Early Church Fathers Agree: Spirit Proceeds From Father and (through) the Son

Early Church Fathers Agree: The Holy Spirit Proceeds from the Father and (through) the Son

Tertullian

“I believe that the Spirit proceeds not otherwise than from the Father through the Son” (Against Praxeas 4:1 [A.D. 216]).

Fulgence of Ruspe

“Hold most firmly and never doubt in the least that the only God the Son, who is one person of the Trinity, is the Son of the only God the Father; but the Holy Spirit himself also one person of the Trinity, is Spirit not of the Father only, but of Father and of Son together” (The Rule of Faith 53 [A.D. 524]).

“Hold most firmly and never doubt in the least that the same Holy Spirit who is Spirit of the Father and of the Son, proceeds from the Father and the Son” (ibid., 54).

Origen

“We believe, however, that there are three persons: the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit; and we believe none to be unbegotten except the Father. We admit, as more pious and true, that all things were produced through the Word, and that the Holy Spirit is the most excellent and the first in order of all that was produced by the Father through Christ” (Commentaries on John 2:6 [A.D. 229]).

Maximus the Confessor

"By nature the Holy Spirit in his being takes substantially his origin from the Father through the Son who is begotten (Questions to Thalassium 63 [A.D. 254]).

Gregory the Wonderworker

“[There is] one Holy Spirit, having substance from God, and who is manifested through the Son; image of the Son, perfect of the perfect; life, the cause of living; holy fountain; sanctity, the dispenser of sanctification; in whom is manifested God the Father who is above all and in all, and God the Son who is through all. Perfect Trinity, in glory and eternity and sovereignty neither divided nor estranged” (Confession of Faith [A.D. 265]).

Hilary of Poitiers

“Concerning the Holy Spirit . . . it is not necessary to speak of him who must be acknowledged, who is from the Father and the Son, his sources” (The Trinity 2:29 [A.D. 357]).

“In the fact that before times eternal your [the Father’s] only-begotten [Son] was born of you, when we put an end to every ambiguity of words and difficulty of understanding, there remains only this: he was born. So too, even if I do not g.asp it in my understanding, I hold fast in my consciousness to the fact that your Holy Spirit is from you through him” (ibid., 12:56).

Didymus the Blind

“As we have understood discussions . . . about the incorporeal natures, so too it is now to be recognized that the Holy Spirit receives from the Son that which he was of his own nature. . . . So too the Son is said to receive from the Father the very things by which he subsists. For neither has the Son anything else except those things given him by the Father, nor has the Holy Spirit any other substance than that given him by the Son” (The Holy Spirit 37 [A.D. 362]).

Epiphanius of Salamis

“The Father always existed and the Son always existed, and the Spirit breathes from the Father and the Son” (The Man Well-Anchored 75 [A.D. 374]).

Basil The Great

“Through the Son, who is one, he [the Holy Spirit] is joined to the Father, one who is one, and by himself completes the Blessed Trinity” (The Holy Spirit 18:45 [A.D. 375]).

“[T]he goodness of [the divine] nature, the holiness of [that] nature, and the royal dignity reach from the Father through the only-begotten [Son] to the Holy Spirit. Since we confess the persons in this manner, there is no infringing upon the holy dogma of the monarchy” (ibid., 18:47).

Ambrose of Milan

“Just as the Father is the fount of life, so too, there are many who have stated that the Son is designated as the fount of life. It is said, for example that with you, Almighty God, your Son is the fount of life, that is, the fount of the Holy Spirit. For the Spirit is life, just as the Lord says: ‘The words which I have spoken to you are Spirit and life’ [John 6:63]” (The Holy Spirit 1:15:152 [A.D. 381]).

“The Holy Spirit, when he proceeds from the Father and the Son, does not separate himself from the Father and does not separate himself from the Son” (ibid., 1:2:120).

Spirit comes from God(Father) and goes to Son(Prophet) and that is all but nothing else!

And anything from God is eternal and uncreated and therefore God!

If God make that thing eternal! Every thing is from God(universe and all in it) but these are not uncreated and have no attributes of God!

These posts that you are making, are they a cut and paste of the “Fathers Know Best” columns from the old This Rock magazine? Just wondering, because I found those columns to be very useful, and at my wife’s request I compiled them into one 304-page document.

You believe that God created His Spirit?

hasantas-

Christians and Jews share your belief that there is only one God. However, Christians believe that God has revealed something that we could not possibly have guessed if He had not made it known to us: there are three persons in the one God.

This is difficult to grasp, but let me try to explain it to you. A rock exists and is not a person. A man exists and is one person. God exists and is three persons. You can see from this that the number of persons does not depend upon the number of beings. Man is one being and one person. God is one being and three persons. Christians refer to these three persons as God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Second, God the Father has perfect knowledge of Himself; and the idea that God has of himself cannot be imperfect. Whatever is in the Father must be in His idea of Himself, and must be exactly the same as it is in Himself. Otherwise, God would have an imperfect idea of Himself, which would be nonsense. Thus, because God is infinite, eternal, all-powerful, his idea of Himself is infinite, eternal, all-powerful. Because God is God, His idea of Himself is God. In the Christian Bible, we read, “In the beginning was the Word (Idea), and the Word was with God. And the Word was God.”

The Father knows and loves. His idea knows and loves. In other words, His idea is a person. Men have ideas, and any given idea is something. God’s idea of himself is not something only; it is Someone, for it can know and love.

The Thinker (God the Father) and the Idea (God the Son) are distinct, the one is not the other, Father and Son are two persons. But they are not separate.

Among men, fathers are always older than sons simply because a human being cannot start generating the moment he exists; he must wait till he develops to the point where he can generate. But God has not to wait for a certain amount of eternity to roll by before he is sufficiently developed. Eternity does not roll by; it is an abiding now; and God has all perfections in their fullness, not needing to develop. Merely by being God, he knows himself with infinite knowing power, and utters his total self-knowledge in the totally adequate idea of himself which is his co-eternal Son.

The production of a Second Person does not exhaust the infinite richness of the divine nature. Our Lord tells of a third person. There is a Spirit, to whom Our Lord will entrust his followers when He Himself shall have ascended to the Father.

Father and Son love each other, with infinite intensity. What we could not know, if it were not revealed to us, is that they unite to express their love and that the expression is a third divine person. In the Son, the Father utters his self-knowledge; in the Holy Spirit, Father and Son utter their mutual love.

Their love is infinite; its expression cannot be less. Infinite love does not express its very self finitely; it can no more produce inadequate expression than infinite knowledge can produce an inadequate idea. Each gives himself wholly to the outpouring of his love for the other, holding nothing back–indeed the very thought of holding back is ridiculous; if they give themselves at all, they can give themselves only totally–they possess nothing but their totality! The uttered love of Father and Son is infinite, lacks no perfection that they have, is God, a person, someone.

As the one great operation of spirit, knowing, produces the second person, so the other, loving, produces the third. but be careful upon this–the second proceeds from, is produced by, the first alone, but the third, the Holy Spirit, proceeds from Father and Son, as they combine to express their love.

They probably formed the basis for my files, but over time, I add to them as I come across new quotes.

What does that mean " His Spirit"? God has no a spirit as like other alives. If God create a spirit than that spirit is His Spirit. But that does not mean that the spirit is part of God. A part of God (we cannot comprehend property of divine attributes but we can feel) has not need to be created. Otherwise it has no mean to say God. So ıf God created that Spirit than that spirit is not part of divinity but it could be part of creatures.

You said:

So does that mean God created His Spirit which comes from God (The Father) or no?

In that way everything comes from God. So yes that Spirit comes from God.

So the Spirit is creation?

Simple yes or no.

God is infinite, God’s nature is incomprehensible to men, how do we know God? Before we can assume what God can do or can’t do we would have to determine how we know God at all?

It is important to be precise here. I never said that God is three persons in one person. I said that God is three persons.

Only Christians assert such woundrous idea and all other believers(before and after Christians) have no such knowledges(claims).

Yes, only Christians believe in the Trinity. It was not believed beforehand because it was not revealed. It was not believed by newer religions because they DENY something already revealed or rather, they DENY that this was ever revealed.

So, we have to ask ourselves, “Who do we believe? Those who were there and were witnesses to the events that gave rise to Christianity? Or those who, several hundred years and several hundred miles away, denied what those witnesses had testified to have seen?”

The speechs, wisdom, power, view, hear, ideas etc of God are eternal like as God Himself. But these attributes are not seperate from God and have no an other personality.

I agree. Jesus said, “I and my Father are one.” They are not separate. However, for you to say that God is not a trinity of three persons is just your personal opinion…not something that can be proven or for which you have any strong evidence. I, on the other hand, have the resurrection of Jesus from the dead as evidence that He told the Truth, and among those truths He revealed are the reality that the Father is God, the Son is God and the Spirit is God, and they are one God.

“In the beginning was the Word, and Word was with God(Word was on principles of God) and Word(Son, Jesus) was from God and was sent by God.” And that Word is not God and is not part of God.

The actual text of the Book of John reads:

John 1:1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

There is no need for three persons in one personality like there is no need for three kings on an one throne.

No need? Well, maybe. But God never said that He “needs” to be a Trinity for any specific reason; He simply revealed that He IS a Trinity of three persons. But again, not persons like you and I are separate persons. There is no separation between the persons of the Trinity.

Idea of God is not a seperate person indeed it is not a person. But that idea is eternal but again is not a person.

Suppose you were studying at a university, and you met a student from a foreign country who did not believe in God. How would you go about convincing that classmate that God exists?

:thumbsup:

Yes. Spirit is a creature. God has not need to go or proceed through matter to do something. God is in every where but also God is in no where.

Early Church Fathers said this?:confused:

MJ

Jesus taught us the doctrine of Three Persons sharing completely and perfectly One Divine Nature.

so, regardless of whatever theologies anyone else might come up with, I am sticking with what Jesus taught us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.