Easter Vigil Confirmation

I am fairly certain (not 100%) that a child around the age of 10 was confirmed. I was confirmed in high school. If he did indeed get confirmed, why is this? Why doesn’t he wait til high school and only receive first communion?

I will be doing RCIA for next Easter Vigil, and my daughter, who will be 8 by then, will be doing RCIA for Children. I was told that she will do FHC and Confirmation, as children 7 or older are considered adults for purposes of Christian Initiation.

Right. RCIA, the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, generally interprets “adult” as anyone having reached the age of 7. Adults being initiated into the Catholic Church are fully initiated by the RCIA, unlike “cradle Catholics” who typically (in the Roman Rite) are baptized as infants, wait until around 7 for Communion, and are confirmed sometime between the ages of 7-18.

In the proper order of Sacraments one should be confirmed before receiving the Eucharist. About a hundred years ago Pope St Pius X made an exception for children who have been baptized and reach the age of reason [about seven]. If they do not receive then they must follow the traditional order.

Proper order for Eastern Catholics and for Roman Catholic initiated at or following approx. 7 years of age.

Pius X’s reform was about first communion, not Confirmation.

As stated earlier, the Church considers those over age 7 as of the age of reason. If baptized after the age of reason, the are to rec Confirmation and FHC at the same time. Your Parish did it the right way :thumbsup:

Under age 7 the Church considers an infant, infants are baptized then later rec’ the other Sacraments of Initiation (in the Latin Rite).

those baptized and confirmed at the Easter vigil are being received into the Church through RCIA, Rites of Christian Initiation of Adults, adults in the case of initiation sacraments being anyone over the age of reason, generally age 7. (This is also the age, incidentally, for confirmation of baptized Catholics. The local bishop or bishops conference can set the date for youth anytime after age 7 in the Latin rite). In fact, the priest who baptizes adults at this time --Easter–must confirm as well. There is a section in the rites adapted for children (the children’s catechumenate–there is no such thing as RCIC) which speaks of baptized children in the same “class” with the unbaptized, who are confirmed at the same time, but there is some disagreement, settled by the local bishop over whether this refers to Catholic children, or only to baptized non-Catholics being brought into full communion. You may take it that your parish is complying both with the RCIA, the national statues, and the particular law of the diocese.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.