Easter Vigil Readings

I read weird asking this because I just got confirmed and I am full of joy. At the same time aspects of the liturgy of the word seemed off to me. I could be completely wrong, but if that's the case my attitude is bad and I need to spend some time in prayer. Also, I want to mention that I was only bothered by this briefly. I'm asking purely out of curiosity.
So the first reading was broken up into seven parts, with singing in between. In addition, it was worded slightly different than the one in the lectionary. The second reading was read by two people, one only read a small part. The third one (from Exodus) was song and was interrupted every paragraph or so by loud clapping. This was followed by brief singing. The fourth reading was read by two people who alternated. At times they'd read in unison. In addition on the psalms for the two readings that were broken up by the singing. The psalms after the other two were different than in the lectionary.

Again I'm only asking this to confirm that I was being to picky. Please don't think I left mass angry; receiving confirmation and the Eucharist was a joy; along with the rest of the mass.

The first reading was in seven parts? You don't mean there were seven different reading with psalms sung between? And the clapping and multiple readers in one reading? That seems very odd. Now sometimes the wording will be different. I've noticed a difference between Magnificat and what is read at Mass, but its not different enough to matter, or sure shouldn't be.

I am maybe too traditional, but that sounds like a mess that would have made me a bit uncomfortable. Ok, it would have made me roll may eyes and wish they'd just do it right. Sorry that happened on the most important day of your life!

Welcome Home, by the way!

[quote="littlenothing, post:2, topic:321006"]
The first reading was in seven parts? You don't mean there were seven different reading with psalms sung between? And the clapping and multiple readers in one reading? That seems very odd. Now sometimes the wording will be different. I've noticed a difference between Magnificat and what is read at Mass, but its not different enough to matter, or sure shouldn't be.

I am maybe too traditional, but that sounds like a mess that would have made me a bit uncomfortable. Ok, it would have made me roll may eyes and wish they'd just do it right. Sorry that happened on the most important day of your life!

[/quote]

It definately wasn't seven readings with psalms in between. We only sang three responsorial psalms.On the first reading what was song did relate to the reading; It was just about day and morning passing and God seeing that it's good. But I found it distracting, and it did break the reading up. It was hard to follow. The one for the third reading did relate to Exodus, but it had no way to be connected to the actual text and the loud clapping that occured prior was jarring (in my oppinion).

It makes me feel good that you thin it was odd. I was worried I was being picky; Ifor the first time I couldn't wait for the readings to be done. Sadly, I was super excited to have a larger thant usual amount tonight :(

[quote="littlenothing, post:3, topic:321006"]
Welcome Home, by the way!

[/quote]

Thanks!! I'm glad that I've have finally been brought into full communion with the Church.

We have a very traditional priest. We had several readings with more than one reader. And there are responsorial psalms between the many readings.

The clapping? I don't remember any in ours.

The Easter Vigil Mass is uniquely different from any other Mass during the year.

Liturgy of the Word for Vigil Mass in the Holy Night of Easter
usccb.org/bible/readings/033013.cfm
[LIST]
*]7 readings from the Old Testament to summarize salvation history (although the pastor may choose to reduce it to three readings), each reading is followed by a responsorial psalm and a brief prayer by the celebrant. Customarily (in most parishes) there's a different reader for each reader.
*]1 reading from the New Testament followed by a responsorial psalm
*]Gospel
*]Homily
[/LIST]
Congratulations on being fully initiated into our Lord's holy Church!

Happy Easter!
The Lord has risen - Alleluia!

Hi.....our parish does the tradition, but in 2010 I was at a parish where my sister lives because she was coming into the church....and that parish did it more like what you described......

Welcome home.....God bless you!

The only music during the Liturgy of the Word during the Easter Vigil should be the appropriate responsorial psalms. I don't understand why the music directors at your parish would choose to break readings with random singing in between. That seems very off to me, and I don't think it's liturgically correct, especially the loud clapping during the Exodus reading. I also believe that split reading is not correct, unless it's the Passion narrative where there are parts for a narrator, voice, Christ, etc.

[quote="C794, post:1, topic:321006"]
I read weird asking this because I just got confirmed and I am full of joy. At the same time aspects of the liturgy of the word seemed off to me. I could be completely wrong, but if that's the case my attitude is bad and I need to spend some time in prayer. Also, I want to mention that I was only bothered by this briefly. I'm asking purely out of curiosity.
So the first reading was broken up into seven parts, with singing in between. In addition, it was worded slightly different than the one in the lectionary. The second reading was read by two people, one only read a small part. The third one (from Exodus) was song and was interrupted every paragraph or so by loud clapping. This was followed by brief singing. The fourth reading was read by two people who alternated. At times they'd read in unison. In addition on the psalms for the two readings that were broken up by the singing. The psalms after the other two were different than in the lectionary.

Again I'm only asking this to confirm that I was being to picky. Please don't think I left mass angry; receiving confirmation and the Eucharist was a joy; along with the rest of the mass.

[/quote]

The Easter Vigil is THE most special liturgy of the year. Everybody who possibly can wants to get in on it. I would guess that some of those oddities are because various people begged to be included.

I am assuming that the OP actually means that the first reading, the creation account from Genesis 1, was itself broken up into 7 parts, for each of the 7 days of creation, with some sort of song praising God after each day of creation. If my assumption is correct, that is definitely a liturgical abuse.

I am also fairly sure that each reading is to be read by one reader only.

[quote="aemcpa, post:10, topic:321006"]
I am assuming that the OP actually means that the first reading, the creation account from Genesis 1, was itself broken up into 7 parts, for each of the 7 days of creation, with some sort of song praising God after each day of creation. If my assumption is correct, that is definitely a liturgical abuse.

[/quote]

Yes that's what i meant about the first reading; although it should be mentioned that the song did have something to do with the passage of time. The song breaking up the Exodus reading was less realated to the actual reading. The responsorial psalms that follow these readings were ommitted.

[quote="aemcpa, post:10, topic:321006"]

[/quote]

I do not know for sure but it would surprise me greatly if more than one reader is not allowed for. We have a new priest who is a nice traditional priest who has no problem telling people what will will and will not do. I would be greatly surprised if it is not allowed and he let it pass.

[quote="MariaG, post:12, topic:321006"]
I do not know for sure but it would surprise me greatly if more than one reader is not allowed for. We have a new priest who is a nice traditional priest who has no problem telling people what will will and will not do. I would be greatly surprised if it is not allowed and he let it pass.

[/quote]

General Instruction of the Roman Missal, n. 109:
"109. ... However, it is not at all appropriate that several persons divide a single element of the celebration among themselves, e.g., that the same reading be proclaimed by two readers, one after the other, with the exception of the Passion of the Lord."

[quote="John_Lilburne, post:13, topic:321006"]
General Instruction of the Roman Missal, n. 109:
"109. ... However, it is not at all appropriate that several persons divide a single element of the celebration among themselves, e.g., that the same reading be proclaimed by two readers, one after the other, with the exception of the Passion of the Lord."

[/quote]

Surprises me.

[quote="C794, post:4, topic:321006"]
It definately wasn't seven readings with psalms in between. We only sang three responsorial psalms.On the first reading what was song did relate to the reading; It was just about day and morning passing and God seeing that it's good. But I found it distracting, and it did break the reading up. It was hard to follow. The one for the third reading did relate to Exodus, but it had no way to be connected to the actual text and the loud clapping that occured prior was jarring (in my oppinion).

[/quote]

Is it something like the Genesis reading is interspersed with a refrain like, "Lord, send out your spirit," and the Exodus reading with some song refrain about chariots or crossing the red sea?

[quote="SMHW, post:15, topic:321006"]
Is it something like the Genesis reading is interspersed with a refrain like, "Lord, send out your spirit," and the Exodus reading with some song refrain about chariots or crossing the red sea?

[/quote]

For the Genesis one it stated the day and said there was darkness and then light, and God saw that it was good. I can't remember exactly waht the Exodus one was about. It was slightly related to the theme of the reading though.

Here is the link to the USCCB for the readings for the Easter Vigil (I'm assuming you're in the USA):
usccb.org/bible/readings/033013.cfm
Hopefully this helps to see if it was done properly or not :)

The readings match, but two were broken up by singing. Also, is it allowed to omit the psalms that follow the readings and go straight into the prayer?

[quote="C794, post:18, topic:321006"]
The readings match, but two were broken up by singing. Also, is it allowed to omit the psalms that follow the readings and go straight into the prayer?

[/quote]

I don't know that it is permitted but I think what you witnessed was where a key phrase from responsorial psalm that is would normally follow the OT reading is instead interspersed into the reading.

Well for the first one the singing wasn't part of the psalm. It was morre of a stylized version of the actual text. It was sung by the whole choir while the spoken part was read by someone who was standing in the back of the room. This part also didn't match up with the lectionary; this is the only time this has happenedd. I think they used a different version to accommodate the inserted singing. Although, after looking over yesterday's psalms, I think you're mostly right about the other one. I recognize the past that mentions horses and chariots, but I don't recognize anything else. Since there was more sung than that small section, I think they added more than a part of the psalm.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.