Easter Liturgy, New York City?

My dh and I will be in New York on Easter Sunday, and, as he rarely has the opportunity to attend Divine Liturgy down where we live, would very much like to attend a Byzantine (Ruthenian) Divine Liturgy on Easter.

Are there any of you who have suggestions? He has called the Manhattan parish he planned to attend to ask about the Easter schedule and was “greeted” by a less than welcoming person who barely answered his question before hanging up. Hardly conducive to visiting!

Any suggestions will be most welcome. Thank you.

I don’t know what parish you are attending but, depending upon which calendar they are on, they may celebrate Pascha (Easter) on a different date than the Latin Church.

Thanks; they celebrate on April 8, the date we will be in New York.

Well, there is St. Michael’s Russian Catholic, located on Mulberry Street. Their Paschal services start at 11:30 PM on April 8th, and continue on into the Liturgy proper at midnight, until the end of service.

There is St. George Ukrainian Catholic, located on East 7th Street. I’m not sure what their schedule is; you’d have to contact them.

I don’t know if there are any others.

Thanks, Tim. We had been looking exclusively at Ruthenian churches, but may expand the list. Good starting points!

There’s also St Mary’s Ruthenian Church at 246 E. 15th St.(corner of 2nd Ave). It’s walking distance to St George’s Ukrainian.

If you want to go to a Byzantine (Ruthenian or other) Rite Pascha look for an evening that follows the services described here. If you’re not prepared to be there from about 10:30PM until about 2AM, plus an hour or more to feast, then you could look for Holy Saturday Divine Liturgy of St. Basil perhaps late morning, or early afternoon.

i like this city and i wanna go there

Tuesday, March 27, 2012
DixieEagle,
I attend St. Nicholas of Myra Byzantine Catholic Church (Ruthenian) in White Plains, New York. Location: corner of North Street and Ridgeway. Sunday liturgy at 11 AM, weekday liturgy at 10 AM.
Peter D. Aglione
Petradom737@aol.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.