Easter Sunday Dinner

Would you all be so kind and share what are you preparing for Easter Sunday meal for your family & friends?

Thanks!

Edit to add:

Can you also share your family/heritage traditions for Easter Sunday as well… and any special breads/meals/desserts you all make…

Thanks again!

I’d be interested in hearing ideas too!

Easter is typically celebrated at our house (only holiday all year - Christmas we go to the grandparents for lunch/dinner)… so it’s a big event. We have lots of family in town, but now that the “kids” are growing up and having kids of their own I’m not sure how many will actually come over.

In the past I’ve cooked a Pork Tenderloin, Roasted Potatoes, veggies, fruit, bread… but I’m open to changing things up a bit this year (so I’m scouting for ideas here too…)

We don’t have any “traditional” recipes - I don’t follow recipes anyway… I just “wing it” when it comes to cooking (always have)… it’s always an adventure at my house, LOL! :smiley:

We have a Parish Easter Meal.

After the Easter Vigil, in our small town, there is a limited number of places to eat. A few years ago, the RCIA team decided to feed the family on that night.

So, all those who come into the Church that evening, their families and friends (we ask for a headcount for their table(s) ahead of time), as well as all those who attend the Vigil are invited for a buffet in the Parish Hall.

We have brisket and all the trimmings.

By the time the hall is cleaned, it is in the wee small hours of the morning. We go home worn out with our bellies and hearts full. It is a wonderful Easter tradition.

In my house we always had Ham, with pineapple raisin sauce, Hot cross buns (minus the raisins) a vegetable, and potatoes, and pies.

I am not sure what I will make this year. Since we can’t make it home for Easter this year. Maybe baked sweet potatoes, turkey or chicken, with a vegi, and a homemade bread/bun and pie.

We go to my dad and step-mom’s house for Easter. She has about 30+ people there, and she has tons of food!! Turkey, sausage & sauerkraut, mashed potatoes & gravy, two veggies at least, mostacholi with sauce, salads, then her sister brings Middle Eastern food made by her boyfriend. Then there is the parade of about six or more desserts. It’s just out of hand, but with so many people you need a lot of food!! It’s always a nice day for everyone to get together and catch up on what’s being going on over the winter, and plans for the summer. It’s a very loud house on Easter, that’s for sure! LOL

Now my husband and I have our own tradition for Holy Thursday late afternoon (we eat early enough so we can receive Holy Communion that evening). We have friends over and make roasted lamb shanks with minted yogurt, hummus, pita bread, and other similar trimmings. It has been our tradition since dating to have lamb on Holy Thursday, either at home or out somewhere. Not sure if I’m cooking this year again or if we are going out, we have not decided yet.

I really want to try my hand at hot cross buns this year.

~Liza

We go out to a beautiful restaurant on the water. They have a gorgeous Easter brunch, with crab legs, prime rib, and desserts galore. It is such a fun time.

Before I tell y’all mine, I have to add a disclaimer: We’re cajun.

Easter Saturday we have a big crawfish boil with my mom’s side of the family. We also have fried catfish and boudain balls. If you leave hungry, it’s your own fault :slight_smile:

On my dad’s side of the family on Easter Sunday we used to roast a pig – yes, a pig out in the backyard on a spit. We haven’t done that in years because the families that did it have all gotten much older and are no longer able to do it. I miss those days!!!

Well, we start off on Good Friday by making the dessert for Easter dinner at my MIL’s house… my two nieces and I decorate a two-layer cake to look like an Easter basket and put all kinds of jelly beans and chocolate eggs on the top.

The reason we do this on Good Friday is because I work on Saturday and my DH, DS and I always attend the vigil Mass in my families’ home town (100 miles away) where my son is altar server. So on Holy Saturday, after Mass, we started this tradition last year where, at my mom’s house, we grill steaks and have a family dinner with my family (my dad passed away just before Easter last year, so this was a way to give each other support during a sad time and we decided to do it again this year.)

Then we come home Sunday morning and have Easter dinner with DH’s family… usually roast pork, homemade dressing and applesauce, and all the trimmings… plus the Easter basket cakes for dessert. When the kids were younger, we’d hide eggs for them to hunt, but with the youngest just turned 10, we don’t do it as much unless we have younger children from extended family or friends over.

Being single, I haven’t definitely developed any traditions yet, but here, it’s traditional to do either roast leg of lamb (with rosemary and garlic, num num) or more locally, dried, salted ribs of mutton, desalted by a day submerged in water, then steamed and served with mashed swedes and boiled potatoes.

I am thinking of trying roast beef this year - I really want to try to make it, but haven’t really had an excuse. I figure the leftovers would be more versatile than with leg of lamb.

Emily thank you, it all sounds yummy & wonderful.

Have a great Easter

Best regards
Pam

Wonderful post, thanks for sharing your tradition! The dinner sounds great and delish!

Happy Easter to you and yours,

Best regards
Pam

Thank you also for your post. I remember years ago my mom also had the ham. It was my brothers job to decorate it with the pinapple slices and cloves.

Have a great Easter to you and yours…

Best regards
Pam

Sounds great Liza ~ wishing you the best with your baking of the hot cross buns. I also enjoyed reading your post regarding the dishes which were served.

Happy Easter to you and your family

Best regards
Pam

I love Easter brunches, especially with the items you mentioned.

Thank you for your post and Happy Easter

Best regards
Pam

Wow… cajun type Easter feast!!! Awesome!! :thumbsup:

I can just picture your family roasting the pig on the spit. Many years ago when my family was big and we would roast the lamb on a spit as well as a pig. Oh how I miss those days.

Like your family, everyone in my family is much older now and the majority of them have passed. And the older ones can’t drive and live far away from me.

Happy Easter

Best regards
Pam

Wonderful tradition! Thanks for sharing…

Happy Easter & Best Regards
Pam

Thank you for your post KitSileya…

I like your menu and also the idea of the roast beef for this year! I wish you success with your Easter dinner. Happy Easter to you!

Best regards
Pam

Thanks a bunch you guys for your posts. They all gave me warm & fuzzie feelings.

2 years ago on Thanksgiving my dad passed away, and 3 weeks ago, I lost my mom.

At her funeral at the cemeteray, I looked at her coffin and said, no more Easter dinners, no more Christmas dinners, no more Thanksgiving dinners… mommy… I have no one now.

My mom was the only person I had whom I celebrated these meals with being that so many relatives have passed or are so old they cannot attend.

I remember the Easter eggs, the Easter braided bread with the egg in it, the roasted lamb on the spit, the little pig on the spit, the many buffet dishes my mom would have out to feed 40-50 people. The roasting spit meals were my dad’s expertise…

The cakes, pies, cookies and all sort of Italian pastries… such memories!

The Easter baskets for the kids, their cute little Easter outfits, oh, the joy on their faces.

Thanks you all for your traditions. Please contine to contribute to this thread…

:heart: & Best Regards to all,
~ Pam ~

Growing up in an Italian home, we always had lamb, plus ham and some sort of pasta. Easter bread was always made in big batches. We also had pickled eggs. The aunts would bring over various side dishes and desserts. My memories are of a very large cauldron-like pot sitting on the kitchen floor containing pasta and sauce which some great aunt would be busily stirring. My grandmother used a large enamel baby bathtub from the 20’ or 30’s to make the Easter bread. We also colored eggs. My grandfather would buy a live lamb every year, bring it home to a backyard pen, and butcher it. He had chickens, too, but thank goodness he never brought a pig home for the ham:D

My mother moved to the country before I married and when her grandchildren (which included my children) started to arrive she established the tradition of an Easter hunt. She would buy small toys, candies, make colored eggs, and buy kites and hide them around the yard. The kids were given an Easter basket and they ran all over her yard finding the items. Then we would fly the kites, and then my step-father would take them all for a wagon ride behind the tractor all over their property, which includes some hilly areas, and they love going down those small hills. Now, 30-some years later, we still do this, only with her great-grandchildren–12 of them- (which includes my grandchildren) because the now grown grandchildren insisted on this for their children. She is now 83, but she still hides the candy, toys, eggs and kites, we fly the kites, and the kids still get a wagon ride behind the tractor, although my brother now drives it. And the great-grandchildren look forward to this every year. Even the toddlers love running around finding the goodies. Nobody wants to miss Easter at my mother’s.

And we still have lamb and ham and pasta for dinner… and Easter bread.

Nice post! Thank you!!!

We too always had pasta. Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, you name it. And it wasn’t only one pasta dish, there are at least 2 or 3.

I love your tradition you posted… this one also bought back so many great memories, especially when you mentioned the kites. I forgot about them!! :stuck_out_tongue:

God Bless your mom and may the Lord keep her here for many years to come.

Happy Easter & Best Regards
Pam

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.