Easter Vigil Rubrics

Hi,

Does anyone have a link to the full-text for the ceremony used at the Easter Vigil for people entering into the Church? For example, the wording used for the baptisms and confirmations.

I have a friend who is going through RCIA and he is really concerned about the actual ceremony since he heard that it is really long. I think that it would calm his fears a lot if I could find an actual copy of the mass parts for Easter Vigil.

I know that this would appear in the misslet for Easter Vigil but I can’t find one from last year and the ones at my parish don’t have Easter in them yet.

Thanks!!!

I can’t provide a link to the rubrics, but I can tell you that it is beautiful. Lots and lots of Scripture. We converted in 2004, and my daughter converted last year, and we loved our Easter Vigils.

I hope someone else can help you find what you need.

It is long, two hours or more. The beginning is wonderful. I would not explain it to your friend but just let him experience it. The RCIA director should go over the actual baptism, Confirmation and such. I usually don’t tell my people much, just an outline of what will happen and what they need to say, which really isn’t much. The team helps them get to their proper places and move them around. They kind of like the surprise. All they really know is that they are going to get wet, put on a white robe and get smeared with oil. Of course we have gone over what these things mean but I don’t rehearse them as to the actual rites.

While I usually know where to find these things, this is one I don’t have any idea how to access.

But your friend had better be prepared for a long ceremony.

SERVICE OF LIGHT
Blessing of the new fire and preparation & lighting of the new Paschal Candle.
Procession into the church
Singing of the Exsultet! (Easter Proclamation)

LITURGY OF THE WORD
Seven Readings (if they do them all) each followed by its Psalm, a moment of silence and a prayer.
Gloria
Opening Prayer
Epistle
Solemn Gospel Acclamation
Gospel
Homily

LITURGY OF BAPTISM
Litany of the Saints
Blessing of Baptismal Water
Baptism (preceded by Renunciation of Satan and Proclamation of Faith) followed by Confirmation. (That is probably one of the shorter parts of the entire celebration.)
Sprinkling of the assembly with Holy Water
General Intercessions

LITURGY OF THE EUCHARIST
Mass now proceeds as usual with the Preparation of the gifts and the Eucharistic Prayer.

This should get him started.

usccb.org/liturgy/eastervigil.shtml

and these are the readings to go with it.
usccb.org/nab/041109.shtml

Keep in mind not all the readings need to be read. I think we had 4 plus the Gospel, last year. It took about 2 hours. And it was the most beautiful Mass I have ever attended. It even moved my 12 year old son enough to say that he wants to go again this year. :thumbsup:

It is long, two hours or more.

Two hours is not very long by Eastern standards.

Two hours is not very long by Protestant standards.

In the evangelical Protestant churches that I attended most of my life, the sermons were at least 45 minutes long. The rest of the program (congregational hymns, choir numbers, solos, testimonies, announcements, praise and worship time, pastoral prayer, offering and offertory, children’s sermon, altar call, etc.–yes, all in one service) would add another 45-60 minutes. If there was a baptism or a Communion, that added even MORE time. We would go to church at 11:00 A.M., and not expect to be finished until around 12:30 or even 12:45. You can see why so many Protestant churches provide nurseries for babies and toddlers and EXPECT people to leave their babies and young children there.

Does anyone have a link to the full-text for the ceremony used at the Easter Vigil for people entering into the Church? For example, the wording used for the baptisms and confirmations.

I have a friend who is going through RCIA and he is really concerned about the actual ceremony since he heard that it is really long. I think that it would calm his fears a lot if I could find an actual copy of the mass parts for Easter Vigil.

I know that this would appear in the misslet for Easter Vigil but I can’t find one from last year and the ones at my parish don’t have Easter in them yet.

Thanks!!!

I have been at many Easter Vigil Masses that have taken three hours, but why would the length of the Mass cause your friend to be “really concerned”? :confused:

Eat a really good meal a couple hours ahead. It is long a beautiful we have a candle light ceremony and everything else. Our choir sings lots and lots. Check the magnificat site for a regular Mass of that day. You may be able to look at back issues.
usccb.org/liturgy/eastervigil.shtml
here is a site

Here is another site;
onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/Lent/prep-eastervigil.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.