Easter is ishtar

Do you know that the name Easter actually comes from the word ishtar, the mesopotamian goddess of fertility?

That’s OK, because I don’t celebrate Easter, I celebrate Pascha, which is on a different date entirely. :slight_smile:

I agree

I know she’s probably the source for the Greek god Venus, but I’ve never heard a connection made between her and Easter. Either way, even if it did have the same word origin Easter clearly has nothing to do with her, no matter how someone tries to twist it.

And we sing,

Jesus Christ is risen today.
Alleluia
Our triumphant holy day.
Alleluia
Who did once upon the cross
Alleluia
Suffer to redeem our loss
Alleluia

No mention of a pagan goddess. So, what is the point?

Originally Posted by Byzantine_Wolf
That’s OK, because I don’t celebrate Easter, I celebrate Pascha, which is on a different date entirely.

Sure would be nice if we all got on the same page with this calendar thing. :slight_smile:

Jon

Interesting. But my research shows that the word comes from Estre, a Teutonic goddess of the rising light of day and spring.

Did you know that the name of the holiday we call Easter is also known as the Feast of the Resurrection or Pascha resurrectionis (in Latin, the official language of the Church).?

It is only in English that the word Easter is used to denote this feast.

But I don’t understand what this has to do with the “Non-Catholic Religions” forum. :confused:

Thanks once again for your continuing sanity,Jon.:thumbsup:

Hello Algebra - nice to see you back on CAF -

If I remember you, you were a Jew, converted to islam and now you are Christian… Do I remember you correctly?.. :shrug:

I don’t know about your post information, so I’ll just be 10/10 on the side and read on… :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a bunch of hooey. It has not roots in Mesopotamia- next thing will hear is how Catholicism is related to Babylonian religion! :eek:

I’m afraid you’ve been deceived by people claiming to be holy and wise, but who really are just ignorant bigots with a hateful passion against the church.

There is no scholarly connection between “Ishtar” and easter. None. The word easter comes from the early english word for Spring, Estre. There is some speculation that the origin of this word, Estre, is from the germanic pagan goddess Eostre… HOWEVER, it must be noted that Eostre’s first mention in historical documentation is a theorizing piece by an author named Bede in the 8th century… hundreds of years after traditional german pagan worship had already collapsed. It is most likely, then, that even the name Eostre does not and never did apply to a pagan goddess either.

Thanks. I’d just like to know the reason for such a thread. It makes no sense to me. But I’m willing to hear algebra out, for some reason I haven’t figured out yet. :whacky: :smiley:

Jon

Jesus Christ rose from the dead on the feast of firstfruits, which always falls on a Sunday.

Please give us in detail the basis on this “fact”. Footnotes and citations are requred. Links are optional but preferred. And of course, your own credentials would help immensely if you don’t have the above requirements.

The burden of proof, my friend, is on you.

Thanks and God Bless,
Snert

No, Catholicism is related to Egyptian religion. Catholics worship the sun-god in the Eucharist, and the IHS really stands for Isis, Horus, and Seb, the Egyptian Trinity.

…I’ve been spending too much time on CARM :rolleyes:

just to clarify, that was a joke, right?

My religion does say Catholic right? :thumbsup: :smiley:

Definitely a joke. His religion says “Catholic,” his quote is practically something I’ve read out of a Chick tract, and then he said “I’ve been spending too much time on CARM.”

Just making sure to clarify. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made what I thought was a rather obvious joke on protestant forums and had the tigers leap all over it like it was a pile of fresh meat to abuse catholics with.

haha, yeah I read it in a Chick tract. Over on CARM, they use those things like if they’re Scripture!

Hey hey hey! Jack Chick is a SAINT!..

…in some weird religion out there that I’m sure exists.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.