Easter Vigil

Is Easter Vigil the only time of the year that those who have completed RICA are able to take Sacraments for the first time? Have to say I am hoping to hear no. LOL Just sitting here reading about the Sacraments and hard to think I will have to wait a year.

Dianna

RCIA culmonates during the easter vigil. It’s the first time they take sacraments …classes then usually go on for a few weeks to kind of recap and take in all that has happened.

After recieveing the sacraments, as long as they keep their souls in the proper disposition…they are able to recieve over and over for life.

God bless

That is nice to know that they classes continue for a bit.

[quote="TwinMommy, post:1, topic:318913"]
Is Easter Vigil the only time of the year that those who have completed RICA are able to take Sacraments for the first time? Have to say I am hoping to hear no. LOL Just sitting here reading about the Sacraments and hard to think I will have to wait a year.

Dianna

[/quote]

It's the normal time for people to be baptized.

For candidates who are already baptized there is no specified time for them to be received into the Church. Many parishes, however, use the Easter Vigil for them as well.

No, it’s not the only time. It depends on the parish. In my very large parish I was received on Christ the King (November 20, 2011). That parish “staggered” the groups coming in because the classes and parish were large. They had three groups per year enter the Church.

However, Easter Vigil is the most appropriate time to be received into the Church.

Occasionally there may be exceptions. Some years ago, one of my husband's relatives was baptized and received into the Church at a regular Sunday Mass. This man had been attending Mass every Sunday (with his Catholic wife) for about 50 years, singing in the choir for at least 20 years and helping with various parish activities. Finally, he realized that he had come to fully believe the Church's teaching, and sought to join the Church. The pastor received him after only a month of individual preparation, reasoning that a man in his 80s who had attended Mass faithfully for 50 years had basically had a 50-year catechumenate. Because of his age and his unique situation, the bishop gave permission for him to be baptized at a regular Sunday Mass, rather than delay 6+ months until Easter.

His case is certainly an exception, however. The vast majority of catechumens and candidates are received into the Church at the Easter Vigil. I know it is hard to wait for the Easter Vigil -- I decided one March to become Catholic, and I had to wait an entire year to enter the Church. It is hard to wait for the Sacraments, but you will learn so much during the wait!

[quote="TwinMommy, post:3, topic:318913"]
That is nice to know that they classes continue for a bit.

[/quote]

Not always. Depends on the parish and program. After the Easter Vigil, ours drop-kicked us to the curb. ;)

Don't get too impatient. Catholicism is about preparing for eternity and eternity is a long time.

I was recieved into the church at mass on Christmas Morning 2004! I was in a small parish and was the only one taking RCIA lessons, most of which the priest and I did over the phone because of the long distances in our area. I am 12 from my church, he is 30 miles from the church (he has 3 parishes).

The priest of each parish determines when you are ready to recieve the sacraments.

I just learned from reading The Little Black Book for Lent 2013 that RCIA was reinstituted after Vatican II. Prior to that most people received private instructions and entered the Church when the parish priest felt they were ready. The Easter Vigil being the time for baptisms has not been done for centuries, though after the Council I guess it became popular to do it then. I think most new Catholics like their RCIA time, but I wish it wasn't done during the Vigil, myself. I think it takes the focus off of the Resurrection a bit. But I realize my opinion wasn't requested here and is pretty unpopular.

The short answer is no. However, it really depends upon the diocese and possibly the parish. Our diocese brings everyone, catechumens (unbaptized) and candidates (baptized) alike into the Church only at the Easter Vigil. While it is technically not required for someone already baptized to go through RCIA, I would strongly recommend doing so. The fellowship we have had these past few months has been truly priceless. Watching the others blossom in their faith and witnessing their spiritual growth, as well as my own, has been such a blessing. We are now mere days away from the EV and I am having mixed feelings. On one hand I am so happy it is culminating in our ability to receive the Sacrament of Communion, but on the other hand I will miss our group and the fellowship we have. Our catechists have been great and I'll miss their kind instruction and helpfulness.

And that's my :twocents: :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.