Early Church Fathers

I posted this in another part of the forums, but I thought it would be nice to have a thread with links like this posted for informational purposses.

About the Early Church Fathers[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial] [/font][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]
[font=Arial]ECF Purgatory
[/font][/size][/font]
[font=Arial]ECF The Church[/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial]ECF Intercession of the Saints[/font][/size][/font]
[font=Arial]ECF The Primacy of Peter/Rome[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF Mary Ever-Virgin[/font]
ECF Peter’s Presence in Rome
[font=Arial]ECF The Immaculate Conception [/font]
ECF Apostolic Succession http://www.staycatholic.com/anim_NewFlag.gif**[font=Arial] **[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF The Assumption [/font]
**ECF Tradition****[font=Arial] **[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF Contraception[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF Justification[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF Divorce and Remarriage[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF Baptism[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF Salvation Outside the Church[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF The Mass [/font]
[font=Arial]ECF The Divinity of Christ[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF The Real Presence[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF Hell[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF Confession[/font]
[font=Arial]ECF Sabbath or Sunday[/font]

Fathers of the Church

[list]
*]The Appeal to the Fathers
*]Classification of Patristic Writings
[list]
*]Apostolic Fathers and the Second Century
*]Third Century
*]Fourth Century
*]Fifth Century
*]Sixth Century
[/list]
*]Characteristics of Patristic Writings
[list]
*]Commentaries
*]Preachers
*]Writers
*]East and West
*]Theology
*]Discipline, Liturgy, Ascetics
*]Historical Materials
[/list]
*]Patristic Study
[/list]

[quote=RyanL]Fathers of the Church

[list]
*]The Appeal to the Fathers
*]Classification of Patristic Writings
[list]
*]Apostolic Fathers and the Second Century
*]Third Century
*]Fourth Century
*]Fifth Century
*]Sixth Century
[/list]
*]Characteristics of Patristic Writings

[list]
*]Commentaries
*]Preachers
*]Writers
*]East and West
*]Theology
*]Discipline, Liturgy, Ascetics
*]Historical Materials
[/list]
*]Patristic Study
[/list]
[/quote]

I picked one of the above at random and within about 30 seconds found ill informed abuse of the east.

It really should be noted this is a dated, lay produced, out of date, useful only in limited circumstances for research document. The more I read, the more uneasy I become about it’s prescence on the web…

This version really needs to carry a ‘Use with Care’ warning. A diocese in this country notes on it’s links page, ‘SOME articles are still useful’…

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

JGC,

Thanks for the heads up. Could you please be a little more specific, or perhaps post some links to better material?

Thanks for the help, and God bless,
RyanL

GREAT!!!

[quote=RyanL]JGC,

Thanks for the heads up. Could you please be a little more specific, or perhaps post some links to better material?

RyanL
[/quote]

But the essential truth remains that the West thought more clearly than the East, while preserving with greater faithfulness a more explicit tradition as to cardinal dogmas, and that the West imposed her doctrines and her definitions on the East, and repeatedly, if necessary, reasserted and reimposed them.

As Basil and Gregory were formed to oratory by the Christian Prohaeresius, so was Chrysostom by the heathen orator Libanius. In the classical Gregory we may sometimes find the rhetorician; in Chrysostom never; his amazing natural talent prevents his needing the assistance of art, and though training had preceded, it has been lost in the flow of energetic thought and the torrent of words. He is not afraid of repeating himself and of neglecting the rules, for he never wishes to be admired, but only to instruct or to persuade. But even so great a man has his limitations. He has no speculative interest in philosophy or theology, though he is learned enough to be absolutely orthodox. He is a holy man and a practical man, so that his thoughts are full of piety and beauty and wisdom; but he is not a thinker. None of the Fathers has been more imitated or more read; but there is little in his writings which can be said to have moulded his own or future times, and he cannot come for an instant into competition with Origen or Augustine for the first place among ecclesiastical writers.

Two consequences, amongst others, of this swift evangelization of the East must be noticed. In the first place, while the slow progress of the West was favourable to the preservation of the unchanged tradition, the quick conversion of the East was accompanied by a rapid development which, in the sphere of dogma, was hasty, unequal, and fruitful of error.

+++++++++++

:o:(:rolleyes:

It’s just rubbish really.:banghead:

[quote=RyanL]JGC,

RyanL
[/quote]

In terms of recomendations, I am not far enough advanced to really recomend something in case I point you the wrong way, perhaps others here might help…

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.