Eastern Catholicism: Divine Election

What do Eastern Catholics believe about Divine Election and Predestination? Is it the Orthodox view, or maybe some fusion of the Orthodox view and what is found in the Catechism? I can’t find anything on the Internet except for Roman Catholic or Orthodox views.

Generally the Orthodox view - Byzantines usually the Eastern Orthodox view, and others the Oriental Orthodox view, and the Chaldeans the Assyrian view - of course there are exceptions, more common in the West, of Easterners following the Latin view… This question is better asked in the Eastern Catholic section.

I don’t believe anything in the Catholicism contradicts the Orthodox view.

I posted this question last night in the EC forum, and did not get a response. But you responded within a couple of hours. Thank you!

Would you say then that what makes the Eastern Catholics Catholic is that they are in full communion with Rome, but other than that, they are completely Orthodox (especially concerning Divine Election and predestination)?

What exactly do you believe contradicts between the Latin Tradition and the Byzantine or Syriac Tradition on these two?

Ideally, nothing in Eastern Catholicism is different from its sister Orthodox/Assyrian Church, except being in Communion with Rome. In practice, this may or may not be the case depending on many factors.

“What exactly do you believe contradicts between the Latin Tradition and the Byzantine or Syriac Tradition on these two?”

I’m asking a simple question because of my lack of knowledge on the subject. I don’t believe I have said anything about contradicting beliefs. I know we cannot show emotions when typing, so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for answering my question.

No offense meant to be given on my part, nor did I perceive it on yours. The reason I ask is this, you wrote “concerning Divine Election and predestination” as if it is different between Catholicism and the two Orthodox Communions.

What is your take on the Catholic - I take it the Latin Catholic - view on Divine Election and predestination?

Oh good, no hard feelings then.

Well, I used to be an Arminian Protestant, and shortly after becoming Roman Catholic, I changed to being a Thomist. But now I am not so sure what I believe. While I see God’s grace at the very beginning of any “system,” free will needs to be reckoned. So, given that the Western Church is most definitely Thomist-oriented (read 600 in the CCC), I wonder how the Eastern Catholic Churches reconcile this with their traditionally Orthodox free will approach to Divine Election. From what you’ve said though, it sounds as if there is no need to reconcile these two different approaches to Divine Election, and that as long as the Eastern Churches maintain that we are elected because of God’s gift of grace, everything is fine.

If you are interested in the Byzantine Catholic/Eastern Orthodox view on this, I’d recommend:

store.godwithusbooks.org/catechism-of-the-eastern-church/

A brief summary of the EO/BC view here:
saintephraim.com/catechism.html

The Traditional Syriac/Malankara Orthodox and Syriac/Malankara/Maronite Catholic view can be found here:

syrianorthodoxchurch.org/store/books/the-shorter-catechism-of-the-syrian-orthodox-church-of-antioch/

A brief overview here:
stmaryscathedral.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=66&f6033fa2e0dc389cd22214523083efcf=e38dd2adfca5b5231f6af431c68490bf

It is just not something that the Eastern fathers focused on as much as the Western fathers. St. John Damascene did write something about it, certainly not at the same length or depth that Augustine did, but nothing that really contradictory either.

orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/predestination.aspx

The pillar of any teaching on predestination is that all good things come from God. You can see this sentiment put beautifully by St. Paul in 1 Corinthians. For who distinguisheth thee? Or what hast thou that thou hast not received? And if thou hast received, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it? (1 Cor. 4:7). But by the grace of God, I am what I am; and his grace in me hath not been void, but I have laboured more abundantly than all they: yet not I, but the grace of God with me (1 Cor. 15:10).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.