Easter as a Baptist

I was speaking to a Baptist and asked how they celebrated Easter in their church.

He responded that they do not do anything.

Since it is a Sunday, they will have their regular Sunday service and that the pastor may choose to preach about the resurrection, since it is “resurrection Sunday”, but not necessarily.

Is it normal for Baptists to not do anything special for Easter? or is ti just this church in particular?

I attend a Baptist Church, but I am considering becoming Catholic in the future, but anyways… I attend the Baptist Church for now because those are the main churches that are around here. At the church I attend, the only thing we do is talk about Easter, but we do not do anything “special” with it. It is like a “normal day” at our church.

In our city, some Baptist and other evangelical groups may have Easter Egg hunts for the kids, but other than that it seems to be “Another Pleasant Valley Sunday” as the MONKEES used to sing about.:shrug:

Sounds about right, many may choose to alter their normal schedule and also hold a communion service on Resurrection Sunday

Sunrise services and flower crosses are not unknown around here.

GKC

Thank you all for your replies.

I guess my ignorance shines through. I thought that he was joking or that it was his particular church but not many churches who did this.

Easter and holy week are so central to my catholic life I never even fathomed that other religions would not fuss about it.

Now I feel it is a privilege to participate in the Triduum.:slight_smile:

I have attended Baptist churches in the past, was raised Anglican, was Plymouth Brethren for quite a while and am now Presbyterian (in a word, I’m totally confused and obviously looking into Catholicism which is why I’m posting and perusing this site). Anyway, the more evangelical congregations seem to have a horror of liturgy and therefore Easter will be celebrated in a big way at home via the secular easter basket, chocolate eggs, new toys for the kids, big meal, etc, but at church it is celebrated with a mention, possibly the sermon on the resurrection, and that it all.

The more formal congregations, Anglican in particular, are more liturgical and will celebrate it with more focus as a special day.

I wouldn’t say it gets “a mention.” On Easter Sunday at my church its all we talk and sing about and is the running theme. We don’t do liturgy though.

It comes from a Holiness tradition that with calenders and sprint and drift church activities. leads to things like excesses on Mardi Gras with the thought that its is okay I can then go a confess it in the morning verses a constant state of holiness.

Some time back, newspapers [even the NYT] would list the local churches and their special services for Holy Week/ Easter. As I recall, Baptist churches would advertise Easter celebrations such as special choirs/ music, extra services, etc.

Many Non-Catholic Christians believe that we are “recrucifying” Christ. It is an objection against our Mass and our Crucifix also.

I’ve never quite understood it. The very idea of a resurrection is so amazing that any person would want to celebrate the miracle. Some Lutheran parishes include asperges at Easter services and incense. The white vestments and flowers, the Alleluia are glorious expressions of our joy.

As with anything, one thing can be taken out of context and abused. I do not believe that the CC teaches that one SHOULD binge on Mardi Gras with the intention of confessing the next day.

I do believe that the lenten period has to do with Christ going to the desert for 40 days of prayer and fasting in preparation for his ministry. In the same way we are called to fasting and prayer in preparation for Easter.

It seems to me that you are saying that a constant state of holiness does not require periods of fasting and prayer and alms giving.

OH BOY! I am afraid to ask why.

Not that they teach it but that is how people see it. Lets blow out now before we have to be good. Thus fasting and prayer is not set to a schedule but just happens when called upon to do it.

We are believed to be killing Christ again. :frowning:

I lump this in with the charges:
We are cannibals. (We “eat the Body and Blood of Christ”.
We are baby killers. (In the Early Church the women would go out and collect the bodies of babies killed by THEIR MOTHERS to provide them with a proper burial.)

I blame it on what they are taught in their Church, both the lies and the belief that they should not question the lies.

“There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”
― Fulton J. Sheen

Baptists have great spirited church services but individual expression is the emphasis.

#1 Your logic is faulty. Because sinners attempt to twist things around to suit their purpose does not allow you state that this error is what the stated rule implies. That is the equivalent of sayingI know that the speed limit is reduced ahead so let me exceed the speed limit now If we follow your logic then the fact that speed limits are reduced in school zones (for example) promotes people to speed elsewhere, particularly before the school zone. It does not make any sense.

#2 If by “people” you mean non-Catholics or non practicing Catholics who do not understand teachings, then your point is moot. Certainly, my kids at catholic school are not encouraged to “eat as many pancakes as possible” nor do they. I do not make a particularly big dinner on that day, nor does my family, nor does my husband’s family. However, On Ash Wednesday, I particularly make a sparse dinner devoid of meat.

1. It is human nature to perform better when held accountable. That is why weight watchers works, that is why people get personal trainers, that is why people take courses etc.

2. Even Catholics are called to prayer and fasting and alms giving at other time not on a set schedule. IMHO - Lent is a minimum standard

Peace

Okay, honestly, people have gone overboard with Mardi Gras/Maudy Tuesday/Fat Tuesday/etc. But, we have to remember, the requirements for Lent used to be much, much stricter. Today, in the US, we are asked to fast on Ash Wednesday & Good Friday and abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent. The requirement used to be a 40 day fast (except for Sundays), plus abstinence from meat on all Fridays of the year + all Lenten Saturdays. In addition, during the Middle Ages, the restrictions on what kinds of food people could eat for their meals during Lent were quite high. Fat Tuesday came about because the people were very restricted about what they could eat during Lent - and, since their was no refrigeration, the food would have spoiled by Easter. So, they had two choices - either throw the food out or eat it all. Unfortunately, people in some areas took it to excess and made it an excuse to throw a huge party.

Regardless, though - the reason why we celebrate the entire Triduum in the Catholic Church is to remind ourselves that Jesus died for our sins (the sins of all Christians and all of humanity) and to remind ourselves that every time we sin, we do crucify Jesus all over again. But, Jesus destroyed death by dying on the cross, and restored eternal life for us all by rising from the dead. Without the crucifixion, the resurrection would not have happened. Without the resurrection, the crucifixion would have been meaningless. Both needed to happen for Jesus’s mission to be complete.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.