Eager to hear Scriptures expounded?

Is there a difference between turning up when one can, eager to hear Scriptures expounded, and finding oneself under obligations?

Was I right in thinking it queer that the parish would imply it considered me under obligation, let alone that it didn’t spell this out frankly, and thirdly, leaving it ambiguous as to whether I was also under obligations to second and third parties who may or may not have been sending the speakers to the meetings?

Because many impressive, charged and intense ceremonials full of aura followed, I seem to be in something I need formally releasing from (I don’t think it overly demanding that it should be with a blessing) and it’s been difficult overall to find persons willing to have me stop and discuss these things.

Some of the personnel involved aren’t there any more and the rest are too embarrassed.

I can’t believe in the Holy Spirit any more because He (it?) was many times invoked on behalf of individuals with high authority, that shouldn’t strictly have been interfering.

Yes, there is a difference.

If the parish expected you to show up for something, they should have said so, yes.

It is silly to blame the Holy Spirit for sinful human actions, or to refuse to believe in Him because humans don’t listen to Him. If I lie about my mother letting me do something, or forge her name to a check, my mother does not cease to exist.

Didn’t quite understand the question. The Holy Spirit can be referred to as ‘He’ not ‘it’.

I wasn’t worried about the Holy Spirit, I was worried about me. Apparently I’ve been absolved, so I suppose that is the green light to turn over a new leaf, phew!

:smiley: :thumbsup:

Glad to hear it! Hope things get better for you. Parish life can be confusing.

Mintaka, you give me great hope! If it will work for me, I hope it will work for all the other people I’m worried about, as well!

:slight_smile:

And thanks for the thread.

If a cousin or uncle or “wicked stepsister” (I hope you haven’t got one) jogs her elbow, neither she nor they nor you cease to exist. Even if someone else yet again put them up to jogging her elbow.

Thank you everybody.

It does happen in real life. A lot.

Where this has been happening, the senior prelate is referring to a high demand movement and has ordered his parish clergy to tell the parishioners that it is of far greater value that they join that and far lesser value that they join any other form of devotion or parish belonging.
Thank you Pianistclare and Allegra for your pinpointing questions.
The sort of programme in the instances I am concerned about is not an administrative one. It is within an archbishop’s right to offer it, but not to abuse the discretion of priests to choose how or (in the circumstances) whether to offer it, or the parishioner’s discretion to regard his otherwise chosen devotions and ways of belonging as more valid for himself.
I say “in the circumstances” because the written parameters insist that involvement in the movement is at the priest’s discretion. It is however one of those movements around which there is terrific ambiguity as to whose authority is behind it.
This isn’t a “gripe”, it’s a concern like we may all have and the archbishops’ behaviour concerned amounts to more than “promoting”. I know it for a fact that in the dioceses concerned, the error has long been pointed out by many. Reportedly this is widespread in many countries. Where is the next place the concerns should be taken?
I think this kind of problem has recurred a number of times over the centuries under different “badges” or “brand names”.
I do hope the “gripe police” haven’t been called! I assume most thread participants would think it is preferable that archbishops be dissuaded from this kind of conduct? Why does it quite often become a widespread fad and fashion? As Mintaka pointed out in a thread about Bible studies, confusion does get brought into parish and diocesan life.
Indeed it still warps the priests’ and parishioners’ proper positions when it is willingly joined in by the priest, which I myself witnessed, and I’ll take Liam’s comment as covering that. Exaggerated respect for mystique and a sense in which what appears to be an “understanding” turns out too late to be founded on insufficient grounds, can trip up unwary Catholics. My late Dad had to learn the hard way too, about the several layers of authority behind church authority and ambiguities around demands, in a “movement” he had been in!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.