Dylann Roof sentenced to death for Emanuel AME Church massacre

Just a few hours after he told a crowded courtroom, “I still feel like I had to do it,” Dylann Roof was sentenced to death by a federal jury Tuesday for carrying out the mass shooting inside Charleston’s Emanuel AME Church in a bid to spark a race war.

The 12-member panel – three black jurors, nine white – deliberated for a little less than three hours before unanimously deciding the 22-year-old self-avowed white supremacist should die for his crimes rather than spend his life in prison without the possibility of parole.

postandcourier.com/church_shooting/jury-sentences-dylann-roof-to-death-for-emanuel-ame-church/article_3c24cc44-d729-11e6-9e5d-2f037e89bddc.html

While I oppose the death penalty and even the Catholic Church says in CCC 2267 "the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity “are very rare, if not practically non-existent”, it did seem to me death was what Roof wanted. Possibly to go down as a martyr for white supremecy.

I, too, oppose the death penalty. So I always find sentences such as these a bit… Confusing.

Not really sure how else to describe it :confused:

What he did was absolutely abominable, but I don’t believe in the death penalty.

I don’t understand why he felt he had to do it.
I haven’t followed the story too close because sometimes you just get tired of hearing about these tragic and senseless killings.
I understand he is very young, but what could make you feel you had to enter a church where there is a Bible study going on and they hand you a Bible and invite you to join them and are welcoming and yet you feel you need to kill everyone save one witness.
This young man ruined his life along with the lives of his family and the lives of the people he killed and their families. Senseless deaths.
I hope every night when he closes his eyes he sees the smiles of the people he killed who were welcoming him to their Bible study and remembers the looks of betrayal and fear they had before they died. What did these innocent people do to him?
I am conflicted about the death penalty. I mostly oppose it. Life imprisonment without parole would be just punishment, but the court process is over and he has received his sentence.

He may yet receive a reprieve or commutation.

We should all pray for the future of his soul, irrespective of whether it remains inside his skin.

ICXC NIKA

:thumbsup:

I to am opposed to the death penalty.
It seems that oftentimes those who receive the death penalty might be those who need the most time to get their souls right with God.
May he experience a conversion before dying and may the souls of those he killed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Amen.

He said something to the effect that he had to do it because the Black race is aggressive and violent. Ironically, he killed the very people, of all races, who are probably the least aggressive and violent, that is, seasoned churchgoers and believers who welcomed him to join them in their Bible study. On top of that, he, a member of the White race, proved himself most aggressive and violent. But, of course, people such as Dylann Roof do not think very logically although I guess he was not considered legally insane or psychologically irrational. I am also conflicted about the death penalty, yet, if it should ever be implemented, this surely is such an instance.

"I felt like I had to do it. And I still feel like I had to do it.” In the white supremacist manifesto Roof wrote after his arrest, he said, “I would like to make it crystal clear I do not regret what I did.”

"I am not sorry. I have not shed a tear for the innocent people I killed. I do feel sorry for the innocent white children forced to live in this sick country and I do feel sorry for the innocent white people that are killed daily at the hands of the lower race. I have shed a tear of self-pity for myself. I feel pity that I had to do what I did in the first place. I feel pity that I had to give up my life because of a situation that should never have existed.”

teenvogue.com/story/dylann-roof-enters-final-phase-of-sentencing?mbid=social_twitter

They were black.

I also don’t agree with the Death Penalty, so I think this is wrong, I would prefer he spent life in a high security prison.

Thank you for reading
Josh

That is exactly my opinion on the matter as well. That said, I would also say that by him getting the death penalty it will quite possibly make him something of a “martyr” for the White Supremacists of the world but especially our nation. He should have gotten life in prison without parole. I long for the day when the death penalty is abolished in our nation.

Affirmative.

People who are executed in this kind of situation get books and films made about them. Those who go to prison are forgotten, as they should be.

ICXC NIKA

I agree, 100%, Prayers for him and all effected by this evil act. God Bless, Memaw

exactly. if he was upset with what he characterized as agressiveness and violence why go to a church if you are seeking vengeance. my answer to that is he is probably a coward worried about his own safety and probably knew he would meet no resistance there.
you are correct in that he did prove to be the aggressive and violent one.

I had not heard any of this. naturally, the only person he pities is himself! :mad:
have his parents come forth at all?

I understand that he was frustrated at the high number of black on white violence but what he did was pure evil, those people he killed were harmless, elderly and clearly not the demographic which he was angry at.

I believe it could be years before he is executed though in which case he could likely be killed in prison in act of revenge by black inmates.

Excellent point.

Death row inmates have no contact with each other. Ever.
They eat alone. Outside the cell one hour a day. Alone.

I would much rather see him get life with no possibility of parole to be served in a prison cell block where the vast majority of inmates are incarcerated bloods or crypts gang members. Lets not let him take the “easy” way out.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.