Easing Concerns of My Family

–I’m not exactly sure where to place this thread, so I put it here since it somewhat concerns possible “evangelization” into the RCC (EDIT: perhaps the forum Family Life would have been a better choice)—

I am very interested in making a serious, in-depth study of the Catholic faith.
If the RCC is what it claims to be, I cannot afford to spend my life away from it. So I would like to begin attending Mass, get to know the faithful in my community, and would love to spend sometime talking with a priest.

My parents would most likely be supportive. But I have a grandmother and other relatives who would be upset. This morning after I told my grandmother I enjoyed last night’s Easter Vigil, she looked as if she had been stricken with a heart attack. And mockingly asked if I was going to turn into a Catholic.

While she would not get angry with me for my study (or possible conversion), I know she would despair for my soul. Seeing that she is going through kemotherapy, I try to keep as much stress as possible from her and would like to prevent her from carringing an unnecessary burden for my salvation. But I will not wait for this considering it importance.

How can I go about my search with distressing her and angering my other anti-catholic relatives. What can I say to ease their concerns (EDIT: and those of my pastor)?

Welcome Home! The Holy Spirit is calling you into the Catholic Church. The decision to enter the Church is yours to make. You can refrain from speaking about it too much to your Grandmother if it would cause her distress, especially at this time. As you learn more about the Church, you will become more familiar and comfortable with Her customs and teachings and be able to explain away a lot of the misinformation to her and your family. Be patient, these things take time and hopefully, this time next year you will be received into the Church with your family present and cheering you on.

Thank You. :slight_smile:

My granny and I are extremely close, and she lives next door. She will notice and bring it up. I hope she’ll take her time before she does, but if she gets the sense that I am trying to aviod it I am sure she’ll begin the inevitable conversation sooner rather than later.

If the RCC is what it claims to be, I cannot afford to spend my life away from it

No kidding… :thumbsup:

If I were in your situation, I would sit down whoever was really concerned about it and answer any questions/concerns they had about the church (after I was somewhat knowledgeable about it of course.)

Until you think you can do that, I would just say that you feel this is something you need to explore. If you feel like it is Christ Himself asking calling you to the Church, then say so.

Why is your grandma (and possibly others) concerned for your salvation? If you know why, you could give them a quick heads up that yes, Catholics worship Jesus :rolleyes: and do not worship Mary or the saints, and that they don’t believe in “works” for salvation or something like that. (although the view of salvation is different. I found a blog post that contrasts catholic and protestant views of salvation, but I don’t know if I’m allowed to post the link. I can send you a message, or you can just look at the other apologetics things on this website)

I’m so sorry about your grandma and I realize you don’t want to upset her. You should probably address her concerns about your salvation so that she is less stressed out. Good luck!

Pray for courage, strength and wisdom from the Lord.

It is inevitable that when someone makes a decision for Jesus Christ he/she is going to stir up the minds of many people with opposing beliefs. Remember, Jesus said “You will be hated because of me.”

Trust Him, He will give you peace.

It’s all about prayer. I’m always writing to pray the rosary. Ask the Blessed Mother to intercede for you by specific requests pertaining to your family. If you haven’t been fully introduced to praying the rosary I would get a rosary and some books about the devotion. Remember too, the rosary is scripture. Other than the mass it is the most powerful prayer.
I would ask for the right timing to speak with your family or better yet let it go to God and ask for the grace when and if He wants you to speak with them. God will give you what you need in His timing, that way it is not forced and unnatural or upsetting and your familly members will be open to what God has to give them. Action speaks louder than words so I would start with showing rather than focusing on how to explain everything. Be gentle and most importantly prayerful.

God Bless You on your exciting journey! :slight_smile:

Grandmother and others consider Catholics to be outside orthodox Christianity, that the vast majority of them will go to Hell. My Uncle believes that the Pope is the Antichrist. Thus they would fear for my soul.

I agree with you and the others in that the best approach is through patience, direct communication, and prayer.

BendedKnee,

I’m willing to wager you know which issues exactly upset her the most. So, perhaps if you share them with us, maybe we can help you find the resources you need to explain things to her. God bless you, and welcome home! :thumbsup:

I think she doesn’t hold a specific qualm against the Church, but instead has the general anti-catholic sentiment of many Protestants. I know she thinks catholics worships the saints and could provide a response to that, but I can just see her:

:rolleyes:
“Sure!..Is that what they told ye?”

:tsktsk: to herself
“How dare those Catholics try to indoctrinate my baby?!”

I’ll try to ask her about her disagreement with the Church.

It really boils down to there being 2 types of people in the world. Those that *have *knowledge of the Catholic Church, and those that *think *they have knowledge of the Catholic Church.

My grandfather was a Presbyterian minister, and lets just say he was not happy when he learned I was joining the Catholic Church. I never threw it in their face so to speak, but I never shyed away from explaining things, or correcting misconceptions. Just remember to do it with kindness and charity.

I was able to get a short talk in with her while she took her dogs out. She was reminiscing on how she had successfully evangelized a Jehovah Witness and I slipped something in about the Vigil. She proceeded to tell that had fought for the conversion of some Catholics as well.

Her main concerns seem to be “general” misconceptions. Praying to the saints and “regulated fasts” (before Mass and during Lent?) she claimed were in violation of Scripture. She also showed disdain to the “dead ritualism” of the Church. I was going to try to get more from her but her dog pounced on me and she soon went to take a nap.

I wish I could have talked to her more, but I probably won’t bring it up for a few days because I could see in her face that she is not exactly happy that I keep talking the Vigil.

I’ve got a couple of things to toss in here because my mother and brother are very anti-Catholic.

First of all, there are some folks who (and no offense here) require their family’s approval on all aspects of their lives. We all know people who are like this, I’m sure. I personally have never felt that way, so how my mother and brother felt about my becoming Catholic never mattered to me. Just something to consider, that you have your own life to live regardless of other people’s opinions.

Something else I’d like to toss out is the old saying “Living well is the best revenge”. Now in this context the word “revenge” is too strong and inaccurate, so I’d like to modify the saying to “Living happily is the best testimony”. If you continue to live life as a Catholic with complete joy and faith and totally unconcerned with other’s opinions, then you will set an important example to everyone around you. And no one will fail to notice the look of love in your eyes and the smile on your face.

I would echo this from my own experience. When I entered the Church many of my dearest relatives believed I had abandoned Christianity for “traditions of men” and the “Whore of Babylon.” Thirty years later those same relatives have come to understand that my “personal relationship with the Lord Jesus” didn’t end when I became a Catholic - because they have seen the ongoing witness of my life.

Be honest with your grandma. Tell her that you are studying, that you won’t make any decisions unless you are convinced that the teachings of the Church are completely consistent with Scripture (you can skip over the fact that the Church, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, decided what books the Bible would contain . . . ) Ask her to pray for you, for the Lord to guide you in Truth and His will (I’m sure she already prays for you, but how can she resist this request?)

Meanwhile, you do your part. Explore, study, ask questions. Dig especially hard in any areas that seem suspicious to those you love, so you’ll be able to explain the answers if anyone asks you. And pray for her - as I’m sure you do - thanking God for the blessing of a family of faith, and asking Him to bless her - and to show her His truth.

And don’t feel like you have to rush or push. God knows your heart - and the Church isn’t going anywhere. :smiley:

=BendedKnee;6486327]–I’m not exactly sure where to place this thread, so I put it here since it somewhat concerns possible “evangelization” into the RCC (EDIT: perhaps the forum Family Life would have been a better choice)—

I am very interested in making a serious, in-depth study of the Catholic faith.
If the RCC is what it claims to be, I cannot afford to spend my life away from it. So I would like to begin attending Mass, get to know the faithful in my community, and would love to spend sometime talking with a priest.

My parents would most likely be supportive. But I have a grandmother and other relatives who would be upset. This morning after I told my grandmother I enjoyed last night’s Easter Vigil, she looked as if she had been stricken with a heart attack. And mockingly asked if I was going to turn into a Catholic.

While she would not get angry with me for my study (or possible conversion), I know she would despair for my soul. Seeing that she is going through kemotherapy, I try to keep as much stress as possible from her and would like to prevent her from carringing an unnecessary burden for my salvation. But I will not wait for this considering it importance.

How can I go about my search with distressing her and angering my other anti-catholic relatives. What can I say to ease their concerns (EDIT: and those of my pastor)?

QUOTES FROM THE KING JAMES BIBLE:

**Mt. 16:15 **He [JESUS] saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am ?And Simon Peter answered and said , Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou , Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven"

Eph. 2-19-23 “Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;[SINGULAR] And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple [SINGULAR] in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.”

**John 10: 15-16 **“As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have , which are not of this fold: them also I must bring , and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold,

NOTE: When all of these were written and included into the Canoon of the Bible THE ONLY CHRISTIAN CHURCH IN EXISTENCE WAS TODAY"S RCC. :thumbsup:

Love and prayers,

I’m going through a similar situation with my family…I’ll keep you in my prayers :slight_smile:

Visited 1st Mass this evening! Beautiful.

I received some odd looks from my parents when I asked to go, but they allowed it.

The mother of a schoolmate and wife of the deacon invited me to next week’s Mass and to her home for that night.

And you are in mine. :gopray:

I’m new to this forum and in a similar situation as both of you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.