Earthly kingdoms

In Luke 4:5-7
Then he took him up and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a single instant. The devil said to him, “I shall give to you all this power and their glory; for it has been handed over to me, and I may give it to whomever I wish. All this will be yours, if you worship me.”

Although the Matthew and Mark accounts do not contain the words “for it has been handed over to me, and I may give it to whomever I wish”, the Jehovah’s witness’ interpret this to mean Satan is in control of all the world governments and have been since the time of Christ. What is a response to this interpretation?

Satan is the father of lies, why would anyone believe anything that spews forth from his vile mouth?

Considering the corruption we see nowadays in the secular countries, from allowing same-sex marriages, the public nudity in the streets, and the excess of freedom, somehow I would agree with them.

We’re all born nude.

Didn’t you know this?

That was my first thought as well (and I guess its the best answer), but I went back to Genesis thinking he promised Eve that that eating the fruit would make them as God, but the promise was that their eyes would be opened if they ate the fruit. I was looking for a proof text that illustrated a promise/lie.

Well, thats another topic for sure but this suggests that Satan had this control since the time of Christ which would tie into the belief that all governments are controlled by Satan, so no saluting of the flag, no voting, etc, etc.

(Ezekiel 16:8):
"'Later I passed by, and when I looked at you and saw that you were old enough for love, I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your nakedness. I gave you my solemn oath and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Sovereign LORD, and you became mine.".

(Isaiah 58:7):
Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?”

(Matthew 25:36):
I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’”

(Revelation 3:18):
I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.”.

(John 12:31):
Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.