Duty Honor Courage

Howdy,

I'm reaching out to Catholic men of a particular category in that I tend to keep a high regard for the traditions of our religion. I'm a Cavalry Scout in the Army with 18 months of service left. When it is complete, I intend to mission to the Persecuted Church in the Horn of Africa.

I'm also a part-time chef. I work with my hands.

I have felt called for longer than five years to do this mission, to make of my life a missionary oblation to Saint Joseph, who was called to be foster father to the Persecuted Christ. He earned his living as a carpenter. He was devoted to the Immaculate Conception.

I have found that in order to serve Catholics that are persecuted by the Mohammedans, it is necessary to be authentic. It does no good to live like a Mohammedan if you're going to be a convincing Catholic,

Galatians 2: “You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you ask Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?"

What is there to do in the Horn of Africa? Eritrea, Somalia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Lybia, Sudan, South Sudan, DRC, Chad... Catholics are large in number in these countries, they are also heavily persecuted. Catholic missionaries have been kicked out of many of these places, their homes burned, fathers killed, mothers and sisters are raped, and children are forced either into slavery or kidnapped to be made into child-soldiers.

I want to build refuges, churches, homes, schools, playgrounds, and dig wells for all of the refugees moving from these places in other countries like Chad and Uganda. And I want them to have three meals a day: The Eucharist, The Scripture, and food to eat.

Skills needed: hardworking, selflessness, soldiers, firefighters, policeman, dutibound men, carpenters, brick layers, engineers, roofers, plumbers, electricians, farmers, cowboys, etc. Men who know their religion, honor their heritage, and feels compelled to give all, to be a friend to all, a father to many, and bring honor and dignity to those who by all accounts appear to have lost all.

"Man hath no greater love than this, that he give his life for a friend" - Jesus

http://www.lebhshomea.org/photos/CalvaryOfChrist.jpg

What exactly are you getting at?

Hard work.

[quote="DasErlibnis, post:4, topic:267010"]
Hard work.

[/quote]

No, you told a story, now what is your question?

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:5, topic:267010"]
No, you told a story, now what is your question?

[/quote]

I may be wrong, but I think he is calling for other men to join him on his "mission".

OP - perhaps the Holy Spirit is calling you to a religious life in a missionary order?

Scout... (hey, I was too!, shoot me a PM),

Sounds like you are wanting to embark on some FID outside of the grand umbrella of the Church. You got contacts at a mission there? Know some of what is expected, legally, of Christians in those areas- and the consequence for breaking those laws? Who to help? How to help them?

Any favorite Catholic writers who have been there? Any journalists who write for a Christian publication, or do documentary work, in that area? Ever read Philip Caputo's work " Means of Escape"?

I cannot see the RCC not having official means in those areas. Perhaps it would be best to flesh that out and do some training with a certifying missionary entity. Not that off-the-cuff going forth is ever a bad thing, but it might not be the most effective thing.

Ever considered doing some PMC work against the pirates in the area? You'd make a good bit of money quickly (would be great for going toward infrastructure/med care/food/etc), would get some great contacts, and would certainly be in a position to shake the right hands doing so.

Scouts out!,
Jon

[quote="TheDoctor, post:6, topic:267010"]
I may be wrong, but I think he is calling for other men to join him on his "mission".

OP - perhaps the Holy Spirit is calling you to a religious life in a missionary order?

[/quote]

Thanks Doc. I thought it was pretty obvious as well. I didn't realize that people were waiting around waiting for their voice to be heard. I don't why it should be expected that I would have questions at all, but I suppose if I had to pose it as a question, then it would sound something like:

Who wants to do something? I'm going to Africa. There are others coming for this already (5 so far), the more the merrier!

Speaking of religious orders, I am discerning with the Fransallians.

[quote="jonbhorton, post:7, topic:267010"]
Scout... (hey, I was too!, shoot me a PM),

Sounds like you are wanting to embark on some FID outside of the grand umbrella of the Church. You got contacts at a mission there? Know some of what is expected, legally, of Christians in those areas- and the consequence for breaking those laws? Who to help? How to help them?

Any favorite Catholic writers who have been there? Any journalists who write for a Christian publication, or do documentary work, in that area? Ever read Philip Caputo's work " Means of Escape"?

I cannot see the RCC not having official means in those areas. Perhaps it would be best to flesh that out and do some training with a certifying missionary entity. Not that off-the-cuff going forth is ever a bad thing, but it might not be the most effective thing.

Ever considered doing some PMC work against the pirates in the area? You'd make a good bit of money quickly (would be great for going toward infrastructure/med care/food/etc), would get some great contacts, and would certainly be in a position to shake the right hands doing so.

Scouts out!,
Jon

[/quote]

Hey brother,

Glad to hear from ya. I'll send email, and try to address the specific questions for the benefit of anyone else who may be interested.

The Fransallians have Ops going on over there called F.O.S.T.E.R. they're set up. My vocations director says i'll be able to carry out this mission with their support. Obviously, you don't go alone. So others have been recruited already. The first mission is boots on the ground Intel, so to go there for six months and see how they're set up and how we can support their mission is what this is about. Recon, Route Recon, etc.

The rest is to answer as many questions as u have pointed out. That's the job. Unlike normal Scout ops, we're not limited to observations, we'll be learning with our hands. The mission is spiritual.

There will be no "going off the cuff" although we will, in fact, be far from "the Rez".

And, ps. There's no money in it. You're treasure is in heaven. But I'm working on a local project that will fund the mission.

The best Catholic author for this is St. john of the Cross, and the life of St. Vincent Ferrer.

I don't really want to do any work "against the pirates", we saw what happened the last time someone declared themselves knights and began doing combat duties, like fighting the infidels and protecting travelers for the sake of the Church, I think they were excommunicated and eventually evolved into the Masons.

;)

[quote="DasErlibnis, post:10, topic:267010"]
I don't really want to do any work "against the pirates", we saw what happened the last time someone declared themselves knights and began doing combat duties, like fighting the infidels and protecting travelers for the sake of the Church, I think they were excommunicated and eventually evolved into the Masons.

;)

[/quote]

I suggest a studious viewing of this series:

Part 1
youtube.com/watch?v=C2ee4WzxV4c

A read of this article, if only for the historical information:

staycatholic.com/the_crusades.htm

Rogue elements of Templars, however true or false the allegations are, composed a very small part of the effort of conducting the Crusades, which spanned over centuries. Certainly not every man who took part had proper goals and attitude going for him. The same could be said of these modern wars in Afghanistan, Iraq (well, privately now), etc.
Certainly cabals could form, devious in nature and wholly departed from the goal of the whole, as stated, and approved of by the Pope. Certainly, today, we have seen examples of this in the mere 9 years of Iraq and the various other scandals which went unreported in the early days of Afghanistan. And who is to really say what was done, with the majority of true war fighting being done by more specialized elements in those days. Crazy times, those, from what I hear from friends who were there- both as CAC card holders, and hired hands. How can we expect an effort centuries long to not have its own popularized mythos of scandal? A scandal which, at its heart, seeks to scourge the Roman Catholic Church. A scandal which, heavily lied about, has found favor as a part and parcel element of political rhetoric, doctrine, and foreign policy. Don't pick on the muslims, no! That's not politically correct. Die in the name of your country, but, not defending with a weapon people in oppression's grasp- with the hope of them being either properly instructed in the faith, or allowed to practice it.

I'm not saying I'm looking to run off to Pakistan and lay waste to the men holding Asia Bibi in jail and facing death as of my last research. Oh, believe me, the flesh is willing on that one. But the soul understands it would likely do way more harm than good.

However, let us not fall into the trap of being so prideful as to fancy that the Devil's work ain't done. And guess what, when the Devil's work ain't done, we ain't done. Because there is no rest until evil is defeated. We'll sleep when we're dead.

Having said that, it is not beyond us to think that as either Christians, specifically Catholics, and citizens of a Western country which enables its citizens to still own firearms, that we would not find ourselves in such a position as flicking a safety to fire position again, or for the first time. Nor is it untenable to think that perhaps, in a place such as the areas which are being proposed, that some muslim or animist idiot, high as a kite on qat, could start violence. Nor is it untenable to think that times they are a changin' and when the muslim world pops off, and it will, that one might find themselves suddenly facing a North Sudanese Calvary charge. Literally. Horses. AK's. RPG's. Arty. The same things faced in the early days of Afghanistan. The same days which inspired and necessitated acts which are only talked about between the men who had to do them. Men who probably did some shady or questionable things in the heat of battle. Compound that out a few centuries. You can easily see where even the best of the best, and most devout of men, could, in what amounts to this-may-be-my-entire-life conditions, become corrupt.

What we cannot forget is that anywhere we choose to perform missionary work will likely place us in those exact conditions. Survival mode can do odd things to a man's morals. Sometimes, it rightly skews the lines. Sometimes, unfortunately, men become the savages they wished to lift up. Only they become a smart savage.

But smart savages rarely represent the whole.

Ahhh. The Noble Savage, so misunderstood, so feared, so beloved.

By the way, I'm aware of the politics. The minute someone says they're going on crusade, they are set apart from society and unable to connect, and then the enemies of The Church will gather against you. So why tell your left hand what your right hand is doing?

And I'm completely aware that although I'm only going there to be a builder, to preach love and use my hands, there is a reason I'm looking for soldiers. We'll take care of our own, I ain't building no ghost towns..

[quote="DasErlibnis, post:13, topic:267010"]
By the way, I'm aware of the politics. The minute someone says they're going on crusade, they are set apart from society and unable to connect, and then the enemies of The Church will gather against you. So why tell your left hand what your right hand is doing?

And I'm completely aware that although I'm only going there to be a builder, to preach love and use my hands, there is a reason I'm looking for soldiers. We'll take care of our own, I ain't building no ghost towns..

[/quote]

I dig it, I get it.

[quote="DasErlibnis, post:2, topic:267010"]
http://www.lebhshomea.org/photos/CalvaryOfChrist.jpg

[/quote]

The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate....the Calvary of Christ....Missionaries to the ranches and farms and small towns of 19th Century South Texas.

Sadly they are dying out. From what our pastor told us in a homily, the number of Oblate priests ordained in the U.S. over the last couple of years can be counted on one hand.

Yeah, I know the Oblates pretty intimately. They’re not growing because they’ve gone completely off message to promote an agenda of “inclusive” theology, “feminist” theology, and completely lack authenticity.

Well, that’s what’s happening in Texas anyway. They’ve done everything possible to minimalize the role and value of legitimately priesthood, and they called it “ecumemism”. They’ll go the way of the Paulists

But they were good in the old days weren’t they! They had some good recruits and a good vocation director (fr Charlie Banks), I wonder if the faculty ran them off?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.