Early type 1 diabetes shortens women's lives by 18 years

Why are you posting this story?

Does your posting of this story have anything to do with the fact that Justice Sonia Sotomayor has Type 1 diabetes? I know you’ve posted about her health issues (often) in the past.

What’s your point?

There has been some encouraging news of late on curing type 1 diabetes. Hope it is true, and people’s lives are not shorted by the disease. A little on that can be seen here ~

Vaccine to reverse Type 1 diabetes gets national attention

https://chicagohealthonline.com/managing-the-highs-and-lows/

The patriarchy at work…

Frankly, I’m a bit surprising that it isn’t more life-shortening than that. Type I is really bad stuff and ultimately affects every organ in the body, every artery, every vein, every nerve.

Another post about the shorter life expectancy of those with Type 1 diabetes.

I ask you again, is this related to your (multiple) posts a while back about the supposed poor health of Justice Sonia Sotomayor?

Apropos of nothing, just 'cause I’m thinking out loud:

I think trying for deniability is contemptible.

And again, apropos of nothing, just thoughts popping into my mind, Justice Sotomayor is a family friend. I’ve met her. I’ve had dinner with her. I like her, personally.

Hurricane Maria slowed down some of the new technology that’s out there:

As might be expected, not everything in this field has gone smoothly. Due to both high demand and the fact that one of Medtronic’s manufacturing plants located in Puerto Rico was damaged by Hurricane Maria, it has been unable to ship part of the 670G to new users, and may not be able to meet demand until 2018

We have a family member diagnosed at the age of 4. The technology improvements are spectacularly quick coming. There are already “auto” insulin pumps which combine continuous glucose monitoring with basal adjustments (bolus isn’t quite there yet). We have encouraged to hear from her endocrinologist that she expects there to be effectively an “artificial pancreas” (insofar as insulin management) within 10 years, and possibly some biomedical solutions that effectively cure T1D within 20 years.

Now, my understanding is that T1D, with very strict management, can be as effective in controlling blood sugars as a person without T1D. So if there are any complications due to T1D, I suspect it is due to poor management, not due to T1D itself. Also, I suspect that T1D is harder to control in women than men due to hormonal fluctuations such as during menstruation and pregnancy. If this is the case, I would think that the advancements in technology will flatten these fluctuations out and better control blood glucose levels.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.