Early Mass compared to Tridentine and Novus Ordo Masses

They were Apostles and Disciples, even women were there.

No a latin rite Catholic Priest is a Priest. No ef, of, or any other f. A Priest is a Priest.

5 Likes

At the last supper, the Apostles were no longer laymen. They were made priests by Jesus himself, and they were the first bishops of the Church.

3 Likes

But the Apostles were made priests at the last supper, and became the first Bishops of the Church.

1 Like

What about all the Disciples and women there?

Please show me where in the Gospels it says that women and other disciples were at the last supper.

Ohhh challenge

Matthew 26:26

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”

Mark

Mark 14:12
And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said to him, Where will you that we go and prepare that you may eat the passover?

Luke 22.19 onwards

He took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me

Do you have a source for this?

Even then they had some people who were not well-behaved during Mass. Otherwise, there would be no need to mention such a function for the deacon.

If you can find it, you should read Fr. Robert Taft’s book “Liturgy as the Byzantines Saw It”. It is quite an eye-opening description, from the words of the Fathers and other primary sources, of the liturgy in Constantinople during the so-called Godlen Age of Liturgy.

2 Likes

The disciples means the Apostles. They are referred to as disciples several times.

1 Like

Can you show me where that is a fact in the Gospels

Yes of course they would have been there serving the food and making preparations and such, but they weren’t sitting there when Jesus broke the bread and said “do this in memory of me.”

“After that, he putteth water into a basin, and began to wash the feet of the disciples, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.”

John 13:5

I showed a source suggesting that it wasn’t in certain aspects.

Yes. I demand to be in on the taste tests!

:rofl:

hawk

I would recommend looking at how the mass is celebrated in other rites. That would give you a better idea of how the mass was celebrated if you compare it with the traditional EF.

I meant to convey that he was a priest that says the Novus Ordo exclusively. I didn’t meant to say that they’re different Rites etc. Thanks for realising that.

1 Like

You realise that when Christ said, “do this in memory of me”, He ordained the Apostles priests? If He was speaking to women, then we’d have women priests. Don’t pervert the truth.

1 Like

You’re welcome.

1 Like

My understanding is that the Eucharistic Prayer I, or the Roman Canon, is so primitive that we consider the Lord’s words of institution to actually consecrate the bread and wine. The epiclesis, or invocation of the Holy Spirit, which is present in the three other Eucharistic prayers, is at least in part a gesture for the easterners, who sometimes make an issue of our rite.

2 Likes

I don’t know where you pulled that out of. Throughout it’s entire 1200 odd-year history, in Old St. Peter’s in Rome, the priest always faced the people, over a free-standing altar, and the people always faced west. Same in many other of the old churches in Rome. Ad orientem and versus populi were both Frankish innovations that didn’t catch on until the 9th century. Other Frankish innovations from the same time were Gregorian Chant and the use of the organ in church.

5 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.