by the EU in 1985, but had previously been the symbol of the (unrelated) Council of Europe.

The notion of the symbol’s Marian origin is explored/exploded here: crwflags.com/fotw/flags/eu!myt.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.