Early Church / Apostolic Tradition:

Acts 20:7 states: And upon the first day of the week (Sunday), when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

The Didache, is also known as “The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles”. It is an ancient Christian text that was probably a catechism, used by the early Church.

And on the Lord’s own day gather yourselves together and break bread and give thanks, first confessing your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. And let no man, having his dispute with his fellow, join your assembly until they have been reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be defiled; for this sacrifice it is that was spoken of by the Lord; Didache, paragraph 14 (probably written between 70-140 A.D.)

lol, not to be rude, but what was the point of this? :slight_smile: The Didache is a great writing.

All good stuff

Working along the catholc lines of thinking, this is referring to confession before receiving the eucharist?

Am I right?

If so, is there any records in the Didache of people going to see their priest or apostle to have their confession heard?

Was confession heard in public then?

Am I right in thinking that private confession came by as a practice much later in the catholic church?

My 13 year old daughter post ed this play with my PC,I am sorry please just ignort. Its to late to delete

Anyways, want to have a shot at answering my questions?

What is your question,I do not see her question did she even ask one

I guess thats a no then :shrug: :slight_smile:

She’s pretty smart!

You have a short attention span :wink:

[quote=Guyonthestree763886]t;5Working along the catholc lines of thinking, this is referring to confession before receiving the eucharist?

Am I right?
[/quote]

Could be.

The Catholic Church is the Kingdom of God on Earth.
Ask your RCIA director.

I do not care about the question if you feel you like to answer it go ahead, I did not think she ask a question. I,ll need to read it again

I might be missing something here, but whats the connection between the kingdom of God on earth, and public or private confession in the beginning of the church before receiving the eucharist, which is what I was asking about?

Originally Posted by Matthew
The Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Yeast
31He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches.”

I’m trying to say traditions (small t) changes and grows as the Church’s understanding of Revelation increases.

Ah. OK. I’m following it now. Sometimes Im a little too uncouth for all the subtilty in the Bible :smiley:

You can read the Didache yourself if you like. It’s easy to find online and is quite short. You should be able to read it in 30 minutes or less.
I’m honestly not sure about your question, but it doesn’t make much difference one way or the other. It was still confession, private or not, and there was absolution.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.