Eastern catholic saints and devotions

I’ve been attending a ruthenian church and I’m trying to learn more about the spirituality and culture! I’ve been praying the Jesus prayer a lot. But I’m curious on big eastern saints and maybe some devotions outside the Jesus prayer.

Akathist hymn. As with Saints, it depends on which Eastern Catholic. Maronites, for instance tend to have a very large Devotion to St. Charbel. I’ve noticed, that Melkites seem to love the Eastern Church fathers , I can’t say as though I blame them.

1 Like

Since you’re attending a Ruthenian parish, some modern saints and blesseds to be on the lookout for are guys like Theodore Rhomzha, Met. Andrew Sheptytsky (even though he’s Ukrainian), and Bishop Basil Hopko. St. Theophan the Recluse and St. Seraphim of Sarov also have a rather strong following. Otherwise, go back to the early Eastern Fathers of the Church, especially the “Three Holy Hierarchs” Basil of Cesaerea, John Chrysostom, and Gregory of Nyssa (or is it Nazianzus?).

One devotion observed in the Maronite Church is the devotion of the 22nd, in which the 22nd of every month (such as today) is dedicated to Saint Charbel. Maronites who observe the devotion make pilgrimages to St. Charbel’s shrines or even his tomb if they live in Lebanon and may listen to videos or podcasts of the saint’s life and miracles, as well as light candles.

3 Likes

The most emphasized saints in the Ruthenian Divine Liturgy are celebrated on Solemn or Simple days. The Theotokos, the Holy Apostles, St. John the Baptist the Forerunner, St. Basil the Great, St. Gregory the Theologian, St. John Chrysostom, Archangel Michael and All Angels, St. Nicholas of Myra, St. Georga, Elijah the Great Prophet, St. Stephen the Protomartyr, Joseph the Betrothed, King David, James the Brother of God.

A great spiritual father! Just finished reading a collection of some of his homilies on spiritual zeal.

ZP

‘A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.’ - St Basil the Great

1 Like

I was introduced to him in Prayer: An Orthodox Anthology, and then proceeded to read his Spiritual Life and How to be Attuned to It and The Path to Salvation. Everything I’ve read by him has been phenomenal.

1 Like

I like that wisdom and had never heard it. The prayer I like to use is this Prayer of Our Holy Father Basil the Great

Lord my God, I thank you; for you have not rejected me, a sinner, but have made me worthy to be a partaker of your holy mysteries. I thank you for allowing me, unworthy as I am, to be a partaker of your most pure and heavenly gifts. O Lord who love us all, you died and rose for our sake; and you have given us these awesome and life-creating mysteries for the benefit and sanctification of our souls and bodies. Grant that they may bring about the healing of my soul and body; the defeat of every enemy; the enlightenment of the eyes of my heart; the calming of my thoughts and emotions; a faith that cannot be confounded; a love that does not pretend; a wisdom that overflows; the full observance of your commandments; the increase of your divine grace; and citizenship in your kingdom. Being preserved in your holiness by them, I will remember your love at all times. I will live no longer for myself, but for you, my Lord and Benefactor. Thus, having spent my earthly life in the hope of life without end, I will attain eternal rest where the sound of rejoicing never ceases, where the delight of those who gaze upon the beauty of your face cannot be expressed. For you, Christ our God, are our true desire, and the inexpressible joy of those who love you; and all creation glorifies you forever. Amen.

2 Likes

I would think both Gregory Of Nysa and Gregory Nazianzen would have a big place. Gregory Nazianzen is referred to as Gregory the theologian so maybe that is what you are thinking of.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.