Easter Conspiracy: What the Church is NOT telling you about Easter & Passover

Easter Conspiracy: What the Church is NOT telling you about Easter & Passover

youtube.com/watch?v=-S_m9so55FA

Have you ever thought about where the word “Easter” comes from?

The Britannica Encyclopedia (1934) states:

“EASTER (es’ter). Ostara, or Eastre, was the goddess of Spring in the religion of the ancient Angles and Saxons. Every April a festival was celebrated in her honor. With the beginnings of Christianity, the old gods were put aside. From then on the festival was celebrated in honor of the resurrection of Christ, but was still known as Easter after the old goddess.”

Dictionary.com tells us:

dictionary.reference.com/features/easter.html

“Rabbits were part of pre-Christian fertility lore and symbolized the abundance of new life associated with Spring. The ancient German goddess Ostara (called Eostre in Anglo-Saxon) was accompanied by a hare, which may have been the precursor of the modern Easter Bunny.”

Christiananswers.net explains:

christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t020.html

“Basically, almost every vile, profane and idolatrous practice you can think of originated at Babel with Queen Semiramis, the Mother Goddess and Nimrod. As the people scattered from Babel with their different languages, they, of course, used different names for Nimrod (Tammuz) and Semiramis. Some called the Mother Goddess “ISHTAR” (originally pronounced “Easter”). In other lands, she was called Eostre, Astarte, Ostera, and Eastre. Other names for Semiramis, the Mother Goddess include: Wife of Baal, Ashtaroth or Ashtoreth, and Queen of Heaven. The Mother goddess was frequently worshipped as the goddess of fertility - and as a sort of Mother Nature and goddess of Spring and sexual love and birth. She was also worshipped as a mediator between god and man. Sexual orgies and temple prostitutes were often used in her worship and in attempting to gain her favor.”

So why do you celebrate a holiday named for a pagan fertility goddess that used eggs and bunny rabbits as fertility symbols before Jesus even came?

You do realize that “Easter” was celebrated before Jesus, right?

Why do you not celebrate the holiday that prophesied the death of the Messiah, that actually occurred during the time when the Messiah died and rose again, and that the Messiah actually instructed us to “do this in remembrance of me”?

Why do you not celebrate the holiday that Jesus himself celebrated, and that Jesus will celebrate once again when He returns to this earth? (See Ezekiel 45-46)

If you do not know about Passover and what the Bible has to say about it, then you REALLY need to see this shocking YouTube film:

(Second link removed.)

More silliness.

Such things only work in English. Most other languages use a form of the word pasch or paschal.

The “research” behind these videos is laughable at best.

In addition, the links are blatantly anti-Catholic.

I wonder if the producer, whose production company has the same name as the poster here, got permission to use and broadcast the theme to “Schindler’s List” in this video.

I hate to burst your bubble (well, not really…) but “Easter” is not even the official Church designation of the day or season. Arguments claiming error or conspiracy based on English words are so parochial it’s not even funny, and the people making the arguments tend to be without a clue as to the magnitude of their fundamental error.

I would like to re-emphasize that this “new user” has a user name that is the same name as the production company identified in the video. What relationship, if any, should have been disclosed in the OP. As such, it just looks like some lone-gunman trying to bolster his/her silly position with a sock-puppet identity.

It is safe to completely dismiss everything in the OP as being devoid of credible information.

And for the record, the Church calls solemnity of the Resurrection of Christ “Pasch”. Easter is a name it has only in English.

:yawn: Ho-hum…same thing, every year around this time and Christmas just like clock-work.

OK, I’ll play along…

:bigyikes: ** OMG!! I have NEVER heard these things before. Why has nobody ever posted these things in these forums before?? Since this person saying so must make it so and I should believe them before I believe the Church or even reliable secular historians, I am immediately withdrawing my name from the membership roll at St. Miscellaneous and looking for a church that is truer to the Bible because it was started last week in someone’s garage!!! Goodbye Catholic Church!!!**

There. Feel better? Now to get the real scoop, go here:

catholic.com/library/anti_catholicism.asp

After you’ve got alittle more balanced information, come back and we’ll talk.:rolleyes:

Neither the Goddess Oestre nor the Easter Bunny are ever mentioned in any of the Easter liturgies of the Catholic Church.

Christiananswers.net explains:

christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t020.html

“Basically, almost every vile, profane and idolatrous practice you can think of originated at Babel with Queen Semiramis, the Mother Goddess and Nimrod. As the people scattered from Babel with their different languages, they, of course, used different names for Nimrod (Tammuz) and Semiramis. Some called the Mother Goddess “ISHTAR” (originally pronounced “Easter”). In other lands, she was called Eostre, Astarte, Ostera, and Eastre. Other names for Semiramis, the Mother Goddess include: Wife of Baal, Ashtaroth or Ashtoreth, and Queen of Heaven. The Mother goddess was frequently worshipped as the goddess of fertility - and as a sort of Mother Nature and goddess of Spring and sexual love and birth. She was also worshipped as a mediator between god and man. Sexual orgies and temple prostitutes were often used in her worship and in attempting to gain her favor.”

And if I ever hear of such goings on at Mass, I might start to worry. Until then, it’s all good. :slight_smile:

You do realize that “Easter” was celebrated before Jesus, right?

They were celebrating Christ’s Resurrection before He came along? :confused:

Why do you not celebrate the holiday that prophesied the death of the Messiah, that actually occurred during the time when the Messiah died and rose again, and that the Messiah actually instructed us to “do this in remembrance of me”?

Because it no longer exists - Christ has fulfilled the prophesies that it contained. There is no need to keep prophesying, once the prophecy is fulfilled, is there? :shrug:

As mentioned already, Easter is only the name in English for the Holy Day. In Latin it is pascha, in Greek it is pascha. Pascha comes from the word for passover. So, yes we do celebrate the passover but it is the new passover in which Christ saved us from our sins. In addition, the last supper is celebrated every Sunday and every time the Eucharistic liturgy is celebrated.

Why do you not celebrate the holiday that Jesus himself celebrated, and that Jesus will celebrate once again when He returns to this earth? (See Ezekiel 45-46)

We do celebrate the Passover meal. We call it the EUCHARIST, and it is celebrated every day year round. I can see no good reason for you to quote (Ezek 45-46) because Jesus will NOT reinstitute Old Covenant animal sacrife when He returns. The Eucharist is the eternal sacrife of the New Covenant.

Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup is the **new covenant **in my blood, which will be shed for you. (Luke 22:19-20)

For if that first covenant had been faultless, no place would have been sought for a second one. But he finds fault with them and says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will conclude a **new covenant **with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers the day I took them by the hand to lead them forth from the land of Egypt; for they did not stand by my covenant and I ignored them, says the Lord. But this is the covenant I will establish with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my laws in their minds and I will write them upon their hearts. I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall not teach, each one his fellow citizen and kinsman, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know me, from least to greatest. For I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sins no more.” When he speaks of a “new” covenant, he declares the first one obsolete. And what has become obsolete and has grown old is close to disappearing. (Heb 8:7-13)

Peace,

Ryan :slight_smile:

There is no conspiracy. I knew all about the history of Easter, the pagan element et.al. when I was ten years old. It is well known, well studied and well understood by all reasonably well educated Christians: Catholic and Protestant alike.

Nonsense like this is just more proof of how much Satan hates Easter.

The origin of this “Semiramis” rubbish is an eccentric 19th century author named Alexander Hislop who assumed all pagans everywhere worshipped the same god and goddess. He therefore assumed that various female pagan deities were “all Semiramis” and various pagan male deities were “all Nimrod.” It’s just uneducated ravings with no basis in history. Semiramis wasn’t Astarte or Ishtar. Nimrod wasn’t Jupiter or Thor. That’s just cultural illiteracy gone wild.

Easter is a celebration of the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Happy Easter!

**It’s not happy-making to see that the very people who criticise Catholicism for “Judaising” by offering the Mass include many who look forward to the restoration of the pre-Christian sacrifices. :frowning: They do the very thing of which they unjustly accuse us. **

**Ezekiel’s vision in 40 to 48 is fulfilled in Christ, Who is better than ten thousand Temples - He is the Temple of God, so there is no Temple in the New Jerusalem but Him; no other is needed. So there is nothing whatever for the OT sacrifices to do, no need for them, & no place for them. If words mean anything, Dispensationalism is out-and-out heretical :frowning: **

The idea that the Jerusalem Temple should be or could be restored is part & parcel of Dispensationalism, with its fantasies of a restored Jewish Kingdom & a restored Aaronite priesthood & sacrifices. These things have been done away in Christ, so it it would be superstition for Christians to set them up again. To compare the priesthood of Aaron with the Eternal Priesthood of Christ is to compare the shadow with the reality, water with wine, & types with their Fulfilment.

Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup is the **new covenant **in my blood, which will be shed for you. (Luke 22:19-20)

For if that first covenant had been faultless, no place would have been sought for a second one. But he finds fault with them and says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will conclude a **new covenant **with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers the day I took them by the hand to lead them forth from the land of Egypt; for they did not stand by my covenant and I ignored them, says the Lord. But this is the covenant I will establish with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my laws in their minds and I will write them upon their hearts. I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall not teach, each one his fellow citizen and kinsman, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know me, from least to greatest. For I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sins no more.” When he speaks of a “new” covenant, he declares the first one obsolete. And what has become obsolete and has grown old is close to disappearing. (Heb 8:7-13)

Peace,

Ryan :slight_smile:

Yea but why let a few facts get in the way of a good anti-Catholic rant? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yours in Christ
Joe

[quote="MandM]Easter Conspiracy: What the Church is NOT telling you about Easter & Passover
[/quote]

:ouch: :yawn: :sleep:

Not to mention, the later popularization of Hislop’s nonsnese, by the :rolleyes: Ever Popular And Extremely http://bestsmileys.com/silly/8.gif Lorraine Boettner.

Here is some good reading:
catholic.com/thisrock/2005/0505fea4.asp

catholic.com/library/the_anti_catholic_bible.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/2005/0505fea4sb.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/2005/0505fea4sb.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0003chap.asp

(Not one of which quotes :whacky: St Wombat the Extremely Scratchy. I must be getting:crying: old…very, very http://bestsmileys.com/sad/9.gif old…)

Eostre wasn’t an AS name for a goddess, just a word meaning east, spring or daybreak. Semiramis wasn’t a goddess at all, may never have existed and certainly didn’t live at the same time as Nimrod. For fun, I’ll throw in the pronunciation: Suh-MEER-uh-miss. Not SemuhRAhmiss or SemuhRAMiss. It’s a modern Romantic version of the name Shammur-Ammat, a legendary queen. There were goddesses named Astarte, Ashtaroth, Asherah and Inanna but they were Sumerian and Canaanite and from that region. They belonged to mythic systems and worldviews very different from the Anglo-Saxons, who didn’t exist as a people until centuries after Easter began to be celebrated.

The Church took over all the Pagan temples and feast days, and trumped them with Christian celebrations. Or, at least, that was the plan. It didn’t always have the full effect, because in many places, we see the Pagan practices intermixed with Catholicism created some sort of non-orthodox hybrid. But the goal was to usurp the Pagan holidays, and draw the minds and hearts of people to Christ, and away from the origins of the festivals.

Jesus celebrated Passover, yes, but He also started a “New Covenant in My Blood”. This new covenant is what we celebrate at Mass. The words He pronounced at the Passover meal are repeated every Mass.

Do you celebrate the Hebrew Passover?

**Boettner quotes some of Hislop’s ideas about Purgatory; & the mention of wax candles as a Bad Thing may well derive from Hislop too - but apart from those items, Boettner seems not to use him. **

**One author who does draw on Hislop a lot is Jack Chick - several of his tracts rely heavily on Hislop, though in much simplified form. **

**Hislop’s thesis was not unusual by the standards of the time; nor, apparently, were his standards of proof. The logic is dodgy, to say the least, but apart from that, it’s quite an impressive piece of amateur scholarship: provided that it’s not judged by the standards of later & professional scholarship. Objectively, & taking that later scholarship into account, it is hopelessly inaccurate & misleading in many ways - but that was as much the author’s misfortune as anything else. **

ISTM that the book is best forgotten - it:
[LIST]
*]deceives those who know no better
*]is very badly out-of-date
*]**gives a completely false impression of what the religion of Ancient Iraq was like **[/LIST]**Protestants (& others) who rely upon it do themselves no favours whatever **

The English word “easter” is from the Old Teutonic German for “resurrection”. Funnily enough there are many words which share the same root (“rise”) and the same is seen in every language. The very word “east” is derived from the direction from which the sun "rises"
Study etymology, you’ll discover what nonsense the “Easter is pagan” theory is.

John

:yawn: Same ol’ boring anti-catholic dribble. So, ridiculous and ignorant and yet always seems to surface time and again. Gee, if I were an anti-Catholic, I think that I would try to get new material every so often. Oh well… Night all and God bless.

OP answered. Thread closed.
MF

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.