Early Church Fathers

Hello everyone,

I previously asked a similar question at the Eastern Christianity Forum it didn’t really help me. I want to read the Early Church Fathers (especially the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers) - the only thing is that I don’t know where to start. Can anyone help me. I’m looking for works that teach about baptism, the eucharist, the trinity, et cetera.

Catholig

I really enjoyed “Faith of the Early Fathers” a three volume set by William Jurgens. All the subjects you mentioned are touched on in great detail.

Another resource I use is Church Fathers Section of the Christian Classics Ethereal Library (CCEL).

Enjoy the journey as you learn about the beginnings of our faith from the great Saints and others.

I have several books that I thought were excellent.

The classic set is the four volume “The Faith of the Early Fathers” by William Jurgens. The Teachings of the Church Fathers by John Willis S.J. is also very good. Early Christian Writings, a Penguin Classics book, and The 33 Doctors of the Church by Fr. Christopher Rengers are also good.

Early Christian Writings: New Testament, Apocrypha, Gnostics, Church Fathers

Catholic First Information Center, Church Fathers Index

Church Militant - thank you for the second link. That was something along the lines of what I was looking for.

Catholig

A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs (Hardcover)
by David W. Bercot (Editor)

Bercot like Jergens quotes the fathers on a wide range of topics.

I personaly believe the following site is better than William Jurgens because all the doctrines are organized by doctrines, versuses Jurgens organizes by church father.

cin.org/users/jgallegos/contents.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.