Easter Television

I have just checked the Easter schedule and there are no films about Jesus on.
I shouldn’t be surprised really but you would think that one would be on somewhere.

Is it the same in America?

My experience is that stations like The History Channel, National Geographic etc. put anti Christian programs on that misrepresent the faith. I watched "God Vs. The Devil" on the History Channel last night, it was rather pathetic.

I haven't looked at the main channels -- there may be a concert of sacred music on one of them. On on or two cable channels there will be films like Ben Hur or maybe Shoes of the Fisherman. Usually shows/movies that are considered "Easter" on TV are cartoons about the Easter bunny or old movies with women in big hats (like Easter parade). :p

[quote="kib, post:2, topic:236420"]
My experience is that stations like The History Channel, National Geographic etc. put anti Christian programs on that misrepresent the faith. I watched "God Vs. The Devil" on the History Channel last night, it was rather pathetic.

[/quote]

What was it like? Did they make out that satan was misunderstood etc.?

[quote="Nelka, post:4, topic:236420"]
What was it like? Did they make out that satan was misunderstood etc.?

[/quote]

id like to know as well i was gonna watch it last year but fell asleep cause i was up so late watching the shroud of turin. but if its really that bad not gonna bother.

Just put in a keyword search for “Jesus” to see what would come up here …

There’s some show on MTV that comes up, not sure why though. Then theres another show that I cannot think of why is listed in this.

Then for **EWTN **it lists:

Path of the Messiah - Retracing Jesus’ footsteps in the Holy Land.

The Passion by radix - Featuring a performance of the Passion of Jesus.

The Footprints of God - Host Steve Ray talks about various sites from the life of Jesus.

On PBS:

Mysteries of Jesus Prayer - Looking at how Christianity has evolved.

On Vision:

Jesus and the Gospels: Answers to Tough Questions - Scholars discuss the beliefs held by Christians for centuries and events that may disprove them.

On Grace:

Prayer Palace - Presenting the soul saving gospel of Jesus Christ

Our local station is showing Jesus Christ Superstar (they always have since as long as I can remember.) It’s also showing Three Days - Chronicling Jesus’ crucification and ressurection.

Keyword for Easter brings up:

America’s Funniest Home Videos :rolleyes:

Beyond Today - Learning the truth about Easter (on Vision.)

Local station is showing Easter Is - An artistic boy is asked by his teacher to design an Easter poster. Also showing Easter Parade

ABC is showing Hope is Back! - An Easter themed sermon deliver by religion professor Michael Brown.

But for the most part, the only places we’ll find much of anything is EWTN. :shrug:

[quote="Nelka, post:1, topic:236420"]
I shouldn't be surprised really but you would think that one would be on somewhere.

[/quote]

Are you able to get EWTN, The Eternal World Television Network? If you can't get it on cable or satellite, try their website.

www.ewtn.com/tv/index.asp

There is a widget on the right hand side of the page where you can choose the region of the world (i.e. Europe) and watch whatever is being shown in the Eastern Time Zone of the United States (GM+5 I think) online. I believe you can find EWTN on Facebook and You Tube.

They have some beautiful shows for Holy Week.

In America Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is running on Easter Sunday “The Greatest Story ever Told” (1965) with Charlton Heston. Not sure if you get that there though.

not about Easter, but ABC usually airs THE TEN COMMANDMENTS on the Saturday before Easter.

I know the history channel has aired Jesus of Nazareth in the past...but not sure if they do that anymore.

edit: that's the American ABC channel

[quote="jediliz, post:9, topic:236420"]
not about Easter, but ABC usually airs THE TEN COMMANDMENTS on the Saturday before Easter.

I know the history channel has aired Jesus of Nazareth in the past...but not sure if they do that anymore.

edit: that's the American ABC channel

[/quote]

I don't thnk the history channel owns the rights to Jesus of Nazareth anymore. For the past 3-4 years it has been on TBN. This year they are showing The Passion of the Christ.

Every year, like clockwork, you can see The Ten Commandments ('56 version with Heston). Kind of like every Christmas you can count on It's A Wonderful Life.
It's A Wonderful Life is the most politically incorrect film (druggist slaps up a younger version of Jimmy Stewart, etc. but The Ten Commandments is just plain awful - acting wise. Heston and Baxter ham it up and overact to the point of hilarious.

Baxter - "Mooooooosesssss" (long drawn out moaning inflection).

Apologies to those, and I know there are many, who love this movie. I just can not watch it without laughing and then the boredom sets in.

Time for me to pop a GOOD movie into the DVD player.

Last Easter I was invited to dinner at the home of a dentist friend. He and his young daughter go to the same TLM chapel that I attend-we sit in the same pew.

On their TV, TCM [Turner Classic Movies] was showing a succession of 'religiously-themed' films. I got to see the last few minutes of 'Barabbas' [Anthony Quinn played the title role], then 'The Silver Chalice', which was about the Cup Our Lord used at the Last Supper. It was the debut film of Paul Newman, who played the lead role of Basil of Antioch. He was so embarassed by it that he took out a full page ad in 'Variety' magazine disavowing any responsibility! It was also the debut movie for Lorne Greene [of 'Bonanza' fame]. He was St. Peter-good choice, because he had the build and the voice for it! The film itself was a rather strange piece of work; critics said that the sets looked like something out of a high school or college play! I have the novel that it's based on-and the movie was not a bit like the book!

There were other films that were going to be shown later: 'King of Kings' [the one with Jeffrey Hunter as Jesus] and 'The Greatest Story Ever Told'. I didn't stay to watch those, though. I had seen those in past years at home.

When I had TV at home, 'The Ten Commandments' on ABC Easter Eve was a 'must-see' movie(I hate the constant commercial breaks, though). I saw it once in a local movie theater when I was a kid. Yeah, it's 'hammy' at times, especially when Anne Baxter says, 'Oh, Moses, Moses, you sweet, adorable fool, you!'-but I love it! I love the fact that the ancient Hebrews beat the pants off the Egyptians! And this was made during the time of the second Mideast war between Israel and Egypt...the 20th century version of the Egyptians failed to learn from their ancient counterparts not to mess with the children of Israel!

I think TCM has the copyright to many of these classic religious movies.

Go to THIS LINK which will take you to all the instant view movies from Amazon with the keyword “Jesus”. I’m sure you can find something here to watch during Easter Week. :wink:

~Liza

Typed in Jesus and only came up with two programs where scientists try to change what we feel about Jesus and what he was really up to.

Typed in sex and came up with pages and pages of results.

(Into a UK tv guide).

Why depend on the TV stations? Just rent a DVD that you want to see, or get it out of your local library.

[quote="Nelka, post:1, topic:236420"]
I shouldn't be surprised really but you would think that one would be on somewhere.

[/quote]

Check Turner Classic Movies:

Holy Saturday:
4:30am: The Silver Chalice (1954)

Easter Sunday:
7am: Easter Parade (1948)
9am: Barabbas (1962)
11:30am: King of Kings (1961)
2:30pm: The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
6:00pm: Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)
8:00pm: Godspell (1973)
10:00pm: The Godless Girl (1929)
12:15am: Ordet (1955)

Awesome lineup. :)

I finally bought Jesus of Nazareth on DVD on march 24th this year since I had only owned it on VHS. I watched the Last Supper parts on Thursday night and the passion parts (and the resurrection parts) between 1 PM and 3 PM yesterday. Unfortunately, as someone pointed out, there are few good programs around this time of year that don't try to debunk christianity or that don't say bad things about Jesus,

I'd just tune to EWTN or ewtn.com if you don't have EWTN available on cable.

BBC news online had an article about Jesus dying on thursday and not friday.

A couple of days later there was an Easter quiz, I answered the questions and apparently :rolleyes: I got the question wrong about what day Jesus died, they said it was now fact that Jesus died on a thursday and not friday because some scientist had said so.

What is wrong with these people?

They are thinking of the FULL three days later…they don’t understand that the Jewish sabbath began at sundown on Friday… Jesus was placed in the romb on Friday afternoon…3 PM - 6PM (or there abouts) - 1 day. 6 PM or there abouts…to the next day at 6 PM or so…2nd day…then the start of the third day…

I think that’s how they came to the concluson of Thursday.

I’m Catholic and even **I **understand how the Jewish Sabbath works.

The thing that irritates me is that scientists are trying ti disprove the Old Testament plagues and the parting of the red sea…if there truly were ~600,000 israelites (not sure of actual #)…low tide would have ended before they all crossed…

Ugh -- I just watched healthy portions of "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "Godspell" on TCM.

These are AWFUL!! Of course it can be said that these silly portrayals of our Lord are profaning the sacred, but even from a movie point of view they are simply terrible. Both were made in 1973. Back then I was only 3, but if these miserable films are representative of that time, it seems like everyone was tripping out on bad drugs that year.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.