Early to bed, early to rise

Is there any specific Catholic teaching that would support this claim? In your OWN life, do you find it better to get up early, and go to bed early?

I personally go to bed at 9:30, give or take a few minutes, and am usually up by 5:57…I know, weird times, but that is what my alarm is set for :slight_smile:

I hit the hay at 9 p.m. But wake up before the alarm at about 4. A. M

I am in bed by 1am and up about 8.30am When I was working I was in bed around 11pm and up at 4am to catch a plane at 6am depending on daylight saving. Sleep is essential and you need to replenish any sleep deficit your life entails, but I do not think morality comes into it.

I always like to go to bed early. Sometimes as early as 4am. Early to rise, not so much.

I don’t know if the Church has an official position on this.

Here it is about 2:30 am, and I’m going to bed. I’ll probably wake at 7:30.

I don’t know of any specific teaching on this…There may be something in Proverbs or Wisdom that relates to it.
I think the “Early to Bed, early to rise…”, quote is from Benjamin Franklin (Poor Richard’s Almanac) but I might be wrong on that.

I too tend to be a morning person. Generally in bed by about 9 or so and up by 4:30.

Peace
James

Because of our family schedule we do the opposite. We go to bed late, real late. The kids are “in bed” at 11 but not asleep until later and they sleep until about 10. My wife and I are up by about 7 or 8. She goes to work and I get some chores done before the kiddoes get up.

I’ve never been an early riser and struggled with it when I had jobs/school that required me to get up early. Best schedule for me is to stay up until about 1am and get up at 9am. I need the whole 8 hours of sleep.

I am generally pretty flexible provided I get 7 hours or so. Normally I am in bed by 12, and up by 8.

I worked the 12am to 12pm schedule most of my life and got used to it. My roommate (who I have to have because of my dissabllities works7 pm to 7am).

So I sleep about 3am to 2pm. My meds knock me in the head and I need that much sleep. If I got up early what would be the point? I can’t do much on my own, so why bother?

BTW, Franklin wrote that when times were very different. For one thing electric light was far into the future.

I am retired for medical reasons as well

A man after my own heart.

I don’t think the Church would have a specific teaching on this other than in regard to maybe sloth? Don’t stay in bed all day out of sheer laziness.

What time one goes to sleep or gets up each day will vary depending on family, job, one’s own circadian rhythm, or general activities planned for the day. It would be lovely if I could go to bed at 9, but that isn’t going to work very well when the baby needs to eat again around 11pm.

I tend to rise early. Generally I’m in bed by 9:15 pm but may read in bed until about 10 pm, +/- 30 min depending on how tired I am, or how good the book is. Some days if I’m really tired I’ll read Compline in bed at around 9 pm. Whether I say Compline in bed or in my oratory, I will read a chapter of the Rule of St. Benedict plus commentary after Compline, then whatever book I’m reading (a book about the Highland Clearances at the moment, following a vacation in Scotland; I almost never read fiction).

I set the alarm for 5:45 am, generally hit snooze once, then am up at 5:55. I put the hot water on the boil for my wife’s tea, feed the cats, then pray Vigils in my oratory starting at 6 am. By the time my wife is up at around 7:30, her breakfast and tea are on the table and I’m praying Lauds. I usually have breakfast before she does, between 7 and 7:30, while reading my newspaper online. She’s a late riser, if left to her own devices she’d be up at 9 but she has to work so forces herself up at 7:30 or so. If I’ve been up late the night before for whatever reason (jet lag from travel, choir rehearsal, night out with my wife, etc.), I may sleep in a bit the next day. I don’t recall though, when I’ve slept past 7:30 in recent years.

On Sundays I usually get up an hour later, at 7 or a bit later. My little luxury :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to have a awful commute for a few years (100 km each way each day), and would rise at 4 am to be on the road at 5 in order to beat the traffic into the city. But I can no longer get up that early on a regular basis. I do occasionally rise at 5 if I have something going on and need to be out the door early.

I don’t think the Church has an official teaching on this unless you’re a monk/religious bound to choir and have to be up for Vigils, which can be as early as 11 pm for Carthusians and as late as 5:30-6 am for Benedictines.

If I go to bed before 11pm, I will wake up at 2 or 3am and not be able to go to bed. That being said, I do a lot better if I can get up early in the morning and exercise and go to Mass before work. But that rarely ever happens because of the issue of waking up in the middle of the night if I go to bed too early.

If you study the routines of most religious orders, they go to bed early and get up early. Of course, religious live a much more structured life than the laity. The armed forces get up real early too. And at work, the people who get there super early seem to have the edge.

:wink:

Psalm 57:8 says, “Awake, my soul! Awake O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn!”
The Douay version makes it even more clear: “Arise O my glory, arise psaltery and harp:** I will arise early**.”

So obviously it is much better to wake up early (which I naturally do:)) and then to be well rested, one would of course have to retire early as well (which I also naturally do:)). So it is written, so shall it be done.

When I was young and single, I liked swing shift. Then I gradually changed with marriage and children (who had some pretty crazy schedules themselves), but now I’m old and prefer early to bed. I’d like to sleep late, but I have a donkey that goes off at 5:30 most mornings. Sometimes he lets me sleep until 6, but that’s rare. :slight_smile:

A great many of the Saints discuss sacrificing sleep and rising early. My wife and I try to get to bed between 9PM and 10PM. I get up at 5AM to pray the LOTH and the rest of the family is up at 6AM to pray the Angelus. We have four kids so far and we all make it. :slight_smile: Rest will come in the next life. :slight_smile:

The early bird gets the worm.

On the other hand, it sucks to be the early worm.

I’ve always been a lark even when I was a child, but I find that I like sleeping more and more as I get older. I go to bed around 8:30 pm and get up at 4:30 am on weekdays. On weekends I go to bed around 9:30 pm and get up around 7:30 am. I adore sleeping in. I don’t care what they say: I think people really can make up sleep time on the weekends. I always feel much more rested on the weekends.

But who wants to eat worms!

I’d rather have Night Owl.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.