Early Church Fathers

I’m getting ready to do a study on the Early Church Fathers – reading their writings directly, rather than just snippets in books. Is there a list available of these men? And is there a recommended order of reading? Or would you stay, “start at the beginning” and go from there? And if so, where is the beginning?

Any advice you can suggest will be helpful.

Rhonda in GA

newadvent.org/fathers/

[quote=Rhonda in GA]I’m getting ready to do a study on the Early Church Fathers – reading their writings directly, rather than just snippets in books. Is there a list available of these men? And is there a recommended order of reading? Or would you stay, “start at the beginning” and go from there? And if so, where is the beginning?

Rhonda in GA
[/quote]

I recommend you buy this 3 volume series. I also would recommend The Teachings of the Church Fathers, which outlines the teachings of the Fathers.

[quote=Rhonda in GA]I’m getting ready to do a study on the Early Church Fathers – reading their writings directly, rather than just snippets in books. Is there a list available of these men? And is there a recommended order of reading? Or would you stay, “start at the beginning” and go from there? And if so, where is the beginning?

Rhonda in GA
[/quote]

I would suggest that you take a few months and study a handbook on Patrology. This is not the writings of the Fathers but biography about the Fathers who they are and when and what they wrote before you start.

Start with those found in Early Christian Writings . Supplement these with The Shepherd of Hermas and the writings of Justin Martyr (his First and Second Apology and his Dialogue with Trypho the Jew).

To these I would also suggest adding The Protoevangelium of James.

These will cover the most important Christian writings to about the year 155 A.D.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.