Early Bible Christians

I wonder if any protestants can give a name and a writing to any Bible Christian prior to Hus, Luther and their contemporaries. I would like someone who believes as you do, that the Bible Alone is sufficient, that the church of Rome and her doctrines are heretical, and that this corrupt church has overshadowed the real Invisible Christian church.

If you are a Protestant, what are you doing here?

At first I thought YOU were a Protestant! ha ha

Good luck finding anyone out there who fits your description, and who will be able to give you that source…

Nope, not a chance.

Bump.

Matthew, Mark Luke, John, James, Paul, Peter and a few others

Yeah the Gnostics of the early Christian community believed in that, although they used different biblical sources but it essence it is what you asked about. they werent Protestant though.

None of them actually did. Even Peter said that there are some writings of Paul different to understand, and he also said the Bible isn’t made for self-interpretation.

2 Peter 3:15-18

And count the forbearance of our Lord as salvation. So also as he does in all his letters, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them** hard to understand, which the ignorant and the unstable twist to their own destruction**, as they do the other Scriptures. You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, beware least you carried away with the error of lawness men and lose your own stability. But grow in grace and knowledge of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. TO him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

2 Peter 1:20-21

First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, because no prophecy ever came by the impulses of man, but moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

In 1st John, John writes that you do not need a man to teach you because the Holy Spirit that you have already received will teach you.

You said 1st John. What verse? I look and it mentions nothing of what you said.

In Protestantism, that’s hardly the case. There are 33,000 Protestant denominations with different interpretation, all claiming to say that the Holy Spirit tell them so. Some Protestant ministers believe in OSAS and others don’t.

Sounds to me the Protestant Holy Spirit is the voice of contradiction. I hardly think God contradict himself.

It wasn’t clear to you that I meant figures after the Bible? From around the 1400’s on we have writings, but nothing before then as far as I can tell. I have yet to come across one early church father who condemns the church, although I do acknowledge that there are discussions and disputes about this, that or the other doctrine.
With the assorted heresies that cropped up, I would think there must’ve been a great, scholarly Bible Christian somewhere who wrote in defense of Truth, but it seems all the defenders can be identified as Catholic. I’m looking to see if I need to be corrected on that point.
Additionally, if the pope and the RCC were growing, absorbing and corrupting true Christianity, again, I would think there would be many records of pastors and lay people alike trying to undo the damage the RCC was doing.
Who were the great Bible Alone, OSAS, sola fide apologist from (let’s say) 150 A.D until 1400 A.D.?

1 John 2:27 Pay no attention to teachers who teach conrtidiction to what the Church has already taught you. Listen to your lawful pastors

1 John 2:27 doesn’t say that.

It says, As for you, the anointing that you received from him remains in you, so that you do not need anyone to teach you. But his anointing teaches you about everything and is true and not false; just as it taught you, remain in him

Are you trying to say that every person is granted perfect knowledge of all things directly from God? If that was true. Then there would of course not have been any need to write any of the New Testament or preach anywhere, anything. Since everyone already knows everything! A person is anointed in Confirmation after Baptism. In Baptism they receive the Holy Spirit and this indwelling of the Holy Spirit is strengthened in Confirmation. Their conscience guided by the Spirit in them, allows them to tell when something taught by other teachers, trying to trick them, does not sit right with that which they have already been taught, by the Church and it’s pastors.

No. The passage indictates that we are to be taught what we have received from (the Church, the bishops (Apostles successors) and that we should not be taught any doctrine contrary to the teachings of the Church.

Manny and Br. Rich, maybe I’m missing something…but are you guys saying the same point only with different words? You both sound like you’re saying the Holy Spirit DOES teach THROUGH the Church…right?

I’m just trying to figure this out as an outside observer to the dialogue. :slight_smile:

Though I have to ask, Br. Rich, when you cited those scriptures, you meant to say what they indicate instead of quote those as though those were the literal words, right? In that case, then it indeed seems like both sides here believe the same thing.

where are the bible christians and their early church heroes???

They don’t have one because neither the Apostles nor their successors taught Sola Scriptura or Faith Alone.

Even at the time of the Apostles, the Gospels were not put together was a collection of 4 Gospels, and the Epistles. It wasn’t until 300 yrs later that the Church accept all 27 NT as canonical books worthy to be used in their Liturgy, a liturgy based on Jewish Liturgy.

Yes, we are saying the same thing. Yes, the Holy Spirit does teach through the Church. No, I was not quoting the passage. I was commenting on it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.