Earth

I struggle with Christian theology, and the lack of value Christians in general place on ecology-- treasuring Earth as God’s gift to us. What is the Catholic teaching on this? Is there an extensive scriptural basis can one use for justifying ecologically-based values?

To me, Mary, God’s creation, is tied into this-- but this this is my own theological speculation.

From the Catholic Catechism -

373 In God’s plan man and woman have the vocation of “subduing” the earth248 as stewards of God. This sovereignty is not to be an arbitrary and destructive domination. God calls man and woman, made in the image of the Creator “who loves everything that exists”,249 to share in his providence toward other creatures; hence their responsibility for the world God has entrusted to them.

248 Gen 1:28.
249 Wis 11:24.

“The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to till it and keep it.” [Gen. 2:15.]

So God put us here to be the steward or guardian of His World, which he created from nothing; everything in it. But we ate the fruit of the forbidden tree and were expelled from Eden for it. This is the original sin; that we disobeyed God when he said; No! :tsktsk:

We betrayed God’s trust in this and we suffered the consequences. But God is ever loving and he sent his only Son to us to redeem us.

The instructions of Our Lord and Master still hold good and we are to steward the earth and all its resources for God created it and we his creatures are not to ruin or destroy it since this would be to insult God. :bowdown2:

I wish the meaning of these scriptures was more widely preached in ALL churches. So many place too much emphasis on the literal interpretation, and not enough on the meanings of the story. Thank you. :blessyou:

[quote=Jerusha]I struggle with Christian theology, and the lack of value Christians in general place on ecology-- treasuring Earth as God’s gift to us. What is the Catholic teaching on this? Is there an extensive scriptural basis can one use for justifying ecologically-based values?
[/quote]

The short answer is: We are to be good and responsible stewards of God’s creation; for us to use; not abuse… The true question is the “reasonableness” in which we conduct our stewardship.

[quote=Jerusha]To me, Mary, God’s creation, is tied into this-- but this this is my own theological speculation.
[/quote]

Like Mary we are all tied to creation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.