Earth-Shaking Questions (?)

Please take a moment to think about the answers to the following earth-shaking questions:

*What is the purpose of life?

Can true happiness be attained without knowledge of life’s purpose?

Does real happiness and /or purpose lie in mere eating and drinking, sex and procreation; a few enjoyable moments, followed by sudden death?

Isn’t it absolutely illogical for God, who is infinitely wise, to create us without a purpose?*

c’mon lets hear it. :smiley:

[/INDENT]

I absolutely agree. Are you a fan of Socrates and Aristotle?

hey you have to answer each one of those. :smiley:

What is the purpose of life?

To be holy and get to heaven.

Perhaps an artificial happiness based on material and selfish desires, but TRUE happiness, no. Happiness of knowing one will hopefully go to Heaven and be with Christ can only be obtained through trying to be holy and live according to Christ’s commands.

Does real happiness and /or purpose lie in mere eating and drinking, sex and procreation; a few enjoyable moments, followed by sudden death?

See the above comments. Of course it does not lie in these things.

Isn’t it absolutely illogical for God, who is infinitely wise, to create us without a purpose?

He DID create us with a purpose!!! To be with Him and to love Him.

This really isn’t that difficult. :rolleyes:

~Liza

I saw the subject and thought we were going to talk about volcanoes and earthquakes.

This is the geology forum, right?

:stuck_out_tongue:

***To love God and neighbor.

Can true happiness be attained without knowledge of life’s purpose?*
***No.

Does real happiness and /or purpose lie in mere eating and drinking, sex and procreation; a few enjoyable moments, followed by sudden death?*
***No.

Isn’t it absolutely illogical for God, who is infinitely wise, to create us without a purpose?*
Our ways are not God’s ways.

The Purpose of life is to Know, Love, and Serve God…common on, that’s standard Baltimore Cathecism stuff.

Answers 2 and 3 are correct

1. Yes, it would be illogical for God to create us without a purpose…>God created everyone with a purpose.

Ok heres my own answers:

Sex and knowledge. Everything is about sex. An entire book in the bible is about sex (or romance between a man & a woman). Even islam promotes a lot of sex in heaven. Sex is our base animal instinct. We all want to look good, even dress sexy in time for Mass.

And Knowledge, this is what makes us humans unique. Its our purpose to collect knowledge in order to improve life.

Of course. Think about children. They are the happiest people on earth and yet they dont burden themselves with such ‘earth-shaking’ questions.

Thats what my life is right now and I’m really happy. So my answer is gonna be a YES!

Isn’t it absolutely illogical for God, who is infinitely wise, to create us without a purpose?

Yes its illogical. We all have a purpose, but the knowledge of that purpose is not necessary to be truly happy.

Interesting questions…and I’m not really sure there are answers for them…at least not answers all of us could accept or maybe even understand.

To me life is a mystery and it’s purpose is found in the small things…a bowl of chocolate ice cream, a good steak and a good glass of wine with my friends sitting around talking about the “meaning of life”, a good jazz album or enjoying the songs of the Celtic Woman tour. A rainy day when the clouds part and golden sunlight filters through the window of my living room as I read a good book. The touch of my beloved on my shoulder as they pass through the room doing mundane things.

The purpose of life becomes clearer when death is faced, when I have sat by the bedside of a loved one and held their hand as life faded from their eyes I sensed the “purpose of life”…it was preparing for this moment, to realize how fragile life truly is and how small and insignificant we are in the scheme of things…to “feel” this “Mystery” in our grief and happiness and pain and joy gives me a glimpse of what the “purpose” of life is…the purpose of life is living and being grateful for each small joy and sorrow.

To me, starvation and hate and war rob us of finding the “purpose” in all of this…I am brought again and again to the “Silence” and in the “Silence” I begin to glimpse my purpose…but it is only a shadow…a ‘feeling’…a kind word, a soft touch, a warm chuckle…the purpose of life is found in those things…for in those small insignificant things of the daily of life, God is experienced and known…

This life is the purpose of life…not the 'here after"…that will take care of itself…this life now that we experience IS what it’s all about…and can we make the small world we live in a better place? In Christian thought the very idea that “the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us…” gives us meaning…we simply get bogged down in all the other stuff that really means so little when we’re holding the hand of a loved one as they draw their last breath.

We don’t have to know the purpose of life to be happy, but we must be involved in life to be happy and find peace…we must come to grips that we’ll never “know” it all…and trust in the One who does…

I’m not overly concerned by ritual or dogma or belief as one can have all of these things “identified”…but if we make other’s lives miserable becasue of them…we’ve lost the “purpose” of them anyway.

I don’t have the answers…but I believe “Life does” and this “Mystery that is God” is present in everything we do…God is present even in our ignorance…probably especially so.

Whatever one decides it is.

What is true happiness? How do you distinguish it from ‘fake’ happiness, whatever that may be, or mere contentment?

This is subjective, obviously, given my answer to #1 :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t say so. I don’t see a problem with a hypothetical infinitely wise Being creating something which is supposed to create its own purpose.

i suppose it means being constantly joyful and appreciative of life, and being able to sleep at night. what do you think?

I’m not “Midrath”, but you may have a good point. I was once told happiness is “elusive” as the word shares it’s root in words like “hapenstance” or “haphazard”. We should be looking at embracing “joy”…even in dark times “joy” is a quality of being grateful we are alive…“joy” isn’t determined by circumstance like happiness is…it’s a quality of life all by itself…joy can even embrace sorrow…I’m not sure about that…I’ve had some pretty sorrowful times in my life that I couldn’t characterize myself as “joyful”…but “joy comes in the morning.”

But I can look at myself in the mirror each night before I go to bed and look at myself every morning when I awaken…I sleep pretty good!:slight_smile:

Agnotheist
Sex…yes sex is the motivation behind a lot of behavior male and female but as far as getting all dressed up for mass…have you been to my parish?

We do collect knowledge but I think it is for the same reason that trout swim up stream rather than for the purpose of improving our lives. If you think about it …it may also be because of sex.:wink:

No

Probably, but I honestly don’t know

[/quote]

Yes, therefore there must be a purpose we just have no clue what it is…

I have to say I really can’t nail it down. What you describe sounds more like contentment or satisfaction, or a sense of rightness – ‘all’s well with the world’. Is that true happiness? What about religious ecstasy, orgasm, the adrenaline flood of a rollercoaster ride, the rush of a needleful of heroin hitting the nervous system?

I like your definition a great deal, but I’m not sure I can agree with it.

And using that definition, I think it would be perfectly possible to achieve ‘true happiness’ without knowledge of the purpose of life – perhaps even easier. Intelligence and knowledge do not in and of themselves grant happiness of any sort.

I completely agree! :thumbsup:

When my father died 2 years ago, i mourned for like a month. After that I appreciated the experience of being sorrowful. Yes my father died, but I have wonderful 4 yr old daughter. Its just the wheel of life.

But it depends too. I can not imagine how a jew in the holocaust would have found happiness.

To submit to God. God Almighty has informed us of this purpose, that it is to submit to Him. This life is a test–it tests our belief in God, love and gratitude for God, and our patience. Sometimes we are rewarded for it–in this life, and in the next life. Sometimes we are punished–in this life, and in the next.

What is true happiness anyway? This question seems to assume that the responder did not have an answer to the first one.

Happiness and knowledge of purpose aren’t the same thing. There must be a purpose in life. Even a pen has a purpose. And when it runs out of ink it becomes useless. If you say we have no purpose in life you’re saying that a pen you can hold in your hands has more purpose than you. Of course we have purpose in life. More than just attaining happiness–as the questions seem to imply.

God did create us with a purpose. In fact, God answers this question for you: “I have only created Jinns and men, that they may submit to Me.” :thumbsup:

I will answer feeling the way I do at the moment.

Dont care.

Either way doesnt work of me, dont care.

They dont make me happy, dont care.

I think that makes the alternative that he created us with a purpose, but wont tell us what that is. Which would be cruel.

Or He has created us without a purpose, but allows us to think that we have a purpose. Again cruel.

I think that perhaps He has created us with a purpose and he wants us to find out and understand what that purpose is, but sometimes we are too thick headed to see the signs of our purpose (collectivly and individually).

But at the moment, I really dont care.

In order askes

I ono

yes

no

no

anymore questions just ask:P

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.