Eastern Chalices

Can a priest use an Eastern chalice to celebrate the Mass?

[quote="CatholicLife, post:1, topic:302011"]
Can a priest use an Eastern chalice to celebrate the Mass?

[/quote]

I don't see why not.

One thing to note though, in Eastern practice only ordained men handle the Sacred Vessels. In the RC Church you have the altar servers preparing the chalice at the altar for the priest. Big no-no. At no time during or outside of Liturgy must a layperson touch it.

This is of course if the chalice will be given back to the EC for use again. We can always consecrate it again, I guess (as with the case of vessels that need professional repolishing).

While we see altar servers handling the sacred vessels in the OF, I think the priest is the only one who handles them in the EF. Of course, I don't know if that would make a difference as to the style of chalices. I've seen tulip shaped chalices in both the EF and Divine Liturgy, so...

[quote="Esrb99, post:4, topic:302011"]
While we see altar servers handling the sacred vessels in the OF, I think the priest is the only one who handles them in the EF. Of course, I don't know if that would make a difference as to the style of chalices. I've seen tulip shaped chalices in both the EF and Divine Liturgy, so...

[/quote]

In the EF the servers still take the vessels to and from the altar before and after Mass. In the Byzantine Rite, at no point should a layperson touch the sacred vessels. After Liturgy, it is still the deacon or priest who would cleanup the vessels.

I’ve never seen this and I’d be interested to know if it’s an abuse. What I have seen is an MC during High Mass setting up the corporal during the Credo, which necessitates handling the sacred chalice. Usually the MC will be a seminarian with some kind of minor order and instituted in some kind of office which allows him to touch the sacred vessel.

In the Byzantine Rite, at no point should a layperson touch the sacred vessels. After Liturgy, it is still the deacon or priest who would cleanup the vessels.

Same as in the Roman Rite. Lay people shouldn’t touch the sacred vessels. Ever. Even seminaries/monasteries most sacristans who are not in major orders will use a glove of some kind to handle something sacred (tabernacle key, chalice, monstrance, etc).

At our TLM parish, we treat the chalice in a similar manner as the eastern churchs do. No laity can handle it.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:5, topic:302011"]
In the EF the servers still take the vessels to and from the altar before and after Mass. In the Byzantine Rite, at no point should a layperson touch the sacred vessels. After Liturgy, it is still the deacon or priest who would cleanup the vessels.

[/quote]

Your first statement is incorrect. In the Extraordinary Form, only an ordained priest can touch the Sacred Vessels once the Liturgy of the Eucharist has begun. An ordained deacon can handle them once they have been cleansed after the conclusion of the Communion Rite.
By EF practices, it is forbidden for the server, sub-deacon, reader, sacristan, et c., touch the Sacred Vessels on purpose.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.