Eastern Cardinals in the forthcoming conclave?

With the shock news of the resignation of our Holy Father, which hierarchs of the Eastern Churches will be eligible to vote for his successor?

Cardinal Antonios Naguib

Cardinal George Alencherry

Cardinal Baselios Cleemis

Cardinal Bechara Boutros al-Rahi

Off the top of my head, I think it would be:

the Maronite Patriarch, Bechara Rai
the now-retired Coptic Patriarch, Antonious Naguib
the Syro-Malankara Catholicos, Baselios Cleemis, and
the Syro-Malabar Major-Archbishop, Geroge Allencerry.

I might be missing someone, but I can’t think of any others under the canonical age of 80 (which I think is silly in the first place but never mind that). In any case, even with one or two more, there aren’t enough to make a difference.

The 5th eligible Eastern hierarch is Cardinal Husar of the Ukrainians if the conclave is held today or any day earlier than 28 February 2013.

Unfortunately, His Beatitude will turn 80 on 26 February 2013, 2 days short of the retirement date of Pope Benedict XVI on 28 Febraury 2013.

Every member of the College of Cardinals, voting or non-voting, has a chance to be elected the next Pope.

Actually, every male Catholic, including laymen, is eligible to become the next pope. The odds of it not being a cardinal, of course, are exceedingly low today, but it happened quite a bit in the past. That said, no actual layman has ever become pope.

I was just pointing out that the Eastern members of the College of Cardinals have an equal chance to be elected as those of the Latin cardinals.

In other words, the members of the College are a part of the “universe” of papabiles.

However, I slightly disagree that every male Catholic, including laymen, is eligible for election as the next Pope. Based on the provisions of UDG and the Codes of Canon, a papabile should at least be a Deacon, over 18 years of age and unmarried.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.