Eastern Catholic prayer books/horologions

I’m interested in the thread title. I already know about the Melkite Horologion and the Publican Prayerbook, but I want to know if there’s any other good ones, particularly Ruthenian since they are most prominent in my area. (I live near Pittsburgh, enough said. :stuck_out_tongue: )

If you’re interested in Ruthenian prayer books I’d recommend “Let Us Pray to the Lord” vols. 1 and 2 available from ecpubs.com. Volume 2 is primarily liturgical stuff - e.g. DLs of Chrysostom and Basil as well as Presanctified. Volume 1 has morning and evening prayers, as well as Matins/Orthros and Vespers among a good deal of other stuff. They are excellent little prayer books (although my preference is still the Publican’s Prayer Book). :thumbsup:

You might also try Sts. Cyril and Methodius Seminary’s bookstore. I believe they sell some sort of prayer book as well, although I’ve never looked at it.

You may also be interested in The Byzantine Book of Prayer published by the Byzantine Seminary Press, in P’Burgh.

In Christ,
Jeff

The Italo Greeks have a small prayer book for publicans.

The Metropolitan Cantor Institute has the approved instructions for readers services, and has the various hours books (unadapted). (it also has the experimental adaptations for deaconal forms.)

The combination allows use of the current issued rubrics & texts for the hours.

There are two rather excellent (because user-friendly) horologia online. One is the “Dynamic Horologion” and the other is the “Orthodox Liturgical Resources” by Fr. John Whiteford. Both are Orthodox, but there is nothing in them that is counter to the Catholic faith.

Fr. Whiteford’s site represents ongoing training in how to properly pray the Byzantine Horologion as a layperson.

Alex

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.