Earth Hour Tonite, Turn Off The Lights At 8 Pm. Want To Do It?

www3.earthhourus.org/

THIS IS ABOUT EARTH HOUR… TONITE SAT 3/29 CITIES ALL OVER THE WORLD ARE TURNING OFF THE LIGHTS FOR ONE HOUR. AUSTRALIA JUST DID THEIRS… AND PEOPLE ARE PARTICPATING… TO REMEMBER TO CONSERVE THE EARTH’S RESOURCES. i THINK IT MIGHT HELP BE BETTER STEWARDS!

ANYWAY, CHECK IT OUT AND , WHAT DO YOU THINK>?

Okay, I just read about this on my crunchy forum that I participate in…

8pm…what Eastern? Pacific? (oh, your own local time…)

I think it would be a good time to turn off lights, light candles and pray a Rosary for the War in Iraq…

yes it will be nice to use the time to pray.

I will pass. That is my reading time.

I’ll participate. My lights will be off from around 10:30 tonight until about 6:30 tomorrow morning (unless I have to go to the bathroom during the night.):wink:

I had never heard of this until it was posted here.

The campaign began last year in Australia, and traveled this year from the South Pacific to Europe in cadence with the setting of the sun. Several U.S. cities also planned symbolic darkouts or dimmings of monuments, including the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

Earth Hour officials said they were hopeful of mobilizing 100 million people to turn off their nonessential lights and electronic goods for the hour. Electricity plants produce greenhouse gases that fuel climate change.

In Sydney, where an estimated 2.2 million observed the darkout last year, officials said it appeared at least as popular this time, involving untold candlelight dinners and beach-bonfire parties. The city’s two architectural icons, the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, faded to black against a dramatic backdrop of a lightning storm.

Earth Hour observed worldwide to highlight waste of electricity, threat of climate change

To really make an impact, they should turn the lights off - then keep it off! Do you realize how much energy is used just to switch things ‘on?’ :smiley:

And what is does to the power grid. First with the excess surge when everyone turns their light off at the same time. Then the power dip when everyone turns them back on. :shrug::cool:

I don’t care much for this pagan “green” religion so I will turn all the lights on in the house. I will pray but with light. I will pray that God will show how wrong this new religion is.

CDL

Well, I can turn off my lights, but I shall then have to watch the second half of the Xavier basketball game (against that west coast team) in the dark. :wink:

And for our next trick, we’ll all go to a tall building, go into the restrooms and flush all the toilets at once.:wink:

:rotfl:

Please, please, please tell me you won’t be anywhere near my office. (Or my basketball game . . . ) :smiley:

Make it a high rise apartment building. There has to be someone taking a shower when you do that :eek::cool::rolleyes:

Be thankful you don’t live near my daughter. She raises habenro peppers. She denies it, but I know she carries a couple in her purse to rub on the toilet paper in public restrooms.:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m a big AGW skeptic and didn’t much care for the carbon theme woven into this. But I AM a big proponent of eliminating energy waste. IMO, this event didn’t go anywhere near far enough.

Those cities should have simply turned off the streetlights. Actually, they should simply remove the stupid things from most residential neighborhoods and drastically lower the wattage in commercial and industrial areas. Scientific study on the subject shows the stupid things do more harm than good. They only reason they continue to get built is public sentiment (people don’t like the dark). People think they enhance safety and reduce crime, but they usually make both situations worse. The alternating pattern of glare/dark, glare/dark makes MORE shadows and hiding places for criminals than a consistent low glow from surrounding buildings would. The same issue makes it HARDER to see pedestrians and bicyclists (thus reducing safety).

If you live in a lit community, you paid about $1,000 more for your house because of it. Those useless lights are also most of the reason that suburbanites like myself can’t see more than a hundred or so stars on a clear night.

Google International Dark Sky Association get get enlightened. (no pun intended)

We didn’t participate. I just can’t get past the fact that this “green” movement has become a religion. I’m a good steward of my resources; I don’t have to prove it by bowing to a false god. Even the use of the word green makes me shudder–it’s just a catch phrase for those who don’t really want to do anything positive for the environment, they just want to act like they care.

This just gets me riled up! :o

I just learned about this last night…
We had gone out to dinner as a family, sitting at a DARK table with candlelight only (my boys had way too much fun blowing the candles out every 2 minutes! :rolleyes:)…

The wait staff was annoyed… the patrons were annoyed… and when the lights came back on the entire restaurant erupted in CHEERS!

So much for making a “statement”… :rolleyes:
It did nothing more than to serve as an annoyance.:shrug:

it would make much more of an impact to unplug electronic devices which use as much juice off as on in many cases, appliance, and A/C and to park the car. If all these people sitting in dark houses also turn of the A/C I will be impressed with their sincerity. if they also take positive steps to significantly reduce their direct and remote reliance on electricity and fossil fuels I will become a convert.

if i participated then stumbled over something in the dark can i sue al gore?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.