Easter Communion? Not Catholic Yet

Will be turning Catholic (although I have to wait until next year January before I can start the RCIA).
However I have been attending Mass.
Easter is coming up.

1. Because I am not properly initiated into the church (yet… :)), I cannot partake in communion correct, even for something such as Easter? I should cross my arms and only receive a blessing?

2. And a secondary question. Once I am a full Catholic, but committed a mortal sin on the morning/night before of Easter, then should communion still be accepted on Easter even if the person did not have the time to have his sins absolved through confession prior to communion?

Thanks!

1. Correct. You should not receive Communion yet.
  2. No, you should not. Anyone who is not in a state of grace (i.e., has unconfessed mortal sin on their soul) should not receive the Eucharist. So if you are Catholic, and commit a mortal sin, even on the way to Easter Mass, and are not able to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) before Mass (which may be offered at some parishes), you should not receive the Eucharist. Even for Easter.

However, it would be acceptable, and even encouraged, to make a spiritual Communion in both instances:

My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

Also, in the second case, it would be preferable to get to Confession as soon as possible, and to receive the Eucharist at least once (in a state of grace) during the Easter season (from Easter Sunday to Pentecost Sunday).

This will probably also be covered in your RCIA instruction once you are able to begin. :thumbsup:

Are you perhaps confused by what some Catholics refer to as “Easter duty”?

We have an obligation to receive the Eucharist at least during the Easter season-- which goes from Easter through Pentecost.

So, you do not have to receive communion on Easter if something prevents you.

And correct, you should not receive the Eucharist until you are received into the Church.

Regarding “going up for a blessing”-- although people do it, and will tell you to do it, it is not part of the rubrics of the Mass and it should not be done. See here.

Unless, of course, the OP lives in England and Wales, where it is officially encouraged.

Um, no, not even there.

Standard practice here in England for those of us in RCIA, so I don’t really understand why that’s the case here if it’s not correct. Both my priest and the catechists have urged us to go up for a blessing at Mass.

I’m a little confused now. I’ve been going to Mass (I’m in a Jesuit College) and the minister knows I am not yet a full Catholic. He doesn’t seems to have any problems giving me a blessing?
I’ve also talked to him one on one and he hasn’t said anything.
During orientation for college, they said to the congregation (anyone non-Catholic or not in a state of grace) to cross their arms for a blessing instead.

So according to what you’re saying, should I just sit where I am (letting everyone pass by me of course) and not receive either?
I certainly do not want to trespass on any of the traditions and customs of the Catholic Church. :eek:

Would this be a mortal/venial sin that should be confessed once I become Catholic?

I’ve read the link posted above about receiving blessings and most of it appears to be referring to blessings being given by Ministers of the Eucharist. I avoid that by always making sure I am in the priest’s “line” when I go up for a blessing.

I’m a little confused. I thought Ministers of the Eucharist are any ordained priests? I thought there is only one “line” (the communion line)???

Not if you have 5 or 6 lay people assisting in the distribution of Communion, there are two lines in my church, one on either side of the aisle.

Excuse me, I should perhaps have said Eucharistic Ministers. Anyway, I meant the lay members of the congregation who assist the priest in giving out the bread and wine.

Okay. So should I go to the priests line to receive blessing or have a spiritual communion in the pew?

And the reason I was confused was because I’ve only been to small Masses so far, so there has only been a need for one line.

ORDINARY Eucharistic Ministers, or simply Eucharistic Ministers as the word ordinary is often omitted: Bishops, Priests, and Deacons

EXTRAordinary Ministers: Lay persons, serving under the direction of the priest, that have received proper training and a mandate issued by the ORDINAY (read Bishop) of the dioces
((From the link above: i.e., duly instituted acolytes or even other faithful who have been deputed for this purpose. In case of necessity, the priest may also depute suitable faithful for this single occasion (GIRM 162)." So if there were a really dire need the Priest could potientially appoint someone they knew had the proper understanding of the role if there were no Ordinary or Extra Ordinary ministers; however, this should not be the norm.))

Should you receive communion at Easter when not being Catholic yet? No it would be 100 per cent wrong to do that.
To receive communion you must be in a state of Grace and have celebrated your first communion or been initiated into the church (RCIA and confirmation).
Do you know that Communion represents unity and loyalty to the Papacy aswell as being the body and blood of Christ?
So even if you are in a state of grace you would’ve been prohibited from receiving due to the fact that you haven’t yet commited yourself to the church and the pope.
Therefor you’re excluded from that unity for now.

Anyways, if you’re baptized I’ll strongly recommend that you go to confession before Easter.
The consequences of living in mortal sin is quite terrifying so do yourself a favour and get yourself into a state of Grace.
Most parishes allows baptized persons go to confession even though they aren’t yet catholic. Even though it varies from parish to parish, some do not allow confession before initiation at all. If you’re not allowed to confess I’ll strongly recommend that you spend some time in the adoration chapel before Easter.

Also if you like to receive a blessing during mass, please go for it really.
If the priest bless you it means he is ok with it:)
Everywhere I’ve been to mass people are getting blessed during communion so I see now harm…

Good luck on your journey into Catholisism and may Jesus and Mary guide you on your path.

Pax Christi

• MarianCatholic

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.