early church fathers

can anyone recommend a decent book?

im looking at the penguin “early church fathers” book.

any advice? just not the huge set that i saw for 300 dollars

oh…i found this but i dont really like to read on my computer so its not something ill probably really concentrate on. but it looks neat.

zeitun-eg.org/ecfidx.htm

thanks.

William A. Jurgens put out a great three volume set entitled, “The Faith of the Early Fathers”. I would highly recommend it if it is their writings that you are interested in…I believe that you can get all three volumes for under $60…God Bless…teachccd :slight_smile:

It’s a shame that you don’t want to read on the computer because I have tons of them here free litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Early+Church+Fathers+Collection

litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Bible+Commentaries-Fathers+and+Doctors

The Catholic University of America puts out a great series that you can buy individually. cuapress.cua.edu/BOOKS/Supplementary/FCINDEX.cfm#PS

yeah, the website i posted has a zip file with 37 volumes, i just like reading a book, its easier on my eyes.

Who needs a book? Or a library?

Just get the info online:

newadvent.org/fathers
ccel.org/fathers.html

The OP wants a book. O.K.?? :rolleyes: :smiley:

maize

yeah, the website i posted has a zip file with 37 volumes, i just like reading a book, its easier on my eyes

.I understand, I have purchased the printed collection (38 volume set) that you are talking about, and I also have the collection from the CUA series as well as various others. I like being able to use the indexes and also take them with me anywhere I go so I can read them.

Check out my suggestion in post #2. Who knows, you might like them…:slight_smile: And they’re books and there’s only 3!!

any advice? just not the huge set that i saw for 300 dollars

Interlibrary loans!! Yes,all libraries have them. Your local library has access to all the books in all the universities in the US. Just hunt through Amazon for what you want and then order them for free through interlibrary loan,

Jurgens has a 3 book series with some of the best quotes from the church fathers. You could try finding a cheap used set on Amazon, Ebay, or Half.com.

God bless, Annem

thanks everyone!

ill take the advice for the three volume set and also use the advice to get them through the library.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.