Earth Day: Abortion Has Killed 1-2 Billion Worldwide in 50 Years

Earth Day: Abortion Has Killed 1-2 Billion Worldwide in 50 Years

The media is abuzz with news about humanity’s numbers. Sometime during the latter part of this year or early next year—the exact date is still a little fuzzy—there will be, for the first time in history, 7 billion people alive on the planet at the same time.

http://www.lifenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/proabort7.jpg

Left-wing pundits are already splashing ink all over this subject. National Geographic is taking the entire year to decry this increase in numbers, spinning off countless articles, sleek videos, and photo sets warning of the “overpopulation” disasters that supposedly await us.

Other organizations are in full panic mode as well. Panelists at an American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting, abandoning scientific objectivity in favor of junk science, railed about the exponential growth of population and its effect on the environment. Within hours of this meeting, the Internet was ablaze with scary headlines. Yahoo News warned us that the “Planet Could Be ‘Unrecognizable’ by 2050.” The Teheran Times cried out “Can Humanity Survive a Population of Over 10 Billion People?” (That Iran, thanks to a nationwide sterilization campaign organized by the ayatollahs, is now having too few children to maintain the current population seems to have escaped the paper’s notice.)

What I find shocking is that so many people use the overpopulation argument to justify abortion. But the fact is, the overpopulation argument is a false one. The world is not overpopulated and even if it was, it still wouldn’t be a justification for murdering an unborn child.

May God have mercy on us!

I disagree with abortion and I believe God is very hostile to it. However I also believe the contraceptive pill was God’s gift given at the very time that population pressures were becoming a real problem in some places. Even the committee appointed by the Pope recommended that the pill be approved for married couples.

"Soon after the introduction of the pill (in 1963) Pope John XXIII convened a panel in order to decide whether contraception should remain a sin or not. The papal commission on birth control included married Catholic women, and the commission voted overwhelmingly to recommend that the church rescind its ban on contraception.

The Pope, however, decided to reject the commission’s recommendation & instead appointed a second commission, made up of only 15 bishops (all men). This second commission also voted overwhelmingly to recommend that the church rescind its ban on contraception."

Here are some graph of world population growth. Note the almost vertical climb once we hit the modern age.

subdude-site.com/WebPages_Local/Blog/topics/environment/enviro_worldPopGrowth_charts.htm

But of course there’s no need to worry about demand on resources. That’ll just take care of itself.

This also demonstrates why I haven’t got much time for the dogma of “papal infallibility”, no matter how it’s worded.

The world is overpopulated. Whilst I strongly believe that there is more than enough food to go around (after all, U.S. and EU farmers are paid to destroy their crops :rolleyes:), and that there is more than enough room for developing countries to grow economically, I am hugely skeptical that there will be enough land to suit the billions of people that are to come in the coming years. This is due to the fact that land is possibly one of the very few factors of production that does not increase (whereas capital, labour and the number of entrepreneurs do). Now unless you are perfectly compatible with your area having a high population density, such that your neighbours can see what you’re doing in your house, then this should be a worrying situation.

The only solution I can see to this is if research begins to go into how we can live on other planets to suit the new incomers, but even then, who would want to live on another planet :confused:. Another possible solution would be greater investment in flats and skyscrapers; but then of course, that would pop the bubble of the “American dream”.

I would also be incredibly interested to see a Catholic economist refute Malthus’ predictions on demographics. If anyone here can refute Malthus’ claims (namely, that he would be true were it not for birth control), then please do so…I would be happy to hear.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

Then you are a formal heresy and have automatically excommunicated yourself latae sententiae.

Repent, and reconcile with the Church in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Overpopulation: The Making of a Myth

Sorry, but I reserve the right to think for myself.

Not on Papal Infallibility.

It only comes into play when he speaks from the chair. You might want to try to understand it more before you reject it.

Eh, we got a long long ways to go before we run out of land. I’ve seen it for myself.

Thanks for the good video, and I’ll personally be researching more into this (since I’m a wannabe economist :p)

The most interesting part was when the narrator asserted that the entire world’s population could reside in a house with a yard in a place the same size as Texas. So if that’s really indeed true, then there is no need for contention concerning birth control :wink:

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

There are more videos. Their site is located at: pop.org

Thank you for asking.

By amazing coincidence:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=548541

Unrelated, but the founder of Earth Day, living up to his creed, apparently attempted to compost his girlfriend.

No hypocrite, he:

msnbc.msn.com/id/42711922/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Opinion piece not a news article

Please read the forum rules before posting

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.